• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (51 Viewers)

Today's sightings when 12 species of wader were noted on the reserve (mainly from Andy P):

FLASHES
Wood Sandpiper (juvenile), Curlew Sandpiper (juvenile), 4 Green Sandpiper, Ringed Plover (adult), Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Avocet, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 6 Snipe, 12 Curlew, 30 Lapwing, 2 Shelduck, 4 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, c20 Teal, Water Rail from the Hen Brook Hide

MOORS POOL
2 Hobby, 3 Little Egret, Water Rail, 6 Gadwall, Common Sandpiper, 40 Lapwing, Kingfisher, Green Sandpiper, Snipe

Last edited:
Someone's Pride and Joy.

As far as I could see no one else about when this one flew in. A ringed bird - someone's pride and joy.
. Possibly came in for a rest from the wind. Hope it gets home safely.
Guess it doesn't count for month numbers but it was outstanding in the light. The peach colour in the wings is real not a trick of the light.
Moors around 6p.m.

Attachments

• DSCN9585 4.JPG
    DSCN9585 4.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 107
Quite a hiatus without an chart so here is one updating the overall monthly lists and the average total in now the seventh year of recording such data.

Attachments

• UW months.jpg
    UW months.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 34
just a few pics first 2 from the weekend ,next 2 this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_8596 (3).JPG
    IMG_8596 (3).JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8602 (2).JPG
    IMG_8602 (2).JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8604 (2).JPG
    IMG_8604 (2).JPG
    577.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8614 (2).JPG
    IMG_8614 (2).JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 58
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Curlew Sand---------------------Wood Sand.Both present this evening.
Avocet (3)-------------------------Green Sand (5)
Curlew (13)-----------------------Snipe (4)
LRP (ad + juv)--------------------Med Gull (juv). Noted at 19.30 after an influx of B H Gulls.
Shoveler (8)-----------------------Teal (56)
Gadwall (3)------------------------Shelduck (2 juv)
Peregrine

MOORS:
Common Sand---------------------Lapwing (72)
Swift (6)----------------------------Little Egret (2)
B H Gull (c550)--------------------L B B Gull (72)
Herring Gull (14)------------------Cormorant (10)
Kestrel-----------------------------Kingfisher
Greylag Goose (68)---------------Canada Goose (c300)
Little Grebe (2)--------------------Coal Tit (1). West hide feeding station.
Gadwall (4)------------------------Teal (4)
Hobby (ad + juv)------------------Coot (62)
Cetti's Warbler (2)-----------------Mute Swan (6)

Des.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Curlew Sand---------------------Wood Sand.Both present this evening.
Avocet (3)-------------------------Green Sand (5)
Curlew (13)-----------------------Snipe (4)
LRP (ad + juv)--------------------Med Gull (juv). Noted at 19.30 after an influx of B H Gulls.
Shoveler (8)-----------------------Teal (56)
Gadwall (3)------------------------Shelduck (2 juv)
Peregrine

MOORS:
Common Sand---------------------Lapwing (72)
Swift (6)----------------------------Little Egret (2)
B H Gull (c550)--------------------L B B Gull (72)
Herring Gull (14)------------------Cormorant (10)
Kestrel-----------------------------Kingfisher
Greylag Goose (68)---------------Canada Goose (c300)
Little Grebe (2)--------------------Coal Tit (1). West hide feeding station.
Gadwall (4)------------------------Teal (4)
Hobby (ad + juv)------------------Coot (62)
Cetti's Warbler (2)-----------------Mute Swan (6)

Des.

Differing / additional counts from Andy P yesterday at the Flashes were:

7 Snipe, 74 Lapwing, 4 Little Egret, Little Grebe, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat

At the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

No sign of the Wood Sandpiper but Curlew Sandpiper still. Also 3 Green Sandpiper, 6 Snipe, Little Ringed Plover (juvenile only), 3 Avocet, 12 Curlew, 40 Lapwing, 46 Teal, 10 Shoveler, 2 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall, Little Grebe, 2 Peregrine, 2 Cetti's, 2 Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Water Rail.

A distant view of last nights Med Gull. At the Moors, B H Gull 2K44 was present yesterday.

Des.

Attachments

• Med Gull- Flashes.jpg
    Med Gull- Flashes.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 47
Bits and Pieces

Highlights for me at the Moors around lunch time - ish - forgot my watch.

The leucistic hyrid which I think is mostly greylag meets Canada goose.

The Canadas from everywhere flew into the North Moors Pool and were vociferous with their presence. They flew out in large dribs and drabs but there were quite a few left as I left.

My thanks to AJP for showing where I could get a better view of the hobby. It meant that it was shot against the light but I can live with that. The weather forecast for Saturday is better so hopefully it will be around for the Alldayer.

Attachments

• DSCN9634 a.JPG
    DSCN9634 a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCN9698a.jpg
    DSCN9698a.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN9719 a.JPG
    DSCN9719 a.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 59
Goldfinches

At the Flashes early afternoon the curlew sandpiper and green sandpiper were showing well on and off. The common snipe were most obliging generally showing in the area closest to the hide

The highlight for me was being able to see the goldfinch pair fly in and to feed off the teasels at the edge of the channel to the left of the hide. The sun was actually shining as well.

Attachments

• DSCN9817 (3).JPG
    DSCN9817 (3).JPG
    229 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
In advance of Saturday's all -dayer I attach a check-list for those who wish to use one during the day.

Attachments

• autumn checklist 2019.xlsx
    17.7 KB · Views: 26
At the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

No sign of the Wood Sandpiper but Curlew Sandpiper still. Also 3 Green Sandpiper, 6 Snipe, Little Ringed Plover (juvenile only), 3 Avocet, 12 Curlew, 40 Lapwing, 46 Teal, 10 Shoveler, 2 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall, Little Grebe, 2 Peregrine, 2 Cetti's, 2 Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Water Rail.

More bad news as Mike reports no sign of the Curlew Sand yesterday evening :-C
Present were the juvenile Little Ringed Plover, 3 Avocet, 4 Green Sandpiper, 9 Curlew, 5 Snipe, Kingfisher, 68 Greylag Geese and the 2 juvenile Shelduck (only recorded once on an Autumn All-Dayer). No sign of Wednesday's Med Gull in the roost.

Andy P had 2 Hobbys again at the Moors Pool yesterday.

The current forecast for the All-Dayer is a "nice" day - sunny with temperatures of 17C. The lack of rain or even overcast conditions won't help; neither will a light wind veering from NNW to NNE during the course of the day. Hope I am wrong but got a feeling unless its already on the reserve it won't be dropping in except potentially a passage raptor or tern; on the flip side hopefully any warblers on site will be active in the sun. Some rain this afternoon (albeit on the back of a direct westerly) may drop something in advance of the day. As a guide the first five days of September produced a total of 83 species.

Barn Owl seen twice this morning at the Flashes from 5:50am as per Andy P. Also juvenile Little Ringed Plover, 3 Avocet, 13 Curlew, 7 Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, 56 Lapwing and now just 1 juvenile Shelduck.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool today Andy P reports:

Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Snipe, 73 Lapwing, 6 Teal (5 on North Moors Pool), 4 Gadwall, Shoveler (North Moors Pool), Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, 2 Kingfisher. Coal Tit, Nuthatch (heard) at North Moors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back