• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

30 Avocet, 5 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Oystercatcher, Common Sand, 16 Lapwing, 4 Shelduck, 5 Shoveler, 2 Teal, Gadwall

Last edited:
An early start (0615) at the moors on quite a chilly morning

Teal (2 on NM)
GS Woodpecker (NM)
Green Woodpecker (NM)
Shelduck (1)
Shoveler (19)
Gadwall (5)
Pochard (1 pair)
Tufted Duck (64)
Little Grebe (4)
GC Grebe (3)
Oystercatcher (3)
Snipe (3)
Common Sand (2)
Skylark (1)
Sand Martin (20-30)
Willow Warbler (1)
Sedge Warbler (a few!)
Song Thrush (2)

...then over to the flashes for 1030-1630
Shelduck (4)
Gadwall (3)
Teal (4)
LRP (3)
Reed Warbler (1)
Avocet (27)

Garden Warbler on the east side of the Moors Pool by Lifestyles early morning as per Paul C.

28 Avocet, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Green Sandpiper, 14 Lapwing, 8 Teal, 7 Shoveler at the Flashes as per JTB

Yesterday Evening at the Flashes

After a late trip to the garden emporium across the road I ambled down to the Flashes to make the visit doubly worthwhile.
On the way down the pair of tufted and the GCG shone beautifully in the late evening light. Then on the pathway to the Flashes, in the dead tree was a beautifully puffed up seated little egret.

Tim O was in the hide and my thanks to him, not only for his company, but for his patience in finding me some of the birds either as live bodies or sounds.
Had it not been for him I would have missed the green sandpiper which he heard fly in just after we had left the hide. We went back ! The light was glorious on it and I now have a video of it calling which is magical. Wish that I had let the recording run a little longer. The somewhat plaintiff calling was I'm sure eventually answered but I only heard it on playback

An equally impressive display from a LRP, captured on video not only calling but displaying as well. Sadly, and much as I love the BHGs, they drowned out its song.

Extra to anything else recorded yesterday 3 stock doves, 1white dove and a plethora of Canadas dotted around all over in the undergrowth inside and outside in the fields. A pair of mallards also feeding well. On that not the avocets were feeding in various places and notably a pair were doing so in the small muddy pool on the sewage meadow. Hopefully then the food source is now recovering.

Noted and well hidden an OYC and a lapwing apparently and hopefully sitting,

Tim and ! heard a chiff chaff and he also picked up a lesser whitethroat singing.

When we left about 7.40 any large gulls, commons or meds were conspicuous by their absence. The little egret flew back in to the dead tree but it didn't give the impression that it was going to settle for the night. Looks as though the green sand did.

All in all a good if somewhat short and unintended visit.

Phil E

From the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports;

Common Sandpiper, Common Tern straight through north, 2 Pochard, 2 Snipe, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 7+ Sedge Warbler, 4 Reed Warbler, 3 Willow Warbler

Not much to add to the above:

Moors - Cetti's at least 4 singing, Teal 4 on NM
Hen Pool - W. Rail 2 & L. Grebe 2
Flashes - S. Martin 2, Gadwall 3

At least 3, possibly 4, racyinged BHGs on the reserve today:

2A23 - black letters/numbers on yellow darvic (Flashes)
2BTV - white on black darvic (Flashes)
24NO - black on white darvic (Flashes)
24HO - black on white darvic (Moors) this may have been a misread of the above ring, although this one has been previously recorded on the reserve

2A23 seems to be resident, it's on the Flashes again today along with EH53, another with black letters on yellow darvic that has been seen previously. Phil - If it's not evident from the info from the ringer, 2A23 is a female.
Also what appears to be a 'new' BHG - 26V7 black lettering on a white ring

Last edited:
Feedng Station Funding

Now that we are no longer supplied with food from the Pet Store company..we have to buy the food ourselves.
If anyone would like to donate to tbe fund please speak to any wardens.
Today I received a kind donation from Bob W. Thanks BobB :):t:

Garden Warbler on the east side of the Moors Pool by Lifestyles early morning as per Paul C.

28 Avocet, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Green Sandpiper, 14 Lapwing, 8 Teal, 7 Shoveler at the Flashes as per JTB

Also at Flashes:-
2 pairs of Little grebe. Hen pool and 3rd Flash.
After a cool, misty start the temperature rose dramatically from 7 - 22 degrees on my car thermometer by late morning.
Very obvious today was the influx of singing warblers all over the RESERVE.
Little egret, shelduck 6. Gadwall pr. tufted 12.
Common sand.
BHG 174 nests so far.
Water rail. Coot c20.
Kingfisher.
Song thrush 2. Sand martin 2. Swallow.
Sedge warbler 5 min. Reed w. Cetti's w. Blackcap 5. Willow w 2. Chiffchaff 2.
Greenfinch 2. Bullfinch. Linnet 2 singing. Goldfinch 5.
Reed bunting 5.

SAILING POOL:-
GCG 6. Greylag 8.
Common sand.
Lesser Whitethroat.

MOORS:-

Mostly at North Moors..where there was plenty of warbler activity in the plantation and in the reeds.
Tufted 6. Teal 3.
Peregrine male.
Song thrush 2.
Blackcap 4. Lesser whitethroat top of drive in A38 field. Reed warbler 2. Sedge warbler 5. Cetti's w 2. Willow warbler 3. Chiffchaff 2.
Greenfinch . Bullfinch 2. Chaffinch.

From the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports:

2 Avocet briefly, Common Sandpiper, 3 Snipe, 1s Common Gull, 2 Pochard, 3 Gadwall, 10 Shoveler, Lesser Whitethroat, Coal Tit, Meadow Pipit over

Not much to add to the above:

Moors - Cetti's at least 4 singing, Teal 4 on NM
Hen Pool - W. Rail 2 & L. Grebe 2
Flashes - S. Martin 2, Gadwall 3

At least 3, possibly 4, ringed BHGs on the reserve today:

24HO - black on white darvic (Moors) this may have been a misread of the above ring, although this one has been previously recorded on the reserve

24N0 was previously seen at the Flashes on the 20th May 2017. The bird is believed to have originated from the Cotswold Water Park schemo but no response from the programme coordinator.

From the Flashes Tim O reports:

30 Avocets, 7 Lapwing, Common Sand, 3 Little Ringed Plover, Oystercatcher, 2 Linnet, Gadwall, Shoveler, Shelduck

Carl J has a further 3 Common Sandpiper at the Sailing Pool to make a total of 5 across the reserve.

At least 3, possibly 4, ringed BHGs on the reserve today:

Black-headed Gull sporting a black leg ring with white code 2BTV noted at the Flashes on 17th April was ringed at Marsh Lane NR on the 7th June 2017 in the nest as a pullus. The only other sighting since then was on the 6th April 2019 at Woolston Eyes near Warrington.

Last edited:
At the half way point in April the monthly list has reached 92 species whilst the year list has climbed to 113. Some hard work is going to be needed to keep up with the April average of 113.67 species

Potential additions for the remainder of the month include:

Garganey, Pochard, Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Sanderling, Redshank, Greenshank, Whimbrel, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull, Black Tern, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Feral Pigeon, Cuckoo, Swift, Wheatear, Whinchat, Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Treecreeper, Nuthatch

Feral pigeon at the Flashes last Sunday (14th April)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back