• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Okeechobee (1 Viewer)

merryslug

I work frequently on this big lake and it's given me a lot of birds: Swallowtail and Snail kites, Bald Eagles, Roseate Spoonbills, etc..

I've got pretty much every wading bird except for the Reddish Egret, and the Great White Heron (or white morph). A lot of the secretive rails and the sora are out there but I can't list them yet.

Problem is, my eyesight is pretty cruddy, so the bird has to be fairly obvious for me to get a good look at it. I don't have a scope yet, but have a decent set of binoculars.

I'm off now to go check out a spot on the north side of the lake where a co-worker says he's seen Inca Doves. :t:

Last edited:
Are you sure they are not Common Ground-Doves? Inca Doves are unrecorded in Florida (yet), though I expect them to show up as a vagrant at some point.

Reddish Egrets are relatively common on the gulf coast of Florida. Try Ft Myers Beach or Bunche Beach. Ding Darling and Tigertail Beach have them, as well.

Great White Heron? Florida Keys (on spoil islands) or Everglades National Park (Flamingo area, at low tide) are good bets.

Carlos

I've tried Ft Meyers and Ding Darling with no luck yet.

Not 100% sure about the Inca doves but my co-worker knows his stuff, and I think there's a legitimate possibility. If I fnd them I'll get pics.

I ended up not going today - didn't realize how late it was. If I can afford the gas before next payday then I'll go tomorrow :)

Are you sure they are not Common Ground-Doves? Inca Doves are unrecorded in Florida (yet), though I expect them to show up as a vagrant at some point.

Yep, common ground doves :C Still pretty though, and I did find one book that said Inca Doves have bred in Key West.

Most exciting thing I saw today was a Swallow tailed Kite that wouldn't pose for his picture, and maybe some Barn swallows that don't know my book doesn't include them in Florida.

I was able to see a Great White Heron (color morph of the Great Blue Heron) while taking a "Shark Valley" tram tour in the Everglades (1997). * A very nice looking bird, elegant!

I was able to see a Great White Heron (color morph of the Great Blue Heron) while taking a "Shark Valley" tram tour in the Everglades (1997). * A very nice looking bird, elegant!

Good for you! Sounds like I need to arrange a real tour once it stops being a thousand degrees during the day ;)

Passerine fall migration starts in late July here in South Florida. Fall migration is already well underway here in August, particularly with shorebirds but also with songbirds. Neotropical Songbird migration (warblers, thrushes, vireos, orioles, etc) reaches a climax in late September/early October in numbers and diversity before ending in late October.

Carlos

Ah! That would explain it. Thanks for the info - I bet they were Barn Swallows then. I'll try for pictures next time - though they don't like to hold still...

Pulling into the boat ramp yesterday we surprised two mating Sandhill Cranes.

Sorry! :eek!:

I think I might be able to get the Barn Swallows on a phon eline at hte Pahokee Marina. I may try this weekend.

We spent the last couple of days in an area of the Lake O marsh that I rarely frequent - Moonshine Bay.

It was quickly clear that the birds are loving the area right now. Our airboat would scare them up left and right. I got my partners to drive while I sat with camera ready. The results are blurry shots of birds flying away :)

Black bellied Whistling Ducks
Picture3.jpg

Wood Duck
IMG_1440a.JPG

American Bittern
American Bittern, Moonshine Bay Lake O FL, Oct 6 2010, 1a.jpg

Snipe
Snipe, Moonshine Bay Lake O FL, Oct 6 2010.jpg

Immature Purple Gallinule
Picture1.jpg

Male Snail Kite was hanging out at the boat ramp by Okeechobee (city) today.

Attachments

• Snail Kite, Lock 7, Oct 11 2010, 1a.jpg
    Snail Kite, Lock 7, Oct 11 2010, 1a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Snail Kite, Lock 7, Oct 11 2010, 2a.jpg
    Snail Kite, Lock 7, Oct 11 2010, 2a.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 136
Took a helicopter trip around the marsh today and found a Bald Eagles' nest near Observation Island. The adults were not around but two (rather large) eaglets were:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 132
Spent a recent Saturday in Clewiston at the STA 5. We had 65+ species, however the other half of the group had 83. Snail Kites, northern harriers, Am Bittern and purple gall, as well as the purple swamp hens. Lots of Limpkins, spoonbills and blacknecked stilts. Two Peregrine falcon was seen.A great place to spend a day! I think it is only open on Saturdays.

Spent a recent Saturday in Clewiston at the STA 5. We had 65+ species, however the other half of the group had 83. Snail Kites, northern harriers, Am Bittern and purple gall, as well as the purple swamp hens. Lots of Limpkins, spoonbills and blacknecked stilts. Two Peregrine falcon was seen.A great place to spend a day! I think it is only open on Saturdays.

Isn't STA-5 the one you have to sign up for in advance? Never been to that one, but heard its legend many times. STA-1 which I think is the public one on 880 by comparison is pretty dead.

Yes, you do have to sign up for STA-5 in advance. You can sing up through Hendry-Glades Audubon. It was definitely worth it!

Just found out today that a pair of Whooping Cranes were hanging around the western marsh just south of Fisheating Bay. When I expressed surprise, the western crew said "Oh yeah, they've been there for some time. They're gone now though 'cause it's dried up."

Really??? As a birder you didn't think I'd be interested in this information?????

* bangs head against wall *

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back