• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falklands escapade 14 - 25 Feb (1 Viewer)

Port Stanley 19-02-07

Anyone who has visited the north west of Scotland will feel right at home in Port Stanley. From the rugged coastline to the brightly coloured houses all of your senses tell you that Ullapool is just round the corner. It is sometimes difficult to believe you are 8,000 miles from the UK. The difference though can be seen instantly in the wildlife. A walk along the sea front brings you Kelp Gulls and Magellanic Oystercatchers, so far you could still be in the UK, but then you come across the Kelp Geese, Steamer Ducks and Night Herons. These last 3 are ridiculously easy to watch from the seafront path and they go about their business with hardly a glance in your direction. Add that to the Rock Shags, Skua’s, Giant Petrels and the occasional Commerson’s Dolphin in the bay and it all adds up to a delightful little stroll, despite the wind and rain. Carrying on the stroll through Stanley itself found Falkland Thrushes rummaging in the gardens and Black Chinned Siskins and House Sparrows moving in small groups. The latter two species I’d surprisingly not seen up until that point.

Attachments

• kelp goose 1.JPG
    kelp goose 1.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 261
  • night heron 4.JPG
    night heron 4.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 131
  • steamer 3.JPG
    steamer 3.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 137
  • steamer 4.JPG
    steamer 4.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 129
  • thrush 1.JPG
    thrush 1.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 149
We were lucky enough to get to the Falklands earlier this year and had a fantastic time. The wildlife is amazing!!
Did you manage to get to see the black-browed albatross while you were there? They are pretty special too.
Can't wait to try and get back there again

Yve said:
We were lucky enough to get to the Falklands earlier this year and had a fantastic time. The wildlife is amazing!!
Did you manage to get to see the black-browed albatross while you were there? They are pretty special too.
Can't wait to try and get back there again

I'd love to get back there also. Unfortunately I missed out on the Albatrosses!! Couldnt get to Pembroke point and a planned trip to Sea Lion Island got cancelled at the last moment and we had no time to organise a visit to one of the other islands. I'm still gutted!!!!

Port Stanley and Darwin 20-02-07

It’s a very wet day. It’s a very windy day. The fishing fleet had come into the anchorage to take shelter from the weather, never a good sign. We began by heading again to Gypsy Cove for another look at the Jackass Penguins. Most had decided to huddle together against the elements although one little soul had climbed the banks and indulged me in a game of peek-a-boo. It was the closest I was to come to the species. There was little else on the headland, a pair of Kelp Geese had made their way to the plateau but apart from the Rock Shags on the ledges, birds were noticeably absent. As we turned to leave bus loads of tourists from a cruise ship had started to arrive. The site soon became swamped in people and so we made our way elsewhere. I’d planned to go to the Lighthouse at Pembroke Point just a few miles away to indulge in a bit of sea watching and maybe pick up Albatross and Shearwaters, but on finding the track it was obvious that we’d need an amphibious vehicle to get to the site. The rain had started to get heavy by now and with Stanley full of wet tourists we decided to head on back to MPA.

On the way back Paula spotted a large bird of prey near to the settlement of Fitzroy. The large white wing patches were diagnostic of Southern Caracara and so we quickly stopped to get a better view. By sheer luck and to our great delight we’d stopped next to another one!!!!! Quite calmly the bird strolled past the vehicle and stood looking at the other one flying a short distance away. What an amazing looking creature. I managed to take a few photo’s and even managed to turn the camcorder onto it for a few minutes before it finally lifted off and joined it’s companion.

Once back at MPA we picked up a friend Christine and headed towards Darwin House for “smoko”. Before then however, the girls had a little surprise for me. At nearby Goose Green there is a jetty with an old wreck at the end. The wreck has been incorporated into the jetty and inside the remains of the vessel there is a small colony of Rock Shags and Black Crowned Night Herons. With the a couple of Steamer Duck and Crested Duck under the jetty itself, it made for a nice little detour. I wonder how many other little sites like this are scattered around the islands? In the conservatory at Darwin House we had our “Smoko” – tea/coffee and a superb selection of cakes – and I was able to just gaze out into the bay and watch the Terns, Skua’s and Giant petrels flying back and forth.

Attachments

• jackass 4.JPG
    jackass 4.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 124
  • caracara 1.JPG
    caracara 1.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 133
  • crested duck 1.JPG
    crested duck 1.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 150
  • night heron 5.JPG
    night heron 5.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 119
  • rock shag 3.JPG
    rock shag 3.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 122
San Carlos/Darwin/Goose Green 21-02-07

Today wasn’t really a bird watching day but it did allow for a few interesting opportunities. The main aim was to visit the British Military Cemetery at San Carlos and the Argentinean one at Darwin. At San Carlos I was able to have a very close encounter with a Falkland Thrush in the gorse bushes. Ridiculously tame, it was happy to pose for a few photo’s before going on it’s way, At Darwin we were able to get good views of Crested Duck and Silver Teal, and as we were in the area, we couldn’t resist taking another peek at the jetty at Goose Green. This proved to be a good move as we soon had a close encounter with a Turkey Vulture on the shore line and an even closer one when 2 of them landed on the wreck. I still don’t know whether or not to call them beautiful, but they are impressive birds. Leaving Goose Green we came across a dark phase Red Backed (Variable) Hawk perched on a fence. Another first for me, it appeared to be a juvenile and was calling quite loudly. It flew off into a field, but we could see no others of the species in the area. On the way back to MPA we chanced upon Blackish Oystercatcher’s in one of the inlets and another Red Backed Hawk.

The day though ended on a big downer. We had planned a to visit Sea Lion Island (one of the best nature reserves in the Falklands) the next day, but we returned to MPA find that it had been cancelled.

Attachments

• thrush 2.JPG
    thrush 2.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 134
  • teal 1.JPG
    teal 1.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 120
  • steamer 5.JPG
    steamer 5.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 132
  • vulture 1.JPG
    vulture 1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 126
  • hawk 1.JPG
    hawk 1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 127
Bertha’s Beach 22-02-07

Still disappointed from our cancelled trip we started to make plans for what would be our last day out. We tried to get the keys for bertha’s beach only to be told that all 3 sets had already been booked out. So, after confirming that we were allowed to do so, we decided to park up at the top car park and walk to the Gentoo colony. A round trip, as it turned out, of about 10 miles.

Despite 3 sets of keys being booked out, we had the place to ourselves. Clear blue skies, gorgeous white sands and just enough of a wind to cause the waves to crash onto the shore. Fantastic. The first thing that was apparent to me once we reached the beach was the lack of White-rumped Sandpiper. They were still about, but not in the numbers of four days previously. The migration season had begun and I wondered how these tiny little birds were fairing on their journey north.

After passing a pair of disgruntled Steamer Duck we got to the colony. They were more spread out along the beach today and so while Paula went and had a look at some of those, I made my way to the main colony which was still full of moulting Penguins. The King Penguin was nowhere to be found but the Gentoo’s were as endearing as ever. Without a care in the world they carried on with their life as if we were invisible. So just sat there with the camcorder and filmed life in the colony, alternating now and again to the stills camera. As an added bonus, the colony was visited by 5 Dolphin Gulls (a first for me) and I was able to watch them carrying out their cleaning duties in amongst the Gentoo’s. Just before we left, we spotted 4 Peals Dolphins cruising just beyond the surf zone. They didn’t get close enough for photo opportunities, but it was nice to see them. Finally, with heavy hearts, we had to drag ourselves away. It was probably one of the saddest moments I’ve had. Penguins are just too easy to get attached to.

Before reaching to top car park we managed to find a pair of Two-banded Plover and White-rumped Sandpiper bathing. We also had 3 Ruddy Headed Geese run across the path in front of us. They must have run about 300 metres, I’ve no idea why they didn’t just fly!!

Attachments

• steamer 6.JPG
    steamer 6.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 68
  • gentoo and gull.JPG
    gentoo and gull.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 74
  • gentoo 9.JPG
    gentoo 9.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 71
  • gentoo 10.JPG
    gentoo 10.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 68
  • plover and sandpiper.JPG
    plover and sandpiper.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Whilst we were at Bertha's Beach for the last time Paula lay on the sand to watch the Penguins (and in the process got covered in poo). A few curious Gentoo came up to her for a look.

Attachments

• DSCN0681.JPG
    DSCN0681.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0693.JPG
    DSCN0693.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 77
MPA 23/25-02-07

With Paula Back at work and no transport available, my last few days in the Falklands were spent watching the Upland Geese and Turkey Vultures around the MPA complex.

The Falklands has about 60 resident species of bird. During my short stay I’d managed to view 38 of them and that’s without visiting the outlying islands. In order seen they are,

Turkey Vulture
Upland Goose
Kelp Gull
Black Throated Finch
Falkland Pipit
Dark faced Ground Tyrant
Falkland Thrush
Long Tailed Meadowlark
Southern Giant Petrel
Rock Shag
Falkland Skua
South American Tern
Black Crowned Night Heron
Kelp Goose
Chiloe Wigeon
Speckled Teal
Yellow Billed Pintail
Silver Teal
Silvery Grebe
Ruddy Headed Goose
Tussacbird
White Rumped Sandpiper
Two banded Plover
Magellanic Oystercatcher
Falkland Steamer Duck
Gentoo Penguin
King Penguin
Rufous Chested Dotterel
Crested Duck
White Tufted Grebe
Black Necked Swan
Magellanic Penguin
Black Chinned Siskin
House Sparrow
Southern (Crested) Caracara
Red Backed (Variable) Hawk
Blackish Oystercatcher
Dolphin Gull

The highlight of the trip though has to be the time spent amongst the Gentoo Penguins on Bertha’s Beach. Being able to watch them in their native habitat is something I’d always wanted to do, but I never thought I’d get the opportunity to experience the sights, sounds and indeed smell’s at such close hand. It’s a memory I will treasure for ever.

I hope this thread has been of interest to you all, and thank you for the kind comments here and in the gallery about some of the photo’s I’ve taken. For this, credit must go to the wildlife of the Falkland Islands. They made it incredibly easy at times and it was a joy to be able to record them in their natural environment.

Attachments

• vulture 2.JPG
    vulture 2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 69
  • goose 1.JPG
    goose 1.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 61
  • steamer 7.JPG
    steamer 7.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 60
  • gentoo 11.JPG
    gentoo 11.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 70
  • gentoo 12.JPG
    gentoo 12.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 65
Scamp123 said:
Whilst we were at Bertha's Beach for the last time Paula lay on the sand to watch the Penguins (and in the process got covered in poo). A few curious Gentoo came up to her for a look.

So they weren't Gentoo... they were Genpoo!!! :-O

BTW, nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Jase

It was my pleasure to take you around a few of the local patches.
A shame we didnt have more time to get out together.
38 not bad, I have had 63 in my 5 months here, making a Falkland
life total of 68.
Still got a few weeks left, a stray Chilean Swallow, Eared Dove
or Cattle Egret would be nice.

Slasher

Blightybirder said:
Jase

life total of 68.

Slasher

I'll keep my fingers crossed for favourable winds, good luck in your searching

Jase

Great stuff Scamp,im realy enjoying your posts and the photos are brill you can taste the salt in the air.Top job mate top job!!

Scamp123 said:
Any other Birds you would have been so annoyed getting covered in poo, but with Penguins you just can't get annoyed with them.

Totally agree with Dafi.

Blightybirder said:
Jase

life total of 68.

Slasher

I am sure you will be able to string a few, 2 out of ten for the Kelp Gull last week.

Chilean Swallow and Cattle Egret time is here!!!!

Cheers

Alan

Although I didnt get to go to Sea Lion Island, here are few of Paula's snaps from her 2 visits. I'm still gutted I didnt get to go.

Attachments

• caracara 1.JPG
    caracara 1.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 55
  • caracara 2.JPG
    caracara 2.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 48
  • gentoo young.JPG
    gentoo young.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 64
  • rockhopper 1.JPG
    rockhopper 1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 61
  • rockhopper 2.JPG
    rockhopper 2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 53
Well done Paula.

Love the first one of the Penguins. Looks like an audition for Pop Idol is taking place, think he has passed the first round!

curious there Scamp i wonder whats going on with that first raptor pic of Paulas. It looks like the crop is bulging and bare. What sort of bird is that?

dafi said:
curious there Scamp i wonder whats going on with that first raptor pic of Paulas. It looks like the crop is bulging and bare. What sort of bird is that?

It's a juvenile Striated Caracara. Apparently that's normal in the young ones. I'm not sure why, maybe some of the more knowledgable members out there can help in some way.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back