• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 (1 Viewer)

just ordered a FSB-6 bracket from ace of bicycle so looks like i'll be "upgrading" (?) to the P5000 from my P4.
i've been following this story since upgrading from my 60mm Fieldscope III ED to a ED82 for digiscoping and had been wondering what Nikon was up to in regards to next-generation digiscoping cameras.

I've just ordered the P5000 and ED82 (my first ever scope) but am having trouble locating an FSB-6 seller on the internet in the EU. I guess it's so new it'll just take a while till the bracket becomes more readily available. I also ordered the UR-E20 adapter for the P5000, so I'm hoping that is going to help me somehow connect the camera to the scope by some other means till I can get an FSB-6.

I've just ordered the P5000 and ED82 (my first ever scope) but am having trouble locating an FSB-6 seller on the internet in the EU. I guess it's so new it'll just take a while till the bracket becomes more readily available. I also ordered the UR-E20 adapter for the P5000, so I'm hoping that is going to help me somehow connect the camera to the scope by some other means till I can get an FSB-6.

i had to do a lot of searching before i found one for sale.
check ebay for the Japanese seller "ace_of_bicycle2004".
it's not cheap though...

I'm a convert :t:

I received mine yesterday and gave it a go today - despite the cloud cover and cold winds.

I'm quite impressed with the detailed gained considering no cable release was used and light levels were a lot lower that I prefer.

My only gripe is the sensor noise. ISO64 and ISO100 are fine but ISO200 and up are grainy - though to be fair this maybe less of an issue in better conditions.

I'll be using it with the Swarovski ATS 80 HD with which the 30x seems to give better results than the 20-60x due to less vignetting from the eyepeice.

Attachments

• DSCN0115bo.JPG
    DSCN0115bo.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN0192ao.JPG
    DSCN0192ao.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0193ao.JPG
    DSCN0193ao.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN0194ao.JPG
    DSCN0194ao.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN0215ao.JPG
    DSCN0215ao.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 219
I'm a convert :t:

I received mine yesterday and gave it a go today - despite the cloud cover and cold winds.

I'm quite impressed with the detailed gained considering no cable release was used and light levels were a lot lower that I prefer.

My only gripe is the sensor noise. ISO64 and ISO100 are fine but ISO200 and up are grainy - though to be fair this maybe less of an issue in better conditions.

I'll be using it with the Swarovski ATS 80 HD with which the 30x seems to give better results than the 20-60x due to less vignetting from the eyepeice.

those pics are very inspiring :cool:

i had to do a lot of searching before i found one for sale.
check ebay for the Japanese seller "ace_of_bicycle2004".
it's not cheap though...

Thanks for the info, Revs. I've just sent an email to Nikon support asking when the FSB-6 will be available over here.

Great pictures Ian! What ISO setting(s) did you use for these?

They're all ISO100+filtered using PictureCooler. I binned the ones at higher settings.

I'd like to give ISO64 a go, but the shutter speed was just too low in the conditions today.

well, traded in my old 60mm scope for a new P5000 today and on first impression, it looks like fun.
i never used VR on my P4 but i think i will leave it on the new camera for now.

i'll let you know how it scopes once i get my bracket.

Ian,
These results look promising. I'm disappointed if the noise levels aren't acceptable at iso 200 as this is the main gripe I have with the 8400. When you get some good light run the zoom out to 60x and give it a test.Neil.

Did more testing in excessive sunlight. Set EV to -0.3. Set aperture to f 4.x. The shutter speed was surprisingly slow 1/30 - 1/100 where I would have expected much higher given blazing sunlight.

The camera is very much a mixed bag. I'm going to try full manual on my next outing and force higher shutter speeds with similar aperture.

The ISO was 100. I've done more testing and overall my fndings compared to CP990 are:

1) Better more accurate focus
2) Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture
3) More good - very good shots
4) Fewer excellent shots

If no 2) could be addressed via firmware upgrade this would be one of the best digiscoping cameras out there for someone that doesn't need to have 'perfect' pictures. For digiscoping though, I would recommend that any new buyer should seriously compare with the Fuji F31 or the Fuji F30 which may provide much better value.

For non digiscoping use, I find the camera very versatile given the range of add-on lenses available that are relatively inexpensive.

Overall I am happy with the P5000.

The ISO was 100. I've done more testing and overall my fndings compared to CP990 are:

1) Better more accurate focus
2) Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture
3) More good - very good shots
4) Fewer excellent shots

If no 2) could be addressed via firmware upgrade this would be one of the best digiscoping cameras out there for someone that doesn't need to have 'perfect' pictures. For digiscoping though, I would recommend that any new buyer should seriously compare with the Fuji F31 or the Fuji F30 which may provide much better value.

For non digiscoping use, I find the camera very versatile given the range of add-on lenses available that are relatively inexpensive.

Overall I am happy with the P5000.

Hey ! How can a camera have "Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture" given the same ISO value and the same target ? Shouldn't that be a mathematical formula equal for all cameras ?

it blows away my old P4 so in that regard the P5000 is an excellent camera, particularily when mated to a FSB-6 bracket.

Hey ! How can a camera have "Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture" given the same ISO value and the same target ? Shouldn't that be a mathematical formula equal for all cameras ?

Don't think so. In full manual, you can set aperture, shutter and ISO independently.

I've been using the camera for digiscoping using the 'burst' mode - 'a series of sequential shots' is a better description - just to get a few differing poses.

The slow focus isn't a real problem in digiscoping as it's not a speedy technique.

Image quality is far superior to the CP4500 and it's less fiddly to use as you don't need a cable release.

The only issue I have with the camera is the vignetting - with the CP4500 the 20-60x zoom was ideal - but with the P5000 you really need a wider eyepiece such as the 30x.

Hi Ian

Thanks for that, you are using the zoom right? how many actual clicks of the optical zoom on the camera do you have to use before you have an unvignetted screen/pic?

Is any other user on this thread using a fixed eyepeice? if so, could i ask you the same question please?

Thanks

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back