• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

A very early record of Jack Snipe at the Flashes this morning as per Stephen Phillips. Also 3 Avocet still, 4 Common Snipe, the juvenile Little Ringed Plover and 2 Green Sandpiper.

This is the earliest ever returning Jack Snipe, beating the previous record from 1974 by one day.

Monday 9th September

This morning's combined sightings from myself, Andy P and Phil W:

SAILING POOL

Common Sandpiper, 2 Cormorant, 3 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Grey Heron

FLASHES
Male Ruff (moulted virtually out of breeding plumage) circled for approx. 4 minutes harassed by Jackdaws before landing - whereas they left it alone - and fed voraciously on near shore only to disappear after 5 mins when Phil and I took our eyes off it.
3 Avocet, 1 Little Ringed Plover (our juvenile), 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Curlew, 53 Lapwing, 6 Snipe, 24 Shoveler, 4 Gadwall, 53 Teal, 2 Tufted Duck, 1 Little Grebe (juvenile), 59 Coot, 33 Moorhen, 185 BH Gull, 3 LBB Gull, Water Rail, Peregrine, Grey Wagtail

MOORS POOL
Little Egret, 8 Curlew, 6 Snipe, 59 Lapwing, 4 Shoveler, 6 Gadwall, 4 Teal, 10 Tufted Duck, 3 Little Grebe, 64 Greylag Geese, 355 Canada Geese, 6 Mute Swan, 12 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 9 Moorhen, 33 Coot, Water Rail, Kingfisher

Drake eclipse Wigeon on the Sailing Pool this morning as per Richard Baker; later relocated to the Moors Pool as per Andy P.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to please get some confirmation on what I believe to be a Whinchat at the Joyce and Arthur hide at approximately 3PM today? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0719.JPG
    DSC_0719.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0729.JPG
    DSC_0729.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0730.JPG
    DSC_0730.JPG
    447.9 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for posting...ironically Paul M and the crew cut the area the bird was in...yes Whinchat����

Thanks to Paul and the Crew for cutting the over grown area by the Feeders on the right hand side of the Water Rail Hide, I was able to take these Photos of the Whinchat. At 2.09 it was on the bullrushes and again at 2.59 when it had time for a grooming session before flying to next door where Lethiun saw it.

Attachments

• 09-10-2019_140857(2).jpg
    09-10-2019_140857(2).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 09-10-2019_145942(2).jpg
    09-10-2019_145942(2).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 09-10-2019_145942(6).jpg
    09-10-2019_145942(6).jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
From the Flashes this evening Tim reports:

3 Avocet, 3 Green Sandpiper, 40 Lapwing, 13 Curlew, juvenile Little Ringed Plover still

Thanks to Paul and the Crew for cutting the over grown area by the Feeders on the right hand side of the Water Rail Hide, I was able to take these Photos of the Whinchat. At 2.09 it was on the bullrushes and again at 2.59 when it had time for a grooming session before flying to next door where Lethiun saw it.

Who am I crediting as finder Squeelia?

A very big thank you to SQUEELIA for her very generous
donation today.
B :)john

It was worth every penny to be able to take two videos of the Whinchat. I would not have been able to even see it before the work Paul and the lads had done this morning. As a bonus I even managed a whole 2 minute video of the Water Rail.

Hi Celia
Could I use one of your photos of the whinchat on my twitter please
John:t:

Today's highlights:

MOORS/N MOORS*:
Wigeon (m+2f)------------------Shoveler (8)
Gadwall (6)----------------------Teal (3) (2)*
Snipe (2)-------------------------Green Sand (1)
Little Egret (1)-------------------Water Rail (1)
Reed Warbler (2)----------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Hobby----------------------------Sparrowhawk
Swallow (8)----------------------Greylag Goose (71)
Cormorant (12)------------------Kingfisher
Lapwing (c80)-------------------Coot (28)
Little Grebe (5)------------------L T Tit (c20)*
Coal Tit---------------------------Nuthatch. Both at the west side feeding station.
L B B Gull (c40)------------------Herring Gull (15)
Common Gull (juv) (JHWR)

FLASHES:
Avocet (3)-------------------------Green Sand (2)
Curlew (12)-----------------------Peregrine (2). In the northern field.
Teal (81)--------------------------Shoveler (12)
Gadwall (4)-----------------------Snipe (6)
B H Gull (c800)-------------------L B B Gull (21)

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back