• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Chile - Mountains and Sea (1 Viewer)

RE: Replies

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words, and for following along.

Hamhed: Well, feelings about it ending are kind of mixed. I am sorry, in a way, that I have no more of these memories to relate - that part was enjoyable; on the other hand, I'll be glad to be rid of the damn thing, it keeps me tied to this accursed machine too much. (And, not that I am the type who just has to get the last word in - I really am not - but I have still one more entry to make...)

Willto: Muchas gracias, Guillermo, por me da un nombre por ['a'?] esta lagartija. Creo que se llama "Shining Lizard" en inglés. And, what a bonus, a Chilean endemic, no less!
(It's always good to have something one is really ignorant about, and for me it is herps (well, and plants, fish, ....). Helps me relate to "muggles" when I'm leading outings, who don't automatically know what a Warbling Vireo looks like...)

RobertaG: A-ha! Lurking again, I see!
Hope you get a trip to South America (or somewhere similar) yourself, soon. And, no, I have not forgotten, I will write about Australia, someday...

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words, and for following along.

RobertaG: A-ha! Lurking again, I see!
Hope you get a trip to South America (or somewhere similar) yourself, soon. And, no, I have not forgotten, I will write about Australia, someday...

Hi Peter - yup - indeed I am still lurking and travelling vicariously via the forum, although I have now had a fab trip to Brazil at the end of last year (posted a couple of pictures in the gallery). It was a with a organised tour (so I didn't really think about a doing trip report), I'm not quite young nor brave enought to go completely on my own but have definitely got the (neo) tropical bug and am planning a trip to Ecuador towards the end of this year - this time I hope to do a bit of independant stuff too. And hey - I keep looking for the Australia report but don't like to nag ;)

Roberta

Chile 2010-2011: Epilogue - Back to life, back to reality…

The flight home was – as they always are, if one is lucky – completely uninteresting. It departed Santiago around 2145 (right on time) and got us into Toronto Pearson around 0600 the next morning. The parents-in-law were good enough to pick us up – and drive me right to my office, which happens to be very close to the Toronto airport. I was back at my desk by 0800, just like any other work day … oh, joy.

But, want to hear something really funny? The first thing we saw on the news, when we hit Toronto, was a story about the 7.1-magnitude earthquake that had hit “central Chile” the day before. We said: “what quake?” We’d been chasing Austral Thrushes around the airport when it hit, and hadn’t noticed it at all. (Apparently, the initial news reports had been a bit vague, geographically – it was centred quite a bit to the south, not in “central Chile” at all – nobody else in Santiago noticed it either.)

To sum up: I need hardly say, after going on and on about it for pages and pages (19,622 words, up to the end of Jan 02 – I counted) that the trip was a success.

But, was it an unqualified success? Well, no; I have yet to see an earthcreeper of any kind, or a Huet-huet of any throat-colour. But, in light of what we did see, it would be more than a little churlish to complain. (What’s better - three Andean Condors? … a pair of Stripe-backed Bitterns? An entire flock of Burrowing Parakeets? And, regarding that Giant Hummingbird, I am even starting to doubt myself – I feel a sort of kinship with those Air Force pilots who report seeing UFOs …)

I am not one who believes in numbers much – I don’t really think that the number of birds seen per day, or per kilometre driven, are a measure of the value of a birding trip. Even so, numbers are something that I can unambiguously communicate, so they may be useful to somebody. Here they are: in about 7.5 days, we drove about 965 km, hiked roughly 22 km, and saw 97 species. Potentially a more useful thing to look at, if you want a number, is what I would call the “lifer ratio” – i.e. how many species were life birds, out of the total number we saw. By that measure, this was the best trip I’ve had in many years – as evidenced by the fact that, when I went to work this out, I found that it was much easier to just count the non-lifers, and subtract! Of the 97 birds positively identified, 69 were lifers, and four of those Chilean endemics. (Alert readers will have noticed that this does not match the numbering of the birds in this thread; that’s because I forgot to include a Black Vulture Back on day 2, and mistakenly used #37 twice on day 3.)

Strategically, there were some good decisions we made along the way, and some bad ones (I made all of the latter on my own, of course – but Somebody should have tried to stop me!). Among the good decisions – to ask for, and carefully consider, advice from people on Birdforum; that’s how we ended up at staying at Hosteria de Vilches, and I very much doubt if would have found it otherwise. Likewise, paying close attention to Tripadvisor reports (even though these have to be judged rather more sceptically), which is how I discovered both Hacienda Laguna Torca, and the car hire company.

Another good judgment call was electing not to be too ambitious about how far we would travel once we were in Chile. I had originally planned to visit one destination in the Santiago area, and another in the Lakes district, inland from Puerto Montt. That would have an excessive amount of travel; even as it was, seemed like we spent too much time on the road.

Speaking of which, here’s an example of a really dumb decision I made: To go on that “mad dash” to the mountains on January 01. The scenery was lovely, and it was the only place we saw condors up close, but driving all the way up the Rio Teno was not worth the investment of time. It would have been a much better idea to have stayed in the lowlands that day, and just concentrated on finding the birds we still “needed” there. (As a “for instance” on last day at HLT, somebody – I won’t say who – mentioned that they have a resident Chilean Tinamou there. Ahhhhh! Now you tell us!) That said, I would do the drive up the valley of the Teno, and the one up the Rio Maule, again - but only if I were staying overnight somewhere much closer by.

In effect, I would characterize this trip as a having been not so much a birding vacation, as a very successful scouting expedition – we have now acquired some idea of where the really good locations are, all we need is another (ideally, three-week-long) trip in order to see them properly….

Hasta luego,

Peter C.

So true, even with a small country and much less one as large as Chile, there is never time enough ...

Niels

Hi Peter,
A newbie here I'm so much impressed with the pics and the story behind all the adventure. Must be having lots of fun and challenges.

But, was it an unqualified success? Well, no; I have yet to see an earthcreeper of any kind, or a Huet-huet of any throat-colour. But, in light of what we did see, it would be more than a little churlish to complain. (What’s better - three Andean Condors? … a pair of Stripe-backed Bitterns? An entire flock of Burrowing Parakeets? And, regarding that Giant Hummingbird, I am even starting to doubt myself – I feel a sort of kinship with those Air Force pilots who report seeing UFOs …)

I am not one who believes in numbers much – I don’t really think that the number of birds seen per day, or per kilometre driven, are a measure of the value of a birding trip.

Ain't that the truth?! So easy to fall into the numbers game. Did you enjoy yourself? Did you end the trip with fond memories? Did you climb up past the mundane for a time? See new places and shake up the brain cells a little?
I'd say you were very much sucessful and are already thinking about the next adventure. I'll be looking forward to reading about it! :t:

Steve

The flight home was – as they always are, if one is lucky – completely uninteresting. It departed Santiago around 2145 (right on time) and got us into Toronto Pearson around 0600 the next morning. The parents-in-law were good enough to pick us up – and drive me right to my office, which happens to be very close to the Toronto airport. I was back at my desk by 0800, just like any other work day … oh, joy.

But, want to hear something really funny? The first thing we saw on the news, when we hit Toronto, was a story about the 7.1-magnitude earthquake that had hit “central Chile” the day before. We said: “what quake?” We’d been chasing Austral Thrushes around the airport when it hit, and hadn’t noticed it at all. (Apparently, the initial news reports had been a bit vague, geographically – it was centred quite a bit to the south, not in “central Chile” at all – nobody else in Santiago noticed it either.)north carolina mountain real estate

To sum up: I need hardly say, after going on and on about it for pages and pages (19,622 words, up to the end of Jan 02 – I counted) that the trip was a success.

I am not one who believes in numbers much – I don’t really think that the number of birds seen per day, or per kilometre driven, are a measure of the value of a birding trip. Even so, numbers are something that I can unambiguously communicate, so they may be useful to somebody. Here they are: in about 7.5 days, we drove about 965 km, hiked roughly 22 km, and saw 97 species. Potentially a more useful thing to look at, if you want a number, is what I would call the “lifer ratio” – i.e. how many species were life birds, out of the total number we saw. By that measure, this was the best trip I’ve had in many years – as evidenced by the fact that, when I went to work this out, I found that it was much easier to just count the non-lifers, and subtract! Of the 97 birds positively identified, 69 were lifers, and four of those Chilean endemics. (Alert readers will have noticed that this does not match the numbering of the birds in this thread; that’s because I forgot to include a Black Vulture Back on day 2, and mistakenly used #37 twice on day 3.)

Strategically, there were some good decisions we made along the way, and some bad ones (I made all of the latter on my own, of course – but Somebody should have tried to stop me!). Among the good decisions – to ask for, and carefully consider, advice from people on Birdforum; that’s how we ended up at staying at Hosteria de Vilches, and I very much doubt if would have found it otherwise. Likewise, paying close attention to Tripadvisor reports (even though these have to be judged rather more sceptically), which is how I discovered both Hacienda Laguna Torca, and the car hire company.

Another good judgment call was electing not to be too ambitious about how far we would travel once we were in Chile. I had originally planned to visit one destination in the Santiago area, and another in the Lakes district, inland from Puerto Montt. That would have an excessive amount of travel; even as it was, seemed like we spent too much time on the road.

Speaking of which, here’s an example of a really dumb decision I made: To go on that “mad dash” to the mountains on January 01. The scenery was lovely, and it was the only place we saw condors up close, but driving all the way up the Rio Teno was not worth the investment of time. It would have been a much better idea to have stayed in the lowlands that day, and just concentrated on finding the birds we still “needed” there. (As a “for instance” on last day at HLT, somebody – I won’t say who – mentioned that they have a resident Chilean Tinamou there. Ahhhhh! Now you tell us!) That said, I would do the drive up the valley of the Teno, and the one up the Rio Maule, again - but only if I were staying overnight somewhere much closer by.

In effect, I would characterize this trip as a having been not so much a birding vacation, as a very successful scouting expedition – we have now acquired some idea of where the really good locations are, all we need is another (ideally, three-week-long) trip in order to see them properly….

Hasta luego,

Peter C.

good read but long :)

Stunning report

Hola Peter from HLT.
It was indeed a pleasure to host you and DMM on your chilean adventure, and I can only stand open mouthed at the depth and quality of your report.You certainly have a way with words and I found the adventure rivetting reading!
I am indeed fortunate to live next to the Laguna and it has supplied hours of interest and oportunities to indulge in watching the birds and animals, you missed the coypu!
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to complete your report, much appreciated.
:clap:

Thank you Mr. "Surfinchile"!

You know, I didn't even know you had Coypu there! (What, you mean, for dinner? ... ¡es de chiste, solemente un chiste!)

We never did make it to the ranger station at R.N.L.T, no doubt we would have learned more about the non-avian aspects of the resevra if we had ... but goes to show how much depth there is to be had there.

Of course, for me, the mammal is nothing ... we've got beavers coming out the wazoo up here, if one is inclined to (figuratively) hunt for large rodents. The perdiz chilena, however, THAT I regret missing!

Oh, and by the way, as is traditional here ... I see this is your first post, so welcome to BirdForum.

Many thanks for the kind welcome, I must admit to being a newcomer to birding, my long dormant interest being reawoken after moving to HLT 4 years ago. being a bit short sighted, I tend to go for the larger species, you cant miss those Black-necked swans! but also the family of 4 or 5 Black Vultures, that majestically soar around the locale, riding the thermals.
I bought a new camera last year , a Fuji finepix S 2000 with x15 zoom,and sadly it has turned out to be of rather limited perfomance, still you get what you pay for, but I intend to keep up the search for good pictures.

Attachments

• Black vulture.jpg
    Black vulture.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back