• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Hi Tiger,

Seems he has fed EJ half a fish now and then after eating himself, selfish male. He likes to fish the hard way out of the Loch he does not visit the local fish farm.

Ann

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Tiger,

Seems he has fed EJ half a fish now and then after eating himself, selfish male. He likes to fish the hard way out of the Loch he does not visit the local fish farm.

Ann
that might not be a bad thing. i have seen two birds in that area with fishing line wrapped round there legs. they pick it up from the local trout farms

Has EJ laid her first egg ???????

She appears to be sitting on the nest, I have never seen her at this before.
Hopefully she has laid her first egg and it will be a successful season.

Its a pity no one has seen Henry though.

Attachments

• video1.jpg
    video1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 178
  • video4.jpg
    video4.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 172
kas said:
Has EJ laid her first egg ???????

She appears to be sitting on the nest, I have never seen her at this before.
Hopefully she has laid her first egg and it will be a successful season.

Its a pity no one has seen Henry though.
I was thinking the same thing myself.

No update of the diary though :(

egg

Yes there does seem to be an egg in the nest on what is a snowy morning. No sign of EJ though.

Attachments

• osprey0016.jpg
    osprey0016.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 189
Well spotted Tiger_mz.

It is now an hour and a half since you posted that picture and EJ is still not back on her nest. I dont know if it is her on a perch on the other webcam, looking very wet. If so why is she not incubating ?

How long can the egg be exposed to what looks like a cold wet day, before it becomes it comes to any harm ?

Something definitely not right at Boat of Garten.The egg we saw this morning is gone and the bird that has been seen periodically at the nest today looks like a different Osprey. C'mon Mr. Warden - get your diary filled in please.

Your right something is wrong.
Having been at home all day, I keep going back to the webcam and have only seen a bird on the nest once.
It is sooooooo fruastrating seeing the webcam pictures and not knowing what is actually happening!

therealijn said:
Something definitely not right at Boat of Garten.The egg we saw this morning is gone and the bird that has been seen periodically at the nest today looks like a different Osprey. C'mon Mr. Warden - get your diary filled in please.
I agree that something is wrong. The egg may well be covered up but it is still srange behaviour.

Osprey Diary

I had a reply to an e-mail to the Osprey Centre when I queried why the diary was only updated weekly. The lady said the staff were very busy and there had been problems at HQ where the diary is put on the internet. But I think so early in proceedings this ought to be a priority until things settle down and then we would be happy with weekly reports. At the moment we are just relying on talking amongst ourselves but we don't know what is actually happening. Wonder if the staff there log on to BF?

Sandra :h?:

Called in at Loch Garten visitors centre to get the latest news.
EJ laid her egg on Friday (product of mating with VS) There has been much fighting between different males for posession of the nest. Firstly an unringed male sent EJ packing and then early yesterday morning a smaller and younger male Red 8T (1 or 2 years old) fought and won against the unringed male.

There is much concern that 8T may not be mature enough to understand his new responsibilities with regard to providing fish for EJ whilst she sits on her egg. Now that EJ has been sitting and warmed the egg she cannot now leave the nest and allow the it to cool or it will become sterile. Whilst there EJ seemed very vocal and agitated - probably hungry and trying to get 8T to go fishing. In his defence the weather was not good for fishing with all the rain the water in the river, lochs and fisheries was very cloudy.

Keep your eyes on the webcams!

ps Henry has not been heard of and we must assume the worst. A shame he was a wonderful father and mate. :-C

Paul F

Paul F said:
Called in at Loch Garten visitors centre to get the latest news.
EJ laid her egg on Friday (product of mating with VS) There has been much fighting between different males for posession of the nest. Firstly an unringed male sent EJ packing and then early yesterday morning a smaller and younger male Red 8T (1 or 2 years old) fought and won against the unringed male.

There is much concern that 8T may not be mature enough to understand his new responsibilities with regard to providing fish for EJ whilst she sits on her egg. Now that EJ has been sitting and warmed the egg she cannot now leave the nest and allow the it to cool or it will become sterile. Whilst there EJ seemed very vocal and agitated - probably hungry and trying to get 8T to go fishing. In his defence the weather was not good for fishing with all the rain the water in the river, lochs and fisheries was very cloudy.

Keep your eyes on the webcams!

ps Henry has not been heard of and we must assume the worst. A shame he was a wonderful father and mate. :-C

Paul F

Surely you mean "sent VS packing"?

Also EJ has not been sitting on the egg for days. It must be sterile by now!

Pity the RSPB are so slow to update the diary :(

Thanks ever so much for the news.

Activity at nest

Ospreys seem to be busy...

This is my first posting; I hope a thumbnail is attached...

Attachments

• ospreys.jpg
    ospreys.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 65
RichardB1947 said:
Ospreys seem to be busy...

This is my first posting; I hope a thumbnail is attached...
Yes. EJ seems to have laid a second egg!

Attachments

• osprey0017.jpg
    osprey0017.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 41
This taken from todays 'Herald' newspaper.

' IT seemed so simple: girl meets boy and they set up home together. But then another fellow comes along, and things grow complicated.
A female osprey found herself with a choice of partners yesterday, and a tough decision: will there be chicks this year?
EJ raised three chicks last year, but this time around she has been having man trouble after laying one egg in the nest.
The drama is being played out before hundreds of enthralled visitors to the RSPB Osprey centre at Loch Garten, which celebrated the 50th anniversary of ospreys returning to Scotland last year.
EJ – the name on her identification ring – arrived at the nest at 6pm on March 29, after a 3000-mile flight from West Africa to Strathspey.
Then Orange VS, an old flame, arrived on April 4, when his gift of fish was accepted and mating was allowed.
However, an unringed male arrived last Thursday, with his sights on EJ's heart.
The unidentified osprey even delivered sticks and moss, but EJ – staying faithful to her first choice VS – spurned him again and again, while he and VS battled across the air.
Her decision apparently made, she then laid her egg, usually one of three, on Friday.
But by then both males had given up. It is suspected VS has another bird, while the mysterious newcomer had resigned himself to his loveless fate.
EJ, despite sub-zero temperatures, remained on the nest, awaiting the return of VS.
It proved to be a forlorn hope, and RSPB officials knew that she would have to leave the nest soon to feed, and the egg would not be incubated.
Richard Thaxton, senior site manager at the RSPB centre, said at the weekend: "It is sad for EJ. It is very rare for an osprey to re-lay after coming off an egg. EJ and VS seemed a happy couple but he has disappeared.
"I don't know if the other male spooked him, but I do know he is a bit of a rake.
"He may have another female. He may even be keeping his options open and come back in due course."
Then, yesterday, when all looked lost, a fresh suitor, 8T, arrived, and another unknown – possibly the newcomer back again – appeared.
8T appeared to be winning the battle for EJ's affections, as she was calling on him to bring some dinner over.
After 8T's apparent victory, Mr Thaxton was more optimistic.
He said: "All could still be well for her. Even the first egg might be viable if only she started to sit on it again."
Female ospreys spend 40 days on the nest being fed by their partners.
EJ's partner last year was Henry V who has not been seen this year. She was with VS in 2003, although forced off the nest by another female.
Ospreys were once widespread, but became extinct in Scotland in 1916.
Their absence was broken in 1954 when a pair nested near Loch Garten. Since 1959, ospreys have arrived every year – raising more than 70 young.
The young fly in July and migrate to Africa in August, when their parents also leave. '

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back