• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (11 Viewers)

Rainton Meadows

Walk round the reserve yesterday,
Other than the usual geese, little grebes, swans etc, nothing of note apart from at least 6 buzzards flying high over the reserve.
Plenty butterflies around, including, painted lady, wall brown, speckled wood, small tortoiseshell, peacock and various whites.
Also good number of common darter, including mating pairs.

Attachments

• Common Buzzard _G9A6323.JPG
    Common Buzzard _G9A6323.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Grey Heron _G9A6874.JPG
    Grey Heron _G9A6874.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Mute Swan _G9A6751.JPG
    Mute Swan _G9A6751.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Common Darter _G9A6494.JPG
    Common Darter _G9A6494.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Painted Lady _G9A6410.JPG
    Painted Lady _G9A6410.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 125
Hi all, I will have a couple of hours only in the morning of 28th Sept in central Durham - I'm from Essex - and, probably stupid question but, do I have a chance of seeing a Dipper? Are there any regular spots nearby to see them? I don't know Durham at all, just dropping son off at Uni.
Appreciate your help.
Debbie

Hi all, I will have a couple of hours only in the morning of 28th Sept in central Durham - I'm from Essex - and, probably stupid question but, do I have a chance of seeing a Dipper? Are there any regular spots nearby to see them? I don't know Durham at all, just dropping son off at Uni.
Appreciate your help.
Debbie

Hi Debbie, I'm sure someone who frequents the area will have the courtesy to reply the only thing I could say is that there is a riverside walk and I'm sure you'll get a fly past at least if you keep a look out. one of the best persons to say for certain on dipper numbers in that area would be Mark Newsome ( county recorder ) Good Luck :t:

Appreciate your help.
Debbie

If you leave Durham and head south on the A167 to Croxdale, turn right onto the minor road towards Browney, and after about 100 yards turn left onto the now disused road and park at the bridge over the river Wear. Often there are Dipper on the rocks to the east of the bridge.

Hi Debbie, I was at the above bridge this morning. Looking from the bridge towards the A167 road bridge there was 4 Dippers and many Grey Wagtails. There was also plenty of Nuthatches in the surrounding trees. The Dippers seemed to prefer the 3 rocks under the road bridge

Driving back from Langley Park to Durham along the Ushaw College road at dusk saw amazing site of thousands of birds circling over the hillside down to Ushaw Moor. A mile away I presumed they were starlings though the 'flock' was very loose. When we got underneath them on the road down to UM I realised they were all Sand Martins! Circling 100 to 150m up in a hemisphere 500m to a km across? I would estimate at least 10,000 birds, all Sand Martins as far as I could see. As it grew darker they began to swoop down over the young willow forrest the college has planted NW of Ushaw Moor. In decades of birding I've never witnessed that before, and what a random place to gather prior to heading off South. We stayed 1/2 hour until 20.00 ish but in that time they showed no intent to move on. I guess they did when it was dark?

Driving back from Langley Park to Durham along the Ushaw College road at dusk saw amazing site of thousands of birds circling over the hillside down to Ushaw Moor. A mile away I presumed they were starlings though the 'flock' was very loose. When we got underneath them on the road down to UM I realised they were all Sand Martins! Circling 100 to 150m up in a hemisphere 500m to a km across? I would estimate at least 10,000 birds, all Sand Martins as far as I could see. As it grew darker they began to swoop down over the young willow forrest the college has planted NW of Ushaw Moor. In decades of birding I've never witnessed that before, and what a random place to gather prior to heading off South. We stayed 1/2 hour until 20.00 ish but in that time they showed no intent to move on. I guess they did when it was dark?

Wow !!!! Sounds amazing :t:

South Shields today

Walk along the main pier area:
at least 5 distant guillemot, shag, cormorant, eider, curlew, oyster catcher, turnstone, couple of rock pipits, fulmar, juv, kittiwake, few sanderling on the shore line + the usual gulls
Still a few terns about, mainly common, as far as I could make out.
Also saw a few fish leaping out off the water, possibly salmon.

Attachments

• Common Tern _MG_2227.JPG
    Common Tern _MG_2227.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Fulmar _MG_1454.JPG
    Fulmar _MG_1454.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Guillemot _MG_1411.JPG
    Guillemot _MG_1411.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Kittiwake _MG_2013.JPG
    Kittiwake _MG_2013.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Shag _MG_1737.JPG
    Shag _MG_1737.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 127

Attachments

• Great White Egret _G9A7595.jpg
    Great White Egret _G9A7595.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Great White Egret _G9A7605.jpg
    Great White Egret _G9A7605.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Great White Egret _G9A7700.jpg
    Great White Egret _G9A7700.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Great White Egret _G9A7706.jpg
    Great White Egret _G9A7706.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Great White Egret _G9A7757.jpg
    Great White Egret _G9A7757.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 115
South Shields - Today

Single snow bunting, sanderling, turnstone, juv, common terns, curlew, ringed plover, rock pipit and the usual gulls and cormorants, all around the pier area.

Attachments

• Common Tern _G9A8021.jpg
    Common Tern _G9A8021.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Ringed Plover _G9A7842.jpg
    Ringed Plover _G9A7842.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Sanderling _G9A7869.jpg
    Sanderling _G9A7869.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Turnstone _G9A8485.jpg
    Turnstone _G9A8485.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Snow Bunting _G9A8683.jpg
    Snow Bunting _G9A8683.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 172
Hartlepool/Teesside - Yesterday

The Headland:
quite a few guillemot of the pier, couple of eider and the usual gulls etc.
Newburn Bridge:
Good number of common terns and couple of sandwich, couple of eider, med, gull, and the usual sanderling, turnstone, ringed plover, oyster catchers etc.
Zinkworks Road:
Kestrel, distant curlew and single little egret.

GWE still at Saltholme, but on the West side, the flew further West. Also 2 very distant, black swans on the East Side.

Attachments

• Guillemot _G9A8797.jpg
    Guillemot _G9A8797.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Sandwich Tern _G9A9572.jpg
    Sandwich Tern _G9A9572.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Common Tern _G9A9372.jpg
    Common Tern _G9A9372.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Little Egret _G9A9639.jpg
    Little Egret _G9A9639.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Sandwich Tern _G9A9593.jpg
    Sandwich Tern _G9A9593.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 142
Thanks everyone

Hi, just wanted to thank you all for the advice on where to see dippers. I decided to try the Sunderland Bridge off the A167, as it looked pretty easy to get to and safe (for female alone). There was a dipper on a rock when I arrived and I watched it for five minutes, also saw a lovely grey wagtail on the other side of the bridge. Would have loved to spend more time there, and look forward to coming back to your beautiful city for a longer stay. You live in a beautiful county!
The dippers made the six hundred mile round trip worthwhile! (Well, that, and dropping off the second of my three kids to leave home!)
Thanks again.

Breakfast

Not every day you get to see 2 peregrines from the kitchen winder . Dodgy sideways shot of 1, other was nearer the hedge and couldn't see until it flew off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 282
Long-eared Owl

While driving along Zinc Works Road on Teesside this morning, I jammed in on a long-eared owl sitting on a fencepost. I've never had such a good view of the species before.

Luckily, I had my camera on the passenger seat and I was able to get a couple of photos before the bird flew off south.

A magical few seconds.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Long-eared-Owl.jpg
    Long-eared-Owl.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 237
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back