• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Easter blue bird (1 Viewer)

Kmazza

United States
I found an Eastern bluebird on my deck last night I could not fly. He appears to be OK but I don’t see any tail feathers. Can he fly without tail feathers? He is in a box in the house right now because I have cats outside. Have tried several places. Don’t know what to do with him.
I have given water with a dropper, but he doesn’t open his mouth. Going to get live Mill worms. Any advice is appreciated.

I hope he is ok. Can you take it to the nearest wildlife rehabber or veterinary? He might have been caught by a cat and escaped, but it's hard to find wounds on birds. Keep us posted!

Welcome to Birdforum.

This gives advice and information about Eastern bluebird fledglings. They often end up on the ground at first. The best thing is to return it where you found it.

Hola Kmazza! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and mderators (y)

Hope he is still OK and that you could bring him to a vet or wildlife rehabilitation center.

Hi Kmazza and a warm welcome from me too.

Young birds don't normally drink at this stage, as they're mainly insect eaters and that's all they have when in the nest, they get all the moisture they need from them.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. But please try to get him to a rehabber or vet soon. Most vets will treat injured wildlife for free.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back