• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding hampshire/southampton uk (1 Viewer)

I am from southampton and was wondering if anyone knows any good spots for this time of year in southampton or the surrounding areas? Thanks, callum.

Hi Callum, another local here (and there are more on this forum). Plenty of good sites round ours - do you have a car? Lower Test Marshes (north of the bridge to Totton) is a nice place to start with some waterfowl, waders and Water Pipits along the boardwalk. Lots of nice sites in the New Forest, but my favourites are Acres Down/Mark Ash Wood/Bolderwood, and Denny Wood/Shatterford/Pig Bush - both have a goof variety of woodland and heath (plus bogs in the latter). Near Lymington the whole coastal area down to Hurst spit is excellent (Lymington/Pennington/Keyhaven Marshes), a patchwork of tidal and freshwater marshes with plenty of paths and open views from the little dykes. If you head over to Ringwood the old gravel pits at Blashford Lakes have been turned into a nature reserve with hides etc, again a nice place to visit and great for bird photography (lots of well-attended feeders). A bit further afield is a good 'chalky downland' site called Martin Down - very different set of birds from the rest of the area, but not until late spring/summer. East of Southampton I'm less familiar with, but two outstanding sites are Titchfield Haven and Farlington Marshes near Portsmouth. Happy to show you around sometime, just send me a PM.
Finally, there is a nice group on Facebook for Hants birders, and you can find all the latest info on sightings here: https://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp

Cheers,
Joost

Joost's covered most I'd have called out, I particularly haunt Testsood marshes on quick visits, it's a bad year if I don't see something good there, and as I went to Testwood School, have been visiting for 50 years, but now infrequently.
Denny Lodge, Denny Wood is a good call.
Farnboro John may have others, and there are previous threads, Hampshire, Romsey, New Forest etc are good search terms.
Enjoy,
H

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back