• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bolivia in July/August (1 Viewer)

lgoldfrank said:
Hi again,
We thought we had our trip to Bolivia all planned, but we just got an e-mail from Aero Sur cancelling the flights from Santa Cruz to Trinidad. Now what? Should we do the 12 hour overnight bus or should we hire a car and driver somehow or what? Anyone gone there without flying? There are 4 of us travelling together.

Thanks for any insight,
Lois

I' d get the bus, some of the Bolivian buses aren't too bad at all, although we flew this route. There should be several going each day. A bus is likely to be more comfortable than a car with driver, although it is certainly possible to hire taxis by the day - and surprisingly cheap- they are knackered old wrecks. I presume that you've checked that none of the other airlines cover this route. One problem with road travel is occasional road blocks, as mentioned by Tim. I think this is more of a highland problem.

Have a good trip it is a wonderful place.

Steve

a bus it is

Thanks everyone, I think if we don't find a flight we'll scrap the car idea, seems a bus will be better. As far as I can tell, the roads to Trinidad are ok, the situation is calmer there now in anticipation of a new election.

One LAB site has a possible flight listed, but they don't answer our e-mail reservations. ? The other LAB site doesn't have a flight when we want to go....

Lois

lgoldfrank said:
Thanks everyone, I think if we don't find a flight we'll scrap the car idea, seems a bus will be better. As far as I can tell, the roads to Trinidad are ok, the situation is calmer there now in anticipation of a new election.

One LAB site has a possible flight listed, but they don't answer our e-mail reservations. ? The other LAB site doesn't have a flight when we want to go....

Lois

It's worth going to the 'thorn-tree' on lonely planet web-site to keep up with the political situation from people there.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back