• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montana Bird Art (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the kind words Arthur.

You all are right that the Rocky Mountain west has great light. Except for the factor of forest fires! We happen to have on still going in about a dozen small spots on the mountain side across the valley from us. It's been crawling around since July! Almost impossible terrain to fight fire in and besides, it's doing the forest some good (breaking up large uniform timber types, providing fire breaks to stop spread of future fires, etc. However, it does nothing at all for the aesthetics. Not even as nice as low fog and rain clouds. We'll survive I guess!.

Yes Sid - must be quite ugly to look at at the moment, but I suppose the regeneration over the next couple of years will be remarkable - and something worth documenting with camera and brush?

I guess I have to stop lurking and actually post something here once in a while. I had to go so far back to find my thread I thought I had fallen off the edge of the earth!!

Spent some time the last couple of days watching the little flock of Pygmy Nuthatches (Sitta pygmaea) that comes regularly to me suet feeder. The flock numbers about 15 but they feed in groups of 5 to 7. Members of the "off shift" group sit up in a nearby Ponderosa Pine soaking up sun (when there is any) or dozing. The interesting thing is they keep having "group hugs!) One will perch on a pine bough, soon to be joined by another, and another, etc. Often as many as 8 will cluster close together, physically touching. If one is asleep, the newcomers will poke him and wake him up. Really funny to watch. Anyhow, I set up my old Kowa (with angled eyepiece) and did a bunch of sketches. I am uploading a few for your entertainment. Hope to make something of them soon.

Sid

I'll try again to post the Pygmy Nuthatch sketches. Do they count as "field" sketches if I had the scope set up in my studio, looking out the window?

Attachments

• P1070953.jpg
    P1070953.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 112
  • P1070955.jpg
    P1070955.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 107
what adorable birds, sketches are great, sounds too comfortable to be field sketching which I was told only counts if you are suffering some how.:t:

Lovely sketches Sid. Yes I'd say that they count as field sketches. They are out in the field even if you aren't, right?! Seriously they're drawn from life and I think that's what counts. Of course for those of us who have to get outside in order to see much in the way of birds there is a bit of envy.

Many of you may have been aware of the US "Wildlife Art Magazine" that went defunct a year or so ago. I had been a subscriber since the magazine started and it was a very valuable way to keep up on what other artists were doing, the upcoming art shows, etc. I have missed it sorely. Well I just discovered that someone has stepped in. There is no a new "on-line" magazine called "Wildlife Art Journal" published by Todd Wilkinson who was a regular contributor to the old magazine. They have put up about 6 issues already and have subscribers already from over 30 countries. Cost to read all of the magazines content (some is free) is 15 dollars (US). You can find further info a
http://www.wildlifeartjournal.com
It looks promising.

Sid

I'm working up a 12" x 18" watercolor of a group of Common Ravens flying through an aspen stand. So far I have two possible compositions, both rather rough. In one the birds are passing by heading for some interesting find. In the other, the "find" is in the picture.

I'd like your ideas on which design is most pleasing and effective. Throw them both in the trash is always a possibility. Have at it!

Sid

Attachments

• Ravens:Aspen 1.jpg
    Ravens:Aspen 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 60
  • Ravens:Aspen 2.jpg
    Ravens:Aspen 2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 59
Nope, Sid, don't put them in the trash! My first reaction is that I like them both. But as I look at them more closely I think I prefer the second, mainly because the ravens, esp. one at far left, look like they're flying into the painting, rather than parallel to it. That adds some spatial interest. And I see that this is pretty much what you intended: flying by and flying in.

It should be enjoyable seeing this one develop from the beginning.

P.S. I did want to remark on wildlife art journal. I ended up subscribing about a month ago. And I've enjoyed many of the articles. But it seems to have gone dormant. I hope a new issue eventually appears........

I too find the second more interesting, maybe one more bird flying in from the left, what kind of light or time of day will you use?

Thanks for the comments, Ken. You nailed my intentions right. I started with the goal of the flock settling down in the pic where the one raven is just landing. In the other, they are all off for a distant reward.

I understand the Wildlife Art Journal will soon have a Spring issue and it's just barely spring! Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Again, thanks for the comment.

Sid

Last edited:
Colleen: It will be morning light from the upper left putting highlights on some Ravens and not on others in the back. I also want to push several birds to the back to insure I have a feeling of depth--looking into the forest.

The circular flight path you like was my first idea. I developed the second to explore other options.

Like them both Sid, but my preference is for the first - I like the idea of the birds moving parallel to the viewer; as though we're flying with them. I wonder if the birds aren't just a tad regimented across the scene? Perhaps a couple flying together, or something may help the comp a little. Whatever - looks like a very promising start, either one.

Can't believe I haven't even commented here Sid! Apologies for that, I do keep up with you fine work so why I've been remiss I dont know.

Another vote for the second from me, I like the feel of the birds fluttering down through the trees onto whatever prize they've found.

Mike

What Tim points out is why I liked the second better, if you change that first one to reflect the comment on composition, I'd like it just as much as the other.

Hi All! Thought it was about time to prove I'm still alive. I've finally gotten in gear to turn out some new paintings. I think I posted preliminary drawings of the group of Pygmy Nuthatches earlier. Here's the final. I tried to be a bit looser that I usually am, at least with the background. Not sure if I'd call it "loose" or "messy". Anyway it's a step ahead.

Also posting some "work in progress" shots of a group of Common Ravens. I know, it's not winter any more, but this painting has been sitting around for some time in several versions and I thought it time to finish it. I'm still pondering over the nearly finished final painting to be sure it is finished. Will post it later. Any and all comments appreciated.

Sid

Attachments

• Group Hug.jpg
    Group Hug.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Winter Ravens 1.jpg
    Winter Ravens 1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 47
  • W. Ravens 2.jpg
    W. Ravens 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 44
  • W. Ravens 3.jpg
    W. Ravens 3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back