• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Eyepiece Thred (1 Viewer)

will jones

Would I be correct to assume that the thread on the eyepieces for Nikon ED scopes is 30mm and 075mm pitch? Does anyone know where I can obtain a Die in the UK to clean up said threads. Thanks.

On a more general note, there are lots of orphan Fieldscope owners around because Nikon has chosen to discontinue making most of their newer Fieldscope eyepieces.
People who would like to add to their Fieldscope eyepiece options are currently stuck. Does anyone have any detail on whether there are compatible offerings available from some other make?

As a follow up, the last place for Nikon Fieldscope eyepiece availability is apparently Japan.
The 27x eyepiece is now about as abundant in the US as Labrador Ducks.
After extensive looking and a rejection by the Amazon.fr supplier (no shipping outside the EU), Amazon.jp with delivery via Tenso.com is the last available source afaik.

I think supplies there are also running low, only the 27x and the 16x DS models and the 13-30x zoom were still available. The MC was not listed and the 20x was entirely missing. Perhaps the Fieldscope line is gradually getting discontinued.

On a more general note, there are lots of orphan Fieldscope owners around because Nikon has chosen to discontinue making most of their newer Fieldscope eyepieces.
People who would like to add to their Fieldscope eyepiece options are currently stuck. Does anyone have any detail on whether there are compatible offerings available from some other make?

I am now using two different astronomy eyepieces in the ED50,and they work very well..I am using them via home made adapters (tape and film wrap!),but I will have something machined as soon as I can..First eyepiece is the 16mm ExtraFlat ,,sold with many brand names,same design,,,This is the one I Use:
http://store.smartastronomy.com/116flfi60dee.html
Is a 60º eyepiece ,16mm FL,and has a magnification of 17.5x in the ED50(inversely the Nikon 16XDS has 17.5mm FL)...My first attempt to afix the eyepiece to the ED50 failed and I mounted it tilted,so the edge performance in one side was horrible,and I mentioned In another thread that the eyepiece was not good in this scope,but I have ,since,used it many times(is now semi-permanently mounted )and I can confirm that really works well in the ED50...an adapter is gonna be really cheap to make and it would be an inexpensive and VERY good option to both the 16XDS and the 20XWA,falling in between those magnifications...The eyepiece is very well made..Is the SAME eyepiece that Vortex and ZEN sell as "their" 30X WA,and according to Henry Link ,that reviewed the ZEN version,is the same Eyepiece design used by Nikon in the SE series of binoculars..Has very long eye relief (a bit too much even for eyeglasses)but a micro adjusting screw eyecup helps a lot to find the right distance..The eyepiece is very well made,..Is super Sharp and has very good contrast (the low magnification adds points to this facts),flat field sensation and excellent edge performance..only drawback is a tendency by design to bring to focus external dust particles in the VERY edge of the FOV..anything there comes to focus and shows ,not much of a problem for astronomy(or enclosed inside a Nikon SE),but a bit annoying for diurnal use..the particles are easy to blow or remove ,but Is not an eyepiece you want to change and toss in a pocket because next time you use it it will be dusty..but with a bit of care is fine..again and excellent option for a wide low power in Nikon for 60 pounds or so...
The other Eyepiece is a BST explorer ED 12mm that makes 24X in the ED50..also an excellent eyepiece, also a 60º ,also super long eye relief...It uses ED glass in the design and is very sharp too in the ED50,,edge performance is similar(not worst )than Nikon own eyepieces,and same can be said for general performance...The eyepiece uses a field lens inside the astro barrel,separated from the main body for a few mm..(I dont see any difference if the two parts are touching or separated,tried it both ways )..It can be adapted for Nikon as well,but since is a bit more complicated having to fit both parts in the adapter,I might just try the 12mm EXtra Flat and see how they compare..the BST also costs 50-60 pound and even with the price of an adapter will be less than half the price of a 27X WA,and similar performance..I think that the ED50 handles better 24X than 27x ,So if you find 20X short but 27x a bit dark ,this 12mm astro eyepieces are a good option...I suspect the 12mm Extra Flat would work well too
Right now im Hooked to the 16mm Extra Flat...Used it today to chase and sketch a flock of Lesser BB gulls,and I really enjoyed the wide views and strong contrast.....more on the adapters if I get them done...

Last edited:
I am now using two different astronomy eyepieces in the ED50,and they work very well..I am using them via home made adapters (tape and film wrap!),but I will have something machined as soon as I can..First eyepiece is the 16mm ExtraFlat ,,sold with many brand names,same design,,,This is the one I Use:
http://store.smartastronomy.com/116flfi60dee.html
Is a 60º eyepiece ,16mm FL,and has a magnification of 17.5x in the ED50...

So you have no issues with focus limits? This eyepiece might be a nice budget alternative to finding a 24 or 30x for the 60mm Fieldscopes providing it can be attached successfully. Can you post some pictures?

--AP

Yes,I think it is a good inexpensive option to the 16x or the 20X in the ED50 ,and same goes for other Nikon fieldscopes..this one would be 26x in the ED60 and a classic 32X in the 82..
The slight edge in magnification vs the Nikon 16XDS is welcomed in the ED50,in my opinion..

There are no focus issues with this eyepiece and the ED50..9 feet to infinity and WAY beyond..

The eye relief is huge, making for an excellent digiscoping eyepiece. Once the distances are figured the eyepiece wont vignet even in the 24mm equiv. lens of my camcorder. I recorded some nice WIIIIDE views the other day..
The other thing that is nice is the compact size of the eyepiece..really adds for portability and stability(specially when digiscoping)..Here are a couple pictures of the eyepiece provisionally attached..I did a good job though,with the tape and cling wrap,because is holding my home made videoscoping adapter and camera pretty well...

Attachments

• IMG_7126.JPG
    IMG_7126.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_7127.JPG
    IMG_7127.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_7128.JPG
    IMG_7128.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7157.JPG
    IMG_7157.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_7156.JPG
    IMG_7156.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
This is great information. I have recently taken up interest in the Nikon Fieldscopes after getting some pleasing experience with their binoculars. I have since become something of a Nikon fan if you will, so the natural inclination was to go in that direction for a scope/s. Further my inclination was to get all three scopes 50/60/82 for situations as they might present or even the use of two or more samples at the same time say for use at overlooks. The 82ED would rule there but the FSIII 60 ED too, with say a 24X DS WA fixed is very effective for such vantage points especially with the Bushnell Doubler Acc.y on hand.
So the scopes seem to be quite good and the problem is with the eyepiece availability. Not sure why Nikon would discontinue the eyepieces for these as I know I [ for one ] am definitely interested in more eyepieces especially the fixed wide angles. These do come available but not regularly and not inexpensively.
It would seem to me someone should figure out what eyepieces will work on the Fieldscopes and with what modifications. And if an adapter could be made that might fit a commonly available line of "Exc" eyepieces it would seem like a viable business opportunity for some enterprising machinist/optics enthusiast.
Nikon's decision to discontinue this line leaves many out there [orphaned as another member put it ] with used as the primary option. I would think happy users of fieldscopes would create business for Nikon even by word of mouth. Providing excellent eyepieces to eager and willing users, who would likely be out enjoying their optics creating exposure and excitement for the product??? Would be worthwhile?
All said, the eyepiece situation is what it is and I would be interested in an adapter if someone takes the initiative to make one. Especially if it would fit multiple eyepieces but whether that is possible is beyond my knowledge and focus ability and details etc... are concerns. Obviously if the eyepiece can not be made to work right it may be of limited use. For more knowledgeable people than I to determine. fwiw But myself and others are paying attention.
On a side note about Nikon Service. Some overseas members tell of dismal Nikon service which is then offset but USA members saying that here it is great. I am in a situation of needing an eyecup for a 20x45X MC1 zoom. Not out of any fault of my own but a dishonest ebay seller who misrepresented. Ebay's 100% satisfaction guarantee was for me the buyer to pay return shipping out of my pocket to get a refund of purchase cost and original shipping. Like really? And that is supposed to leave me 100% satisfied? And if I leave honest feedback then I will get retaliatory feedback which will then damage my own ebay reputation. But if I don't leave honest feedback this skunk can then take advantage of other unsuspecting buyers and trust is lost and so I guess Ebay ultimately fails as a marketplace once the cancer spreads. On a side note there should be limits on negative feedback to buyers who paid promptly and fulfilled their obligations who then end up having problems. To my knowledge there is no such mechanism but I've digressed here.
So I contact Nikon Service about the eyecup. Fully expecting I can buy one. I mean, seriously, my only problem is the eyecup is torn. You can still use the scope but who wants a torn eyecup? After spending way too much time on the phone with them, assuming a better solution could be reached [wrong], their only solution is to send the whole fieldscope back with said eyepiece for essentially a refurb/full going through. You might rejoice at this and say well, great, they will refurb my scope and I will be good as new with/via the no fault warranty policy. Right? Well, the way it would work out for me is that I would have to send away my new [ to me as received condition ] scope. I am not fortunate to live near the Nikon facility so the shipping is east coast USA to west coast USA. Could be done USPS Priority Mail 3 day I guess. Nikon's lead time is 7-10 days if they have the parts along with the $10 service charge adn $12.50 return shipping. Then it needs to be shipped back as well and I don't know the method or the lead times but for $12.50 I can't imagine it will be overnight LOL. So the optic will be gone for minimum 16 business days. The eyepiece itself can "NOT" be sent back seperately. It needs to come as an optic unit "whole". So I can not keep my scope and use my scope with the fixed eyepieces I have, while they fix my zoom eyepiece in whatever timeframe. That is NOT/not an option and that is corporate policy decided by someone and that policy is fervently/religiously followed by Nikon service reps. So to my absolute amazement, Nikon's corporate policy is to relieve me of use of my Nikon optic for possibly unknown amount of time in order to fix a rubber fold down eyecup. That eyecup is not available anywhere. Nikon is the only source and they are currently out of stock on that eyecup. LOL So the question is, if I send the FS in for the service, since they don't have the needed eyecup, will they then hold my FS for the time necessary to get the eyecups in? Will they replace my whole 20x45X zoom lens with the newer 20x60X zoom lens? Will they replace the whole scope with an equivalent scope? If so, what would that be? And when? For those of you uninitiated here, the eyecup literally pulls right off and a new one can be pushed right on the eye contact point of the eyepiece. Its that simple. Why would you force users to return a whole scope or binocular or whatever simply for a damaged eyecup/eyepiece? It creates a logistical nightmare so to speak for everyone involved, and I can't imagine it creates satisified users. Essentially, corporate policy here is, then = you indeed did purchase one of our fieldscopes to be able to "see" but we will actively prevent you from doing exactly that by not making the simplest of service as easy as possible!!! Or you might think they are saying "We really don't want you to see what you are wanting to look at.. even so much so as we discontinued the eyepieces you might want to make the ownership experience as pleasant and productive as possible and we will further actively >not< assist you with minimal needs in that regard" Shrugs?? Needless to say, on a corporate level, we plan to insure whatever game or bird or whatever you imagine yourself to look at WILL BE long gone by the time you can get your scope sorted by Nikon. Or your binoculars as the case may be. --------
So I have to say here... my experience with Nikon is leading me to question the JOY of Nikon fanship. Honestly, purchasing a FS that I have to send away for lengthy service for just a torn/damaged eyepiece rubber cup makes me question whether I made the right decision going with Nikon. I do love the Nikon view but this blows my mind! fwiw. How they can not provide eyecups [even for purchase] independent of other scope repair is beyond me. It all seems very counterIntuitive. fwiw Other users with gigantic positive experiences feel free to post! It would certainly cheer me up. I am considering constructing/adapting my own eyepiece cup of the twist up design hopefully. Of course that would then void the warranty in the future presumably. LOL

Last edited:
As a follow up, the last place for Nikon Fieldscope eyepiece availability is apparently Japan.
The 27x eyepiece is now about as abundant in the US as Labrador Ducks.
After extensive looking and a rejection by the Amazon.fr supplier (no shipping outside the EU), Amazon.jp with delivery via Tenso.com is the last available source afaik.

I think supplies there are also running low, only the 27x and the 16x DS models and the 13-30x zoom were still available. The MC was not listed and the 20x was entirely missing. Perhaps the Fieldscope line is gradually getting discontinued.

Would not seem clever to end production of FS eyepieces at all but especially with the ED50 still on offer in the lineup and fully compatible with all of those eyepieces. I did see an adapter to allow FS MC and DS eyepieces to be used in the new EDG scopes. So there was apparently that level of thought process to allow compatibility to the newest offerings.

CC,

FWIW-Do not know if you have found all that you are looking for with Nikon Fieldscopes, but thought I would give you a heads up than I am going to be soon listing for sale a like brand New FS ED III 60 mm scope with both a 20-60 MCII zoom eyepiece, and a DS 24x WA fix power. As stated above all are like new- hardly used.

And I can assure you there are no worries dealing with me ( sorry about your other deal). I take very good care of my gear.

If this is any interest, let me know.

CC,

FWIW-Do not know if you have found all that you are looking for with Nikon Fieldscopes, but thought I would give you a heads up than I am going to be soon listing for sale a like brand New FS ED III 60 mm scope with both a 20-60 MCII zoom eyepiece, and a DS 24x WA fix power. As stated above all are like new- hardly used.

And I can assure you there are no worries dealing with me ( sorry about your other deal). I take very good care of my gear.

If this is any interest, let me know.

Is that the angled or straight? How come you're selling it? Seems like a great scope to me. I am more in the market for a 82 and a 50 right now although maybe just a 50 as the ZR is filling my large scope needs pretty well right now. GF is not too keen on the Nikon focus ring arrangement for some reason. Shrugs.

This might be something to try.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98237-REG/Nikon_7909_Rubber_Eyecup_f_15_45x.html

I no longer have the MCI eyepiece, I have the MC II, so I can not try any other eyecups.

Thanks for the heads up on this. That eyecup won't fit the fieldscope MC1 zoom.

USPS shipping is $27 - $35 from me to Nikon. Service charge and their shipping charge is $22.50. My scope really is fine and I don't want to lose the use of it for extended time for an eyecup. Nor am I excited about spending over $50 for an eyecup. LOL And they don't even have that eyecup in stock and can't tell me over the phone whether they will have it in stock. IOW, is it a stocked item and they are just "out of stock"?

So I suppose I'll just use it as it is. Possibly apply a dab of superglue to the tear which is only about 1/4 inch long. I use primarily the 24XWA and 30XWA fixed lenses anyways, both of which are lovely!!! I will give them that. The view is great. Although the zoom also gives quite a nice view at 20X. Not as wide though but heh? It's a zoom.

...And they don't even have that eyecup in stock and can't tell me over the phone whether they will have it in stock...

I'm guessing/hoping that this maddening behavior from Nikon is largely a result of the eyecup being out of stock. I don't know if Nikon has changed policy, but in the past they've been happy to sell replacement eyecups for Fieldscope eyepieces (I bought some spares for the 30x and 50x WF a few years back). The only trick was that the eyecups had to be ordered as an "accessory" not as a "part". I think that because the eyecup is not in stock, the only way Nikon can fix it for you is to replace your whole eyepiece, but since the eyepieces are being phased out or because it doesn't have its own serial number, the eyepiece is itself considered a part of the scope (with serial number and, by extension, warranty). In the past, eyecups have come back into stock within a month or two, but again, the Fieldscopes are being replaced with the Monarch versions with only the 50ED still current.

--AP

Last edited:
Here are a couple pictures of the eyepiece provisionally attached..I did a good job though,with the tape and cling wrap,because is holding my home made videoscoping adapter and camera pretty well...

Hi Manuel

So the eyepiece fits outside the Nikon collar? There's not enough room for it to fit inside surely.

Hi..No ,actually there is lots of room inside the Nikon Mount....The eyepiece sits flat,and naturally aligns on the collar of the scope.The threads that hold the astronomy barrel ,go inside the nikon mount..The Threads in the eyepiece are too short and of a smaller diameter than the Nikon threads,so an adapter has to be made to engage...It would be a very simple ring, but the guy that made all my other adapters seems to be on vacation or out of town,So I have to wait ...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back