• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

Water rail at Sandhurst Balancing Pond! Very happy to see it, as was dear Mrs Boris Showed every twenty minutes or so and obligingly flew across the pond to alert us to its presence. Also a buzzard cirlcling low of the fields at Shepherd's Meadows and a small flock of noisy siskin at the pond. There were also a number of redwings in the holly in Tesco's carpark.
Photos in a bit...

Here's some photos. I'm particulary ashamed of the water rail...

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 115
Juv Great Northern Diver still showing well at Staines Res this morning along with several displaying drake Goldeneye. No sign of the Smew at Thorpe unfortunately though!

John.

alan_rymer said:
Up to two Bitterns at Lavells seem to have started showing at last, according to http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/birdnews.asp!. Not seen one there yet this year. Here's hoping for this weekend!.

I wasn't going to post regarding that after today's trip as I feel weary thinking about it. I missed the bitterns by a few seconds as I got into the hide and they didn't come out for the rest of the day. i then walked nearly twenty minutes back towards the end of the park before realising I'd left my rucksack in the tern hide. Then I had to walk as quick as I have done for some time to get the train and made with twenty seconds to spare. No bramblings, kingfisher, bitterns or anything else I could have seen if I'd made the much shorter (and cheaper) trip to Moor Green.
Boo hoo hoo, sniff.
One of the old hands in the hide also said other bitterns might have been seen on White Swan Lake which has got a more extensive reed bed which also has jetties poking through it for the fishermen, so may offer some very close, if somewhat unexpected, views.
Although we did see a great crested grebe catch three fish in five minutes - one was pretty big...

Staines Reservoir was good today. Saw the great Northern diver - showing well, if at a distance. Got fairly close to the black-necked grebes, of which we only saw two, but I did get a ropey shot (I'll add them later). Water pipit showing beautifully on a post as well as a couple of rock and some meadow pipits. Goldeneye being fairly showy, too. Saw eight ring-necked parakeets in Staines as well, which was nice. Photos later, not that they're very good...

colonelboris said:
I wasn't going to post regarding that after today's trip as I feel weary thinking about it. I missed the bitterns by a few seconds as I got into the hide and they didn't come out for the rest of the day. i then walked nearly twenty minutes back towards the end of the park before realising I'd left my rucksack in the tern hide. Then I had to walk as quick as I have done for some time to get the train and made with twenty seconds to spare. No bramblings, kingfisher, bitterns or anything else I could have seen if I'd made the much shorter (and cheaper) trip to Moor Green.
Boo hoo hoo, sniff.
One of the old hands in the hide also said other bitterns might have been seen on White Swan Lake which has got a more extensive reed bed which also has jetties poking through it for the fishermen, so may offer some very close, if somewhat unexpected, views.
Although we did see a great crested grebe catch three fish in five minutes - one was pretty big...
Sorry you missed them Tony.

Went down this evening at about 16:30
Two Little Egrets, but they flew off soon after I arrived. Both bitterns showed eventually at water line befor eventually climing the reeds to roost. A water rail gave a good show for a few minutes and on th way out a Woodcock flew over, Nice!. Sounds as if you had a good day too though!.

Yep - lovely day. Nice to go birding with the wife and baby as it removes the nagging guilt of having left them behind...
Here's a few v. poor photos from yesterday: black-necked grebes and a meadow pipit...

Attachments

• image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 100
Lots of redwings about at the moment. All down the A30 and a load in the Tesco's carpark, a few of which were fairly approachable. Never heard one sing until today, but it was twittering away.

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 103
Saw the Pied Wagtail roost tonight in Aldershot town centre, must be a couple of hundred strong, pretty impressive!

John.

Funny - Isaw a group of 25 over Lidl in Blackwater, followed by another 8. More than I've ever seen at one time in that place. Frimley Park Hospital's pretty good. When Mrs Boris was in with Lottie, I saw at least 200 circling over the entrance. Camberley's got a bit of a roost outside the working men's club, but maybe only 100.

Funny you keep mentioning Pied Wagtail roosts. I'd never see large numbers until a few weeks ago. Gunwarf in Pompey looks like its got one. Hundreds of birds appeared to be roosting on the roof of the bowling alley, or beyond. Streams of them all flew over at dusk.

Jason, do you know if the brents are about on Southsea Common, and if so, are they very approachable? I wouldn't mind getting a few shots from a bit closer than 60 yards... On that note - anything good going at Farlington lately?

Hmm, I've never seen them on Southsea Common. However, you can get 10/15ft from them at Farlington no problem, especially the groups that hang around just past the visitors 'centre'. Dunno what's at Farlington right now though. Haven't been out for a while, what with exams and that. Just the usuals, I expect. Why, you coming down?

Jason

I'm thinking of conning Dad into driving me down there...
10 or 15 feet is perfect. Which bit is the 'visitor's centre' - is it the notice board near the car park at the Portsmouth end? I dunno if you've moseyed down around it, but has there ever been anything other than BHGs and herrings at the boating pond along the Southsea seafront? Just wondered if there was a chance of a decent common gull shot.
Just trying to get some better shots of some birds in the next few months.

Tony

The Visitors 'Shed' is on the path running alongside the motorway. If you follow the river, instead of walking along the main path, you come to it. I dont know about Common Gulls on the boating lake I'm afraid. Dont go there very often.

Lol! Didn't expect you to be a user of 'n00b', Tony. Your supposed to be an adult!

Anyway, let me know when your coming down, and I'll give you a tour. Try to con your dad into giving you about 2 hours. Will be enough. And try to come at around high tide. I find its best because all the waders congregate around the river and pools. Might get some decent pics, depending on the sun.

Jason

colonelboris said:
I'm thinking of conning Dad into driving me down there...
10 or 15 feet is perfect. Which bit is the 'visitor's centre' - is it the notice board near the car park at the Portsmouth end? I dunno if you've moseyed down around it, but has there ever been anything other than BHGs and herrings at the boating pond along the Southsea seafront? Just wondered if there was a chance of a decent common gull shot.
Just trying to get some better shots of some birds in the next few months.

Tony

Tony,

If you're going to Southsea, be sure to check the rocks in front of the castle for Purple Sands, anything up to 14 been seen there this Winter. Other possibilties are Rock Pipit & Shag either at the Castle or the Pier.

John.

Reed buntings still on Yateley Common South in the same tree as last time. I do believe they might be getting more used to people walking past them. Maybe even a shot before we're off...?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back