• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RAF Flights to the Falklands (1 Viewer)

dcw

I was wondering if anyone has done this flight?? More specifically I am wondering what the chances of seeing Ascencion Frigatebird on the 2 hour layover at Ascencion are?? Thanks...

Coincidence I just saw a documentary on the Falklands today. The documentary was about killer whales primarily but I was amazed at how close the birds come to you.

I went a very long time ago, and the schedule then was such that you went through Ascension overnight. Fortunately for me the plane went tech at Brize for a few hours and we arrived on the island at dawn: I nailed Ascension Frigatebird, Red-footed Booby and Sooty Tern, and the only one I've seen since is Sooty Tern on Anglesey!

I would check the schedule very carefully before taking this route if you are only doing it for the birds. Try the RAF Ornithological Society, they will have up-to-date gen.

John

I was on Ascension for five days earlier this year. The flight arrives at about 8AM, but you would not be allowed to leave the airport so you would have to rely on a frigatebird flying over while you were there. I reckon this would be pretty unlikely; I only saw birds on the northern & western sides of the island and then only close to the sea.

I had Ascension Frigatebird many years ago from the stop-over area at the airport and a few Common Mynas there too, but that was it!

...and then there's the price for getting back! :eek!: ;)

It's a return ticket :)

Still almost twice the price of going via Chile though! Seems the RAF is a little short of money ...

The flight arrives at about 8AM, but you would not be allowed to leave the airport so you would have to rely on a frigatebird flying over while you were there. I reckon this would be pretty unlikely.

You are allowed to make a stop over and catch the next flight three days later though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies so far. I know the flights are expensive and LAN is cheaper but the whole point of going is to go to Ascencion for the Frigatebird. If i went I would just go one way so price would be half. Another option is to time the flight to just Ascencion for 580 then taking the mail ship to St Helena and then Cape Town.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back