• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (51 Viewers)

Yes it is a weird. But Aldi have a history of selling boys toys. I got a perfectly reasonable scope from them last year for about £25 and a bird box with cctv camera for a similar amount.

Had the good news that I've been waiting for this morning - no nerve end damage and no glaucoma. I've been given the all clear to have contact lens fitted so no more early morning steaming up in the reed beds (not a euphemism) either.
I saw a £70 night-vision monocular in Aldi in Selly Oak this morning - do you foresee a use for it JB?

Didn't know wyou were having potential trouble with he eyes - good news then.

Re the night vision gear - now you've put it on the forum I'm sure Aldi will be inumdated by those heading to Lundy :-O:-O

Mike

Sy
Have they got any laser pens to deter the foxes that are getting through to the wader zone. or does anyone know where we can get one.
I saw them being used at Cemyln bay to deter herons that were predating the tern chicks.

or does anybody know where we can get any Lion dung from, apparently ideal as a fox/cat deterrent.
I will email you all about next weekend and what Gordon saw over night.
B :)john

I've got an American laser pen in my desk drawer at work. I used to use it when I was instructing... I can loan that to the cause if required.
Am I going to have to get me 12-bore out (I haven't used it in years)?

Highlights today included two Green Sandpipers on the flashes (return passage?). Stuart A and I both heard a Nuthatch in the education reserve but, unfortunately, the bird couldn't be located. A Little Owl showed on the usual stump.

Highlights today included two Green Sandpipers on the flashes (return passage?). Stuart A and I both heard a Nuthatch in the education reserve but, unfortunately, the bird couldn't be located. A Little Owl showed on the usual stump.

Hi Dave,

Yeah, definitely on return passage - autumn migration has commenced. After such a poor spring for waders, bring it on I say!

Phil's UW May summary now online: http://www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk/upton_warren_monthly_reviews_9.html

and the midlands summary here: http://www.birdingtoday.co.uk/birding_today_monthly_review_72.html

Brian

Sy
Have they got any laser pens to deter the foxes that are getting through to the wader zone. or does anyone know where we can get one.
I saw them being used at Cemyln bay to deter herons that were predating the tern chicks.

or does anybody know where we can get any Lion dung from, apparently ideal as a fox/cat deterrent.
I will email you all about next weekend and what Gordon saw over night.
B :)john

Lion dung is available from places like Crocus (online) and some garden centres. However, I bought some to deter cats from cr@pping on my garden beds, but all it did was encourage local Toms to mark their territory more, and hence pee on the pellets.

Not sure how foxes will behave, or whether the cats in Brum are just well 'ard 3:)

Lion dung is available from places like Crocus (online) and some garden centres. However, I bought some to deter cats from cr@pping on my garden beds, but all it did was encourage local Toms to mark their territory more, and hence pee on the pellets.

Not sure how foxes will behave, or whether the cats in Brum are just well 'ard 3:)

Cheers for that Pete just looked at prices £8 for half a kilogram and like you say not always effective according to some of the write ups.
I have been told wolves dung is good for a fox deterrent but I am not sure where you get it from perhaps the west mids safari park.

I'll say it before one of the resident wags does... Molineux?

Well at least I spelled it correctly... peasant! ;)

Are you suggesting there's plenty of (wolves) cr*p on the pitch at Molineux, Sy? 8-P Best get up there with our buckets. Second thoughts, we'd probably be lynched - John being a blue-nose and all. ;)

Last edited:
Quick bit of research during a break from revision showed that Wolf and Lion Dung scattered around would scare foxes away also human hair collected from hair dressers possibly and put in tights hung on fences and also male urine!

Suppose some of these would be worth having a go if it saved the nests of birds?

I am rather tempted to make a comment about John and the hair collected, but I'll bite my tongue instead :)

Quick bit of research during a break from revision showed that Wolf and Lion Dung scattered around would scare foxes away also human hair collected from hair dressers possibly and put in tights hung on fences and also male urine!

Suppose some of these would be worth having a go if it saved the nests of birds?

I will bring the urine you bring the hair ...now who is likely to bring the tights?????:gh::-O
On a serious note Paul C did that with his own pants now that is enough to deter anything. Also sweaty socks are supposed to do it... I'm sure the amount of times Phil has fell in the marsh he will have a few pairs standing in the corner of his bedroom;) :-O

Last edited:
Anyway I was about to say that I have been down the reserve to meet the trust re permit scheme.
Andy H as asked me to get a quote for a Sand martin bank to be installed at the Moors to the left of the east hide at the southern end of Amy's marsh scrape.
If anyone is a builder or visits Brandon we are looking at a marine plywood version the same as at Brandon. (could you PM if you have details on the cost of the Brandon bank)

On the birding front 2 Green Sands and 2 drake Teal at the Flashes.
A family party of whitethroat are around the bridge area at the Flashes.
The LRP chicks are now 20 days old.
not rare but 40+ rooks (is an exceptionally good total at Upton) were in the field behind the main flashes hide.

Management: I have cut the vegetation down immediately in front of the Hen Pool hide. There are now clear views into the muddy reed area in front, keep an open for that crake;)
B :)John

Last edited:
Ought to try to get over to UW soon as I've not been for weeks. Trips to Devon and Scotland have got in the way. Damn... ;)

A crake would get me over there in a shot, though I did bag shots of a corncrake on South Uist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back