• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (3 Viewers)

Hi Rich,

They still seem to be pumping water from the far side of the workings, although the area near the viewing area seems unaffected as far as i can tell. The Green Sands have been favouring the pools surrounding the workings into which they have been pumping the water.

Cheers,

John.

Still 2 Green Sands this morning but no sign of the Common Sand seen by Rich Horton in the week. The Little Grebes have 3 chicks, 5 juv Common Terns were noted this morning, & a juv LRP was seen along with 3 adults. Also 2 Kestrels were hunting over the meadow, the first I've seen at Tices for quite a while.

John.

Fairly productive this morning, still 1 Green Sand in the workings & managed to locate the Common Sand also. A Little Egret was present in the stream, min of 10 Common Terns, 2 LRP's, & the Little Grebe family showing well this morning.Two new birders also seen this morning, a sure sign that things are kicking off again.

John.

John,

you might have to start a new thread 'New Birders I've met at Tices'. We must be getting into double figures now. Glad there are waders about, keep them trickling through and I'll see you at the end of the month. Off for Short-billed Dowitcher this afternoon; it's been a while since I managed a lifer.

Rich

Day off today so headed off to Tices this morning in the hope of finding more migrants & was rewarded with a fine male Whinchat on the meadow. Texted Rich Horton & he soon arrived & enjoyed this cracking little bird. I'm sure that this bird is earlier than last years which I think were around the end of July/early August. Also seen this morning were 2 Green Sands, Common Sand, 3 LRP's, Kestrel, 8 Common Terns, & 6 Little Grebes.

John.

Fairly productive this morning, still 1 Green Sand in the workings & managed to locate the Common Sand also. A Little Egret was present in the stream, min of 10 Common Terns, 2 LRP's, & the Little Grebe family showing well this morning.Two new birders also seen this morning, a sure sign that things are kicking off again.

John.

On my third visit to Tices on Sunday I managed to count 10 LRP's.
There are at least 16 Common Terns inclusive 5 juveniles. I expect there may be a few more but impossible to count. There is one sitting on a nest on one of the islands in front of the viewpoint.

Kevin

Day off today so headed off to Tices this morning in the hope of finding more migrants & was rewarded with a fine male Whinchat on the meadow. Texted Rich Horton & he soon arrived & enjoyed this cracking little bird. I'm sure that this bird is earlier than last years which I think were around the end of July/early August. Also seen this morning were 2 Green Sands, Common Sand, 3 LRP's, Kestrel, 8 Common Terns, & 6 Little Grebes.

John.

John,
The earliest record I have for Whinchat on return migration is on 20th August 2005. So beats the record by 40 days.

Kevin

John.

Quality - well done!

Given the past 24 hours in the UK, I don't want any of you finding a Greater Yellowlegs! Check the rump and the extended V up the back. If it has one it's a Greenshank. You don't want hundreds of twitchers turning up and stringing a Yellowlegs.

There are a number keeping rather quiet on Birdforum today

Rich

Advice on the Yellowlegs thread which to me is excellent advice:

1. Know the common stuff. Inside out.
2. Look and look again.
3. Get a pic / sketch / notes.
4. Look again.
5. Ask the (often forgotten) question: Is this within the normal variation for a [insert common species here]? - which applies to jizz, plumage, behaviour etc (and is a step up from 'Does it look like the one illustration in Collins?').
6. Look again.
7. Discuss with trusted - and ideally competent! - mates.
8. Look again.
9. Ring [insert bird news service here] - even if this is several hours after the first sighting.
10. Lap it up.
11*. Or not as the case may be. Be prepared to take flak - especially if 8 Ruff turn up the day after your brief sighting of a Pec Sand!

* added by me.

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

No Greenshank this evening I'm afraid to get the pulse racing, just one Green Sandpiper or was it a Solitary ;)

Cheers,

John.

Sad news. Just found out that last April's tentative Marsh Sandpiper at Tice's has been classed as Not Proven by the BBRC. Not a surprise really given that it was a one observer find and not relocated. Shame.

This mornings watch produced, 4 Green Sandpipers, 1 Common Sandpiper, 3 LRP, 20+ Lapwing, Kestrel, 3 Skylark, 2 Stock Dove, 5 Little Grebe, & 2 very scaly juv Green Woodpeckers.

John.

Day off today so spent the morning at Tices & had a good selection of species. Waders present were 2 Green Sands, 2 Common Sands, 23 Lapwing, & at least 8 LRP's inc 3 newly fledged chicks. Raptors seen, Kestrel over the meadow, Buzzard, & a Hobby that shot through over the silt pool. On the workings, 12 Common Terns inc 5 juvs, lots of juv Black Headed Gulls, & the pair of Little Grebes with now only 2 of the original 3 chicks.

John.

Headed out this morning hoping for something good after the early morning rain but despite last nights 6 Dunlin seen by Rich Horton no new waders.
Still 1 each of Green & Common Sandpipers,24 Lapwing, & 5 LRP present around the workings. A very fresh looking Willow Warbler was seen along the bank with numerous Chiffchaffs & Whitethroats & 2 juv Stonechats were found on the meadow interestingly.

John.

Still 2 Common & 1 Green Sands this morning, 22 Lapwing, & 4 LRP's. Gulls on the workings included 5 Yellow Leggeds (4 Adults & 3rd Summer), 2 Little Egrets were on the workings, & the 2 juv Stonechats were still prominent on the meadow. The Little Grebe family still have 2 fledglings on the overflow pool, & lots of Whitethroats & Chiffchaffs along the bank.

John.

Just had a reply from Surrey Bird Club reference sightings which were deemed Not Proven last year. Long and short of it is as follows:

Curlew Sandpiper - rendered as a juvenile but in retrospect was probably a moutling adult as this would have been too early for a juvenile (fair comment).

Pectoral Sandpiper - not happy with the response as it was thought to be a small Ruff! Having seen loads of Pec Sands over the last two months I am happy that the bird Rich and I saw was a Pec Sand but disappointed given that it was reported on BirdGuides by another observers as showing well. Let's hope no Ruffs turn up the day after any further sighting.

What is worthy of note is that any Caspian Gulls will need to be photographed to get a positive response. This is the case for LNHS submissions if you see one at Barnes. I have learnt a lot from this and will make sure that any submissions are comprehensive and cover all options (not just juv but possible moulting adult). If I had said this then at least one more of my submissions would possibly have been OK. Does put you off submitting though.

Rich

Last edited:
At least 4 Green Sands today mostly around the settling pool & stream, no sign of any Commons though. On the workings, at least 4 Yellow Legged Gulls again, with 1 particularly striking adult male, 9 Common Terns, & just 1 LRP.
Lots of Chiffies seen today in family groups so it seems that they have had a successful breeding season.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back