• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

Pregnant pause

As an imminently expecting father, one word in frequent use is "overdue". There are a number of species which are well due another visit to Upton Warren; I have selected a number (all of which have been recorded five or more times but not in the last five years) that more recent devotees to the reserve wont have encountered:

Quail - five records involving five birds; last recorded in 1992 calling in fields to the north of the Flashes on the 14th May.
Bearded Tit - probably THE stand-out overdue bird, the reserve has previously had 12 records involving at least 34 birds. Virtually annual in the 1970s, the last record came in 1993 when four birds (three males and a female) spent two days at the Flashes on the 7th and 8th November.
Slavonian Grebe - five records involving five birds; last recorded in 1996 when a winter plumage bird was at the Moors Pool on the 9th January.
Bewick's Swan - virtually annual from the early 1970s to early 1990s, it was last recorded in 2002 (a single bird on the Sailing Pool on the 9th December).
Smew - eight records involving ten birds; last noted in 2003 when a "redhead" was present (presumably at the Moors Pool) on the 17th January
Ring Ouzel - 13 records involving 15 birds; last recorded in 2003 when a male was present in the sewage works compound at the Flashes on the 30th April.
Long-tailed Duck - 13 records involving 14 birds; last recorded in 2003 when two immature males spent five days at the Flashes (predominately on the third lash from memory) between the 12th and 16th November. A fly-over record from the following year was not submitted to the County Recorder.
Black-necked Grebe - 15 records involving 19 birds; last recorded in 2004 when two summer plumage adults spent the day at the Moors Pool on the 20th May.
Temminck's Stint - 16 records involving 23 birds; despite being the most productive site for this species in the County the last record was back in 2006 when one spent two days at the Flashes between the 22nd and 23rd June.
Egyptian Goose - five records involving 20 birds; last recorded in 2007 with a party of five visited both the Flashes and Moors Pool on the 18th February.
Corn Bunting - formerly resident on the reserve in the 1960s and 70s with a notable winter roost in the late 1970s and early 1980s; the last record was a single sighting in 2008 of one visiting the Flashes feeding station on the 8th October, itself the first sighting since 1995.
Wood Warbler - 21 records involving 21 birds; nearly annual between the mid 1980s and mid 1990s, the most recent record was in 2009 when a male sang from the south side of the Sailing Pool on the 14th April
Hen Harrier - ten records involving ten birds; last recorded in 2009 when a male flew north-east over the Flashes early morning on the 27th September.

Wing-tagged Marsh Harrier

You may recall the wing-tagged Marsh Harrier (green tag with a yellow "T") that graced the reserve - predominately the Flashes - between the 25th and 28th March 2013. It was eventually discovered that this bird was ringed in the nest at Dunbog, Fife on the River Tay estuary on the 6th July 2006.

From an article in this month's WMBC News, it is revealed that this bird was also noted in 2011 at the RSPB's fantastic reserve 40 miles north of Aberdeen, Loch of Strathbeg.

An early start at Flashes 5.15.
After the duck fest All went a bit quiet. Many waders have now vacated the site and we now await the next batch. At 6,30 decided to do a 'scrub watch ' at the bridge. Had a great half hour. Which included a singing willow warbler that later moved towards the cuckoo hide area. Also seen were lesser whitethroat, blackcap 3. Reed w 6. Sedge w. Chiffs10+. as well as a dinging cettis.
Totals so far. Mallard 605. Shelduck 2. Shoveler 8.teal 21. Tufted fem + 4 chicks. Avocet 6 ads + 9 ch. Green sand 16. Common sand 2 juvs. Lapwing 60. Curlew 17..oyc 2 + ch. Dnipe 6. Raven 2. Kingfisher. House martin 100+ over north field at 6am. Common tern ad + juv
Dave J is on the Moors
so far there he has had. Little egret 2. Common tern 2 chicks flying. Yellow wag. Coal tit a.d nuthatch plus 2 cettis sinhing

Multiplying Mallard

This time of year sees large numbers of Mallard gathering overnight at the Flashes, often then moving to the fields to the north if they have been cut with large expanses of stubble available to feed on. Today John has substantially broken the reserve record for Mallard with a count of 605 :t: (plus an unknown number at the Moors and Sailing Pool), moving it on from the 525 noted by myself in 2012 with several previous counts of 500 (1994, 1995 and 2011).

With the peak counts usually falling in late August there is potential for the record count to increase further in 2014.

Attachments

• Mallard max count.jpg
    Mallard max count.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Mallard half month max.jpg
    Mallard half month max.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Update crom Fladhes. Another year tick for me and dave ......HOUSE SPARROW in blackthorn next to hide. Also 70 starlings in hedge. Autumn is here.
also kestrel 3. raven 4.

Last edited:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its really ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

If you go down the Moors today,
You're in for a big surprise!
Well not that big and it was yesterday!
Great poem Vern, hope John can understand it.:t::t::t:

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 174
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its really ever wrong.

derrr ,who's this about :eek!:
Vern You spelled wrong right 8-P
funny though :-O

What do you mean, I just want to be taken seriously :-C

well, not too seriously 3:)
maybe just a bit then o:D
I was away the day they did spelling at school and its too late to learn now,
so sod it 8-P ;):-O

cheers Bob was good to see you at the burger bar yest:t:

also visited Rob in his :-

Attachments

• rob_8404.jpg
    rob_8404.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 157
Mikes gammy legged adult Mediterranean Gull in the roost again this evening. Must have preferred it over Westwood. Spent 10 mins in front of hide before flying to 3rd flash. Large roost from early on this evening also. 1200c birds in by 8pm, but then birds arriving slowed down. 16 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 12 Avocet, 2 Curlew . Masses of Mallard, 1 Shoveler, 4 Common Tern. 100c mixed Swallow/Sand Martin south late on, 1 Swift briefly over moors, where there were 2 Little Egret+ 9 Common Tern, 1 Cormorant

Yesterday's passerine action took the August list up to 90 with less than a third of the month gone; a total of between 105 and 110 species is potentially possible.

Contenders to be added include Mistle Thrush, Grey Wagtail, Treecreeper, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Arctic / Black / Sandwich Tern, Pochard, Garganey, Yellowhammer (remember them :-C), Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, Spotted Flycatcher, any owls, Redshank, Golden Plover, Ruff, Ringed Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Red Kite, Osprey, Marsh Harrier

Has anyone ventured out this morning? Bit of wader movement in the south of the county with 2 Whimbrel and 3 Curlew Sand :t::t::t: at Clifton. Will hopefully be down later.

Wood Sand at the Flashes now. 5 Ruff earlier circled the Moors (both Jason Turner)

Now a new juv Med Gull at Flashes as well as at 6:06pm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back