• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Field Scope (1 Viewer)

grouchfungus

Hello.

I have a Nikon Field Scope with an extra 40x eyepiece. I'm after more information about it.

I'm not sure of the model name/number rough value etc.

I was offered £75 for it at a camera exchange including Tripod.... sure it's worth more though.

Pictures attached.

I've had a look online but cannot find any similar pics of it.

Any info much appreciated.
DSCF3822[1].jpg

DSCF3821[1].jpg

DSCF3818[1].jpg

DSCF3817[1].jpg

DSCF3812[1].jpg
Thanks, Grouch.

Your scope is the Fieldscope II, non-ed. It was the predecessor to the FS III,
and these were available in the regular, and the ED version.

They are a very nice scope, but not waterproof as the FS III is.
There are threads on here about the Nikon scopes referring to this model, just
take some time and go back to 2006 or so.

I have owned a FS I, and also the FS III. I would think the value with
a tripod and that lens should be around $200. US. The body looks to be nice
and the value is if the lenses are scratch free.

Jerry

Your scope is the Fieldscope II, non-ed. It was the predecessor to the FS III,
and these were available in the regular, and the ED version.

They are a very nice scope, but not waterproof as the FS III is.
There are threads on here about the Nikon scopes referring to this model, just
take some time and go back to 2006 or so.

I have owned a FS I, and also the FS III. I would think the value with
a tripod and that lens should be around $200. US. The body looks to be nice
and the value is if the lenses are scratch free.

Jerry

Jerry - Thanks for your reply. Will do as you suggest and check back to earlier years in forum.

I was offered £75 for it at a camera exchange including Tripod.... sure it's worth more though.

It's "worth" on the market whatever you can sell it for. But I know what you mean. This is very nice scope--optically superb with 24 or 30x eyepiece, and very rugged and well assembled. I'd rather have one of these used than any of the new "budget" scopes that cost a lot more. This is the sort of thing I'm always recommending to friends who want a cheap starter scope because it will do what I need a scope to do >95% of the time and will last a lifetime.

--AP

It's "worth" on the market whatever you can sell it for. But I know what you mean. This is very nice scope--optically superb with 24 or 30x eyepiece, and very rugged and well assembled. I'd rather have one of these used than any of the new "budget" scopes that cost a lot more. This is the sort of thing I'm always recommending to friends who want a cheap starter scope because it will do what I need a scope to do >95% of the time and will last a lifetime.

What he said. I'd take the Nikon non-ED over almost any of the budget scopes on the market anytime. If you can't find a 24x or a 30x eyepiece, try looking for one of the 20x eyepieces. They also work very well indeed with that scope.

Hermann

What he said. I'd take the Nikon non-ED over almost any of the budget scopes on the market anytime. If you can't find a 24x or a 30x eyepiece, try looking for one of the 20x eyepieces. They also work very well indeed with that scope.

Hermann

I agree about the standard 20x--it has excellent eye relief and the same true FOV as the 24x wide, just with less magnification. But it looks like "grouchfungus" already has the 20x--it is attached to the scope in the photo. The 40x standard eyepiece that grouchfungus also has is not as nice--optically OK, but poor eye relief and FOV--I'm not a fan of that eyepiece. The good news is that since this is the FS II (rather than FS I) it will fit all eyepieces ever made for the (recently discontinued) fieldscopes, including the latest zooms and DS versions.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back