• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultralight tripod/head for a 400 g (14 oz) scope (2 Viewers)

yarrellii

Supporter
I'm not sure this has been dealt with, given the nature of the scope itself, a Kowa TSN 501, which weights 400 g, under a pound.
Earlier today I've exchange some messages with @dwatsonbirder (the seller of this lovely little scope) about the most appropriate tripod/head combo for such a small and lightweight scope.

Do you have any experience with such a light equipment? I tend to think tripod is easier to use, but probably a monopod could work with this too. However, to address the issue first, I'd like to concentrate on the tripod bit. What do you reckon could be a good combo to maximize weight/portability, that are the strong points of the Kowa (I have a 2 section Manfrotto and a 3 section Sirui for my bigger scope and camera, but those would be overkill and would somehow ruin the how experience I guess).

Any advice or experience?

I'm not sure this has been dealt with, given the nature of the scope itself, a Kowa TSN 501, which weights 400 g, under a pound.
Earlier today I've exchange some messages with @dwatsonbirder (the seller of this lovely little scope) about the most appropriate tripod/head combo for such a small and lightweight scope.

Do you have any experience with such a light equipment? I tend to think tripod is easier to use, but probably a monopod could work with this too. However, to address the issue first, I'd like to concentrate on the tripod bit. What do you reckon could be a good combo to maximize weight/portability, that are the strong points of the Kowa (I have a 2 section Manfrotto and a 3 section Sirui for my bigger scope and camera, but those would be overkill and would somehow ruin the how experience I guess).

Any advice or experience?
Hi
I gave the small Slik Sprint Pro EZ tripod equipped with a Slik SH-707E pan head to a friend of mine who uses the Kowa TSN 501 and she is very happy with it (see pic). The tripod weighs just 1.28 kgs. A more expensive alternative could be the Sirui T-1204XL.

Attachments

• _DSC0522.JPG
    _DSC0522.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
To add further to my messages, another option quite well regarded are the Benro Slim CF legs which I know a couple of members use with compact scopes.
For context, I'd suggested the excellent Velbon Luxi series, with either a ball head (minimal weight) or a Benro S2 head.
Anyone using a tripod with this (or similar) scope?

No compromises on the tripod - if you want to go really low, you're better of with a good monopod than a flimsy tripod. Thus I'd use a Gitzo 1545. Head - if you want the lowest weight possible, you'll probably need to go for a ballhead. RRS BH-25 would be my choice.

Hermann

Last edited:
I use the manfrotto Befree live with my Opticron mm60, would work fine with a lighter scope. I often use it “monopod like” by not opening the legs for quick views. I tried a monopod, but it never gave me the stability I like to have.

Peter

Thanks a lot for all the answers, tips and ideas, much appreciated.

@Saxatilis Thanks for the picture, I find it quite impressive that the person on the picture seems to be using the little Kowa with the center column fully down. :oops: Do you know how tall this person can be?

@Hermann I have never used a monopod, and one of the ideas about the little Kowa was to use it with one, but I don't know what level of performance is to be expected with one. In fact, the Kowa will serve a double purpose, it will be an ultralight option, where the monopod fits perfectly (I don't know if those tripods that allow you to unscrew one leg and use it as a monopod are any good in the field), and the other purpose is to be the first scope of my small daughter, where a tripod (even if small and a little flimsy) would be necessary, although it would be collapsed most of the times, since she's little over 1 m in height :D So the idea of an inexpensive but trusted item like the Slik sounds reasonable.

@wllmspd I had (with great pleasure) the MM3 ED 60 and it was around 1 kg (depending on the eyepiece), so for the Kowa I think I would like to maximize its size and (lack of) weight. So I think the tripod I used for it would be a bit out of proportion (yes, no doubt the better/sturdier the tripod, the better the view, even with a 400 g scope, but the point is reaching a balance between lightness and a reasonable stability). The "monopod" use of a tripod is something I've done in a pinch, but found it a bit awkward :D I found the legs were a bit in the middle (no pun intended). I've never used a monopod either, so I'm not sure what to expect from it. In fact, I use IS 12x, and will probably be getting a 15x, so my use of the scope will like be in the 30-35x range, that's the minimum I usually do with my bigger scope, while very often being in the 40-45 range. So with the little Kowa I'd like to make use of the available magnification, not the last 5-7x, but sure the 30x region.

I've started checking options following some of your tips, I'll see what I can find :)

I have never used a monopod, and one of the ideas about the little Kowa was to use it with one, but I don't know what level of performance is to be expected with one.
That depends on the monopod. I use a Monostat (monostat.de), and that funny looking foot makes a heck of a difference. My mother has also been using a Monostat for well over 20 years now with her Nikon ED 60mm with a 30xWA, and it works for her very well despite her age. Nowadays there are some other makes with a foot similar to the Monostat foot but I don't know how good they are. I can use up to 40x on my monopod.
In fact, the Kowa will serve a double purpose, it will be an ultralight option, where the monopod fits perfectly (I don't know if those tripods that allow you to unscrew one leg and use it as a monopod are any good in the field), and the other purpose is to be the first scope of my small daughter, where a tripod (even if small and a little flimsy) would be necessary, although it would be collapsed most of the times, since she's little over 1 m in height :D So the idea of an inexpensive but trusted item like the Slik sounds reasonable.
In that case you surely need a tripod. And not with a ballhead, a small video head works a lot better for a kid. There are a few small, light video heads with Arca Swiss adapters on amazon, like this one: https://www.amazon.de/Rollei-Stativkopf-Bewegungen-Einbein-Stativen-bewegter/dp/B0B15JG9V9/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2G7UKVV3S5R55&keywords=video+neiger+leicht&qid=1702470083&sprefix=video+neiger+leicht,aps,752&sr=8-2. They're not really good enough for a big scope, but they work just fine with smallish scopes. Chinese made, of course, but quite well made.
In fact, I use IS 12x, and will probably be getting a 15x, so my use of the scope will like be in the 30-35x range, that's the minimum I usually do with my bigger scope, while very often being in the 40-45 range. So with the little Kowa I'd like to make use of the available magnification, not the last 5-7x, but sure the 30x region.
Makes a lot of sense. However, I often use my scopes at lower magnifications, especially when scanning flocks of geese or shorebirds, even though I also use IS binoculars. Makes life a lot easier when you go through a flock bird by bird.

Hermann

@Hermann Thanks a lot for all your ideas, they're very helpful.
I was wondering about how monopods can work best. I've seen many "video/photo" monopods have a small micro "3 finger leg" as a base in order to increase stability. however, that looks to be designed for even flat ground, like indoors or on a more "civilized" environment, I don't know how well it would on the field, were neither the surface nor the evenness are guaranteed, so the Monostat looks interesting, I had never heard of it. I see it can be bought separately and attached to a monopod. Interesting.

As for the Rollei, it looks to be one and the same as the Small Rig CH10 which has gathered a good deal of attention and seems to be regarded as a nice tool. Above Rollei, below Smallrig.

Rolle SmallRig CH10 .jpeg
At 280 g it surely looks well fitted to the 400 g of the Kowa 501, which I think don't pose a great challenge to many heads.
Thanks!

I own a Kowa553, a monopod, and a tripod:
  • I'd never get along with the 553 on monopod. It's a small scope but at 45x it would sway and be near-impossible to hold on target. I do use the monopod with camera and long lens.
  • My priority was lightweight and compact, to be used hiking and traveling. I went with an Oben CT-3565 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod and BZ-217T Triple-Action Ball Head. I intentionally opted to forego the long handle and find that with my hand in usual position wrapped around scope, i can aim it without problem. one of the 3 friction knobs below ball head (the larger rubber knurled one) can be adjusted so the scope stays in-place, but can easily be aimed with hand(s).
  • It packs very compactly, relatively light, works fine with 553 tho of course it's a compromise and subject to more vibration etc. than a more substantial tripod would be. But anything (much) bigger/heavier would invalidate the concept of going with a 'travel scope' imho.
  • FWIW, one of the legs is removable and turns into a monopod, so that option would remain.
1702472716293.png1702472799169.png1702472917683.png

Thanks for the picture, I find it quite impressive that the person on the picture seems to be using the little Kowa with the center column fully down. :oops: Do you know how tall this person can be?
Simply the lower sections are folded, the person is ±1.60m tall...Like her I avoid raising the column which is rather thin

Last edited:
@MiddleRiver Very interesting, thanks for the tip. Out of curiosity, I've just checked the specs of the 553 and discovered that, while the outer dimensions/look may put it close to the TSN 501 but several steps above in terms of optical quality, the 553'2 weight is exactly double of the 501 :oops: I guess that's a lot of quality glass and other nice things, but it puts it closer to the MM4ED 50/60 than the 501, it's quite remarkable. In fact, I find the weight of the 501 nothing short of amazing, even mini-scopes like the 9-27x56 Hummingbird (and siblings) with a much limited reach weight noticeably more.

@MiddleRiver Very interesting, thanks for the tip. Out of curiosity, I've just checked the specs of the 553 and discovered that, while the outer dimensions/look may put it close to the TSN 501 but several steps above in terms of optical quality, the 553'2 weight is exactly double of the 501 :oops: I guess that's a lot of quality glass and other nice things, but it puts it closer to the MM4ED 50/60 than the 501, it's quite remarkable. In fact, I find the weight of the 501 nothing short of amazing, even mini-scopes like the 9-27x56 Hummingbird (and siblings) with a much limited reach weight noticeably more.
wow... I didn't realize that. I'd like to try one sometime! My tolerance for humping heavy gear is diminishing rapidly :-/

A year ago I had a Manfrotto BeFree GT with its lightweight fluid head. I used it with an Opticron MM4 60. Not too heavy, stable, quite high with the centre column down, and packs down to a small size. I would never entertain the idea of a ball head with a scope, even if I was intent on saving weight.

In fact, I find the weight of the 501 nothing short of amazing, even mini-scopes like the 9-27x56 Hummingbird (and siblings) with a much limited reach weight noticeably more.
I have the TSN-501 and can confirm it weighs nothing, you can pack it in your backpack and just forget about it. That said, with hindsight I’d get the straight TSN-502 instead.

@fazalmajid Interesting remark. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate a bit on that. Why go for the straight instead? To be able to handhold more easily?
Yes, as well as use it clamped to a car window, or many jury-rigged mount situations possible with a scope that light. That’s why when I upgraded to the Opticron MM4 with SDLv3, I got a straight one. I do have an eye out for a bargain on the TSN-502 just in case.

I have a monopod I’ve used with my Celestron hummingbird and I find I max out of tolerable viewing around 30x and it takes some getting used to how to hold it. It has a rubber spike which pulls off to reveal a metal spike and I find it most stable with the metal spike in soft ground like grass or dirt. I would be wary of using a monopod at any magnification over 30 as even in ideal conditions you won’t have a good time. I also have a tripod with a removable leg to use as a monopod but it’s pretty horrible on account of being way too short to get to eye level for me (I am over 6’) so if you are considering that look at how long the leg is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back