• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (12 Viewers)

No sign of the RN Duck or Twite at Dormans Pool this morning though the RND was reported again this afternoon. Sparrowhawk, Peregrine and Kestrel x2 seen over the reeds.

RSPB Saltholme - Moorhen, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Teal, Coot and Wigeon a thte Wildlife Watchpoint but no sign of the Water Rails this morning.

A single Waxwing was eating the apples and pears outside the visitor centre window giving very close views through the glass. A single Fieldfare was also present along with Goldfinch, Tits, Greenfinch and a GSW. Teal and Wigeon were feeding on and off just outside the window.

Attachments

• IMG_0115a.jpg
    IMG_0115a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0171a.jpg
    IMG_0171a.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9971a.jpg
    IMG_9971a.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0322b.jpg
    IMG_0322b.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0378a.jpg
    IMG_0378a.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 66
First time out this year so decided on a ride over Weardale/Teesdale.
Not the best of decisions as the weather over the moors was horrendous, with snow, rain, wind, and near Langdon Beck area, was like sitting in a grey cloud :-C.

Anyway birds seen: Large flock of about 300 fieldfare with a few redwing amongst them, couple of lapwing, loads of red grouse, about 20 black grouse near the Langdon Beck hotel, the closest being about a field away + the usual crows, jackdaws, pheasants, BH gulls etc.

Attachments

• _MG_5075.jpg
    _MG_5075.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_7800.jpg
    _MG_7800.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_7958.jpg
    _MG_7958.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_7988.jpg
    _MG_7988.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_8180.jpg
    _MG_8180.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 87
Coues Arctic Redpoll footage from Rainton Meadows

Unless Steve Cliffton has beaten me to it here is the first footage taken of a confirmed Arctic Redpoll at Rainton Meadows. The footage was taken this afternoon around about 1:30ish, just before I was about to give up and go for a wander. Very nice to finally have met MalR, good bit natter and we put the birding world to rights;)

The footage is best viewed by changing the quality from "360p" to "720pHD", this can be done by clicking on the button on the play bar. Also put the video on full screen as the quality is good and you can make out far more of the bird. The footage is short so you may need to play it once of twice to enjoy it! lol

Here's the footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJOwygM6qM

Cheers,

It was a pleasure to meet you today, Andrew. I thoroughly enjoyed the birding and the conversation. Glad I decided to hang around into the afternoon.:t:

Malcolm

Is this a Mistle Thrush

Please can anyone help. Saw this bird today - looked a bit big for a Song Thrush. Looking at the photos Im not a 100% sure if it is a Mistle Thrush or a Song Thrush.

Noel

Attachments

• IMG_7580.JPG
    IMG_7580.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7584.JPG
    IMG_7584.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7591.JPG
    IMG_7591.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 70
Well I have been out on my first proper birding session, and I would like to thank Great Bustard for his assistance and knowledge today. We went to Brasside Ponds this morning which I say is about ¾ frozen. It was very cold and the sun was low in the sky.

Here is what we saw: Long Tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Lesser Redpoll, Chaffinch, Jays, Magpie, Gray Heron, Carrion Crow eating a dead sea gull on the ice, Mute Swans, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe, Mallards, Tufted Ducks, Pochard, Golden Eye, Teal, Wigeon, Wood Pigeon, Pheasants, Blackbirds, Bullfinch, Nuthatch, and finally a Treecreeper.

I think for my first trip out I’ve learnt a lot and again many thanks to Great Bustard. :t:

Last edited:
Arctic Redpoll at Rainton Meadows

A big thanks to all involved in putting up and stocking the feeders with niger seed on Rye Hill.

Without this I wouldn't have had a hope in hell of obtaining the excellent close views of the Arctic Redpoll I saw today at Rainton Meadows.

Well I have been out on my first proper birding session, and I would like to thank Great Bustard for his assistance and knowledge today. We went to Brasside Ponds this morning which I say is about ¾ frozen. It was very cold and the sun was low in the sky.

Here is what we saw: Long Tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Lesser Redpoll, Chaffinch, Jays, Magpie, Gray Heron, Carrion Crow eating a dead sea gull on the ice, Mute Swans, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe, Mallards, Tufted Ducks, Pochard, Golden Eye, Teal, Wigeon, Wood Pigeon, Pheasants, Blackbirds, Bullfinch, Nuthatch, and finally a Treecreeper.

I think for my first trip out I’ve learnt a lot and again many thanks to Great Bustard. :t:

:t:

Severe lack of Thrush sp around site (as in none)

PSiv sent some bits and bobs to your email

Last edited:
A big thanks to all involved in putting up and stocking the feeders with niger seed on Rye Hill.

Without this I wouldn't have had a hope in hell of obtaining the excellent close views of the Arctic Redpoll I saw today at Rainton Meadows.

Cracking views of the Arctic Redpoll today. Thanks to the "Nutter" with the id skills....;)

There was a large flock o mixed redpolls,goldfinches and siskins today, c100, also saw a few more smaller groups (c 20's)of similar around site. It appears to me that these birds numbers are relativley high compare to previous yaers?

Am i right in thinking this or am i mad?

Cracking views of the Arctic Redpoll today. Thanks to the "Nutter" with the id skills....;)

There was a large flock o mixed redpolls,goldfinches and siskins today, c100, also saw a few more smaller groups (c 20's)of similar around site. It appears to me that these birds numbers are relativley high compare to previous yaers?

Am i right in thinking this or am i mad?

Glad to hear you had good views, I haven't had fantastic prolonged views yet. Though I am hoping I will get that in time.

There are defiantly more Redpolls around this year than what there has been in previous years. It appears to be an invasion year for Mealy Redpoll with hundreds/thousands throughout the country. They appear to be bringing in the Arctic Redpolls as well:
3-4 birds at Rainton
2 birds in South Yorkshire
1 bird in Northumberland

They are just the ones we know about, we don't know about the ones we don't know about.;)

Rainton Meadows today:
Nothing of note on the ponds, still frozen, so went up Redpoll hill to try for the Arctic and others.
Large flock of mixed redpoll, goldfinch and the odd siskin, kept flying into the plantation and managed to view all 3 redpoll species, At least 2 Arctic about.
Please note, I was informed as to which was the Arctic.

Pictures as follows:
Lesser, Arctic & Lesser, Arctic & Mealy, Mealy, and last picture top bird Mealy, middle 2 Arctic & bottom Lesser.

Hope I've got It right :eek!:.

Attachments

• _MG_8515.jpg
    _MG_8515.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 133
  • _MG_8722.jpg
    _MG_8722.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 240
  • _MG_8855.jpg
    _MG_8855.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 184
  • _MG_9037.jpg
    _MG_9037.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 159
  • _MG_9057.jpg
    _MG_9057.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 602
A few more of the Arctic.
It was very aggressive to other birds trying to feed.

Attachments

• _MG_8575.jpg
    _MG_8575.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 98
  • _MG_8598.jpg
    _MG_8598.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 138
  • _MG_8802.jpg
    _MG_8802.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 127
  • _MG_8865.jpg
    _MG_8865.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 106
  • _MG_8903.jpg
    _MG_8903.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 138
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back