• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice re new binoculars (1 Viewer)

lizzy

Hi i would like to ask your advice please on which is a bit of a well trodden path. I am after a new pair of bins which are good for both watching wildlife, birds/ insects etc. I would also like a lightish pair any starting points. Many thanks

lizzy said:
Hi i would like to ask your advice please on which is a bit of a well trodden path. I am after a new pair of bins which are good for both watching wildlife, birds/ insects etc. I would also like a lightish pair any starting points. Many thanks

Look at Nikon's Monarch Series or Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Series. They are reasonably priced, lightweight and have close focusing, (esp. the Eagle 32mm bins).
Bob

lizzy said:

Lizzy, a bit more info would be helpful. Do you have a budget? Do you wear glasses? Do you have unusually narrow or wide set eyes? (I have narrow-set eyes.)

I would add two more choices in the price range of those that Bob mentioned. The Swift Audubon 828 HHS and the Swift Ultra-Lite 842R. All of these suggestions are roof-prism models.

well the platinum rangers aren't available over here.....

good general advice is to go somewhere you can try some out. A field day at a local reserve.

presuming a budget of £200-£300

Opticron Verano 8x32 focus to 1.8m weigh 560g cost £250
Minox 8x32 BL focus to 1.9 m weigh 525g cost 239
RSPB 8x32 FG focus to 1.8m weigh 540g cost £300

slightly different
Opticron Traveller 8x32 focus to 2m weigh 450g costs £200

or are you after something cheaper more expensive even lighter. all of the above are good mid range bins.

My first thought after reading your description was the Zeiss Conquest. They are a mid-sized bin but lightest in their class. The other suggestions for a full sized bin in this thread are also great in my opinion. If you want trully light though you may want to consider some of the excellent compact models on the market.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back