• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban population trends (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Since I've been back in the UK, I've noticed that locally to me on the edge of the City of Nottingham (2 miles from the centre), House Sparrows seem to be on the up, Goldfinches are now very common and Woodpigeons seem to have almost totally displaced Collared Doves.

Anyone else noticed similar trends in urban areas?

Last edited:
Since I've been back in the UK, I've noticed that locally to me on the edge of the City of Nottingham (2 miles from the centre), House Sparrows seem to be on the up, Goldfinches are now very common and Woodpigeons seem to have almost totally displaced Collared Doves.

Here on the edge of Birmingham I would agree with all three observations.

Hi Andy,

For Germany, there's been a "citizen science" program to track "garden birds", which tends to give results biased towards urban areas.

Here's are the results after 15 years of coordinated counting ... in German, but the info graphics are easy to understand for any birder :)

https://www.nabu.de/tiere-und-pflan...stunde-der-gartenvoegel/ergebnisse/22414.html

Regards,

Henning

Agree on ##2 & 3, but no sign of any House Sparrow increase here (southeast Northumbs). My flock of toothed hens is doing better.

Goldfinches do seem to be a lot commoner in many urban areas I've visited in recent years, and woodpigeons are now well habituated to the urban environment - certainly I see them more frequently than collared doves, which seem quite localised (in the sense of, e.g. one end of a street having them, the other just woodpigeons).

With house sparrows there has clearly been a well evidenced decline in Britain, but my impression mirrors Andy's that they seem to be on the rebound in recent years. In my partner's former garden in central Northumberland house sparrows didn't feature at all until the last ca. 4-5 years, although they were present elsewhere in the village - then they moved in and started breeding, evidence to me of a local range expansion. In my village in NW Durham they've remained common, with tree sparrows occasional.

Now my partner is living in an urban fringe location in SE Northumberland, she's only had a couple of house sparrows in the garden, which bears out Nutcracker's comments - but encouragingly, tree sparrows are regular visitors.

Obviously these are just anecdotal observations, so it will be interesting to see what BTO population trends show for these species.

Hi Andy,

Thanks Henning, so House Sparrows and Wood Pigeons up and Blackbirds down, that last one is a surprise?

You're right.

There's a lethal virus (the Usutu virus) spreading in Germany that affects mainly Blackbirds, and it seems a second virus wave with an even more aggressive variant is currently travelling down the Rhine valley.

However, from the full German text on the "garden birds" project, it seems that this virus doesn't have a major impact on total population as the Blackbird numbers were going down even before the virus arrived, and are going down even in areas not yet affected by the virus, albeit at a slightly slower rate.

So, no clear answer to what's going on with the Blackbirds! :-(

Regards,

Henning

Here in Surrey (Surbiton way) I've noticed a large increase in Goldfinch numbers and House Sparrows have been increasing from a very low level 20 years ago. Woodpigeons more common while Collared Doves seem to have decreased. Blackbird numbers appear pretty stable as do those for Robins, Great, Blue and Long-tailed Tits. Starlings appear to be holding their own. Parakeet numbers are always increasing...

not a million miles away from Andy in Leicester but I agree. My local Sparrows doing very well, Goldfinches very common and woodpigs everywhere. I only have a very small garden but not uncommon for four or five birds to be around the feeders, on the fence or generally hanging around on nearly every TV aerial. Had a pair mating all over the garden yesterday! Still get a regular pair of Collared doves but starlings are a rarity these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back