• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

besides being slightly brighter, what does 50mm do over 42? better resolution? (1 Viewer)

308CAL

50mm bino's have less FOV than their 42mm counterparts. besides brightness, what do the 50mm offer as an advantage. does the larger objective offer better resolution/detail or a larger sweet spot?

50mm bino's have less FOV than their 42mm counterparts. besides brightness, what do the 50mm offer as an advantage. does the larger objective offer better resolution/detail or a larger sweet spot?

brightness is the most important one, also when you want a 12x binoculair its better to take 50mm because 'again' for the brightness. i have a 10x42mm and a 12x50mm in use .

i am saying comparing an 8x42 ultravid vs an 8x50 ultravid.... anything besdies brightness? the focal length must be longer in the 50 as its a longer bino

i am saying comparing an 8x42 ultravid vs an 8x50 ultravid.... anything besdies brightness? the focal length must be longer in the 50 as its a longer bino

focal lenght is not a point here, the 50mm is brighther,but has less field of view, is heavier ,and smallest focussing distance is further away than the 42mm, so i would take a 8x42mm , and when i want a 12x i would take a 50mm, but i will give you 1 advice , when it is for birding and you have only 1 binoculair take a 10x42, 8x is sometimes not enough.

50mm will hae longer minimal focus distance than 42mm binoculars. Other than brightness, there is not much benefit for using 50mm over 42mm.

Well, not specific to the two models mentioned above but in general, much of what was stated above is not "always" true.

Examples
Nikon 8x32 vs Nikon 10x42. 10x42 has shorter close focus.
Fujinon 10x50 has a wider fov than 8 different 8x40, 8x42 and 10x42.
another 3 10x50s equal or exceed the fov of two other 42s
one particular 8x42 exceeds the brightness of 2 different 7x50s (as measured by faintest light delivered).

edz

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back