• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beetle for ID please (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Is this some sort of cardinal beetle? Quite a handsome beast!
It was roughly 25 mms long.
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• red beetle (2).JPG
    red beetle (2).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It appears to be Pyrochroa coccinea, which is one of the cardinal beetles. I've seen several recently. They are quite impressive to see in flight!
P.serraticornis is smaller and has a red head.

Paul, the site you refer to gives the lily beetle as c8mm long. This was more like 25mm - so I think I'm OK. (I've had lily beetles and they are quite a bit smaller.)
Ken

Handsome beast or not - what you have, I think, is the lily beetle Lilioceris lilii - something of pest. Would definitely take precautionary measures to protect your lilies and related plants .....

Many thanks for this Paul, I've Googled beetles today after taking this pic on our Lilies and couldn't find a match anywhere. I don't think this is Surreybirders beast but it is mine which are eating the lilies and it looks like there are more to come!

Dave J

Attachments

• Lilybeetle.jpg
    Lilybeetle.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
RedEyedVireo has Lily beetles it seems, SurreyBirder's is a Cardinal-the antennae are out of focus, but I think I can just make out the pectination.

Once you start looking the garden is teeming with all sorts of colourful insects. I wonder if anyone can tell me what this one is - at least to family?
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• bug on ox-eye (650).jpg
    bug on ox-eye (650).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 75
Once you start looking the garden is teeming with all sorts of colourful insects. I wonder if anyone can tell me what this one is - at least to family?
Thanks,
Ken

My guess would be one of the Digger wasps, many prey on flies/Hover-flies which they catch on flowers, the females stock their burrows with paralysed
prey.

My guess would be one of the Digger wasps, many prey on flies/Hover-flies which they catch on flowers, the females stock their burrows with paralysed
prey.

Thanks for that steer, Busyb. In Chinery there's a pic of Ectemnius cephalotes which bears a close resemblance so I think you are in the right area. They must be rapid movers if they can catch hoverflies. I find they are *****s to photograph.
Ken

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back