• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski New binocular launch (1 Viewer)

Are we expecting some launches in Rutland Bird fair from alpha manufacturers. I think it's time for Swarovski to make some changes in EL to compete with ZEiss SF. At least I am expecting something new, may be some small changes only. Let's see what happens ?

Sanjay

Are we expecting some launches in Rutland Bird fair from alpha manufacturers. I think it's time for Swarovski to make some changes in EL to compete with ZEiss SF. At least I am expecting something new, may be some small changes only. Let's see what happens ?

There may be some news at the Bird Fair. On the other hand, there may be not. As a matter of fact, I don't really think Swarovski will *have to change* anything yet. Why should they? Their binoculars are still pretty good, aren't they? And don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to develop a new binocular AND get it into production.

Actually, I think it's more likely that one of the other big players will have something to show ... Leica, for instance.

And even if there ARE any new binoculars, it may be a good idea to wait some time until they (whoever "they" is) have sorted out the bugs.

Hermann

In the programme for the Birdfair, Swarovski has a full page ad showing what appears to be a new system for attaching the neckstrap, gone are the lugs. There also appear to be a new system for fixing the OG caps and a new rainguard

Which kind of confirm the fact that there can be some changes, may be small in Binocular. But I am not sure how this small change will be good enough to bring more sales.

Also I think there is need to have new binocular since it seems that ZEiss SF has taken lead on ergonomics, field of view and I am assuming the optical quality is same.

Chris,

Can you send link of that one page ad.

Sanjay

In the programme for the Birdfair, Swarovski has a full page ad showing what appears to be a new system for attaching the neckstrap, gone are the lugs. There also appear to be a new system for fixing the OG caps and a new rainguard

Swarovski updated the Range models this way a few months ago,
so the upcoming updates to the EL models may be very much the same.

Jerry

Yes of course. I mean for SW. You have to buy the original, no more aftermarket.

Indeed. When they introduced the update EL Range, I wondered about this as well. With the new strap attachment, it doesn't seem possible to use any harnesses or straps other than the original one.

I'd expect Swaro provide some sort of solution to allow people use other straps or harnesses, as this would certainly turn away a number of potential buyers, but I havn't seen anything like that so far

Indeed. When they introduced the update EL Range, I wondered about this as well. With the new strap attachment, it doesn't seem possible to use any harnesses or straps other than the original one.

I'd expect Swaro provide some sort of solution to allow people use other straps or harnesses, as this would certainly turn away a number of potential buyers, but I havn't seen anything like that so far

Zeiss tried something similar with the orginal Victory. They had to go back to the traditional strap attachment when users weren't happy at all, AND they modified existing binoculars upon request. Trying to force users to use your own accessories exclusively is a very bad idea.

It it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hermann

Can you share if possible add from Swarovski on this in bird fare.

Regards

Sanjay

what I'm most interested in is the new armouring on these new EL's, a new hypoallergenic with no softening agents...whatever that means - I'm fed up with having to sort my bins out cos the armouring has just peeled off! (the Zeiss Victory's aren't too good on that score!). Optical improvements all very well but making the thing that is contact with an assortment of crap in the environment hard wearing and reflect the hefty price tags of optics....rant over!

what I'm most interested in is the new armouring on these new EL's, a new hypoallergenic with no softening agents...whatever that means - I'm fed up with having to sort my bins out cos the armouring has just peeled off! (the Zeiss Victory's aren't too good on that score!). Optical improvements all very well but making the thing that is contact with an assortment of crap in the environment hard wearing and reflect the hefty price tags of optics....rant over!

The Swarovski armor works very well for me, and I would advise not changing a thing.

I am not sure why you have gone on such a rant. :smoke:
Tell us more ?

Jerry

Thanks Pete!

Not exactly groundbreaking developments here. Basically this means: no real update of the SV any time soon. As was to be expected.

The objective covers could be nice (for those who use them).

Regarding the strap attachments, the text does not sound like it is possible to use third party straps or harnesses. Perhaps something Dale could comment on?

Seems they have removed the article. Perhaps it was published before the embargo date ...

To summarize what it contained: it described the new features of a new version of the Swarovision EL to be released soon, which were basically the accesories added to the EL Range:
- New strap attachment system (the article said, that the Swaro harness can also be used by additional quick release attachments)
- New material of the armour, antiallergic or something
- Some sort of locking mechanismn to the diopter
- Objective covers that can be directly attached to the tubes

No mention of any changes in the optical system.

Yup, they took that page down in a hurry.

A locking diopter? I've never heard that anyone ever had a problem with the old one. Seems like an odd effort.

And evidently no change to the designer luggage--I mean the binocular cases. ;)

Mark

PS: the objective caps look great. I wonder if they'll work on existing Swaros?

Last edited:
I am just wondering, how much more Swarovski is going to charge for this. It's just seems the same change as they have done in El range. It just seems some cosmetic change only. Not sure how much of substance in that.

Sanjay

Indeed, from the article it sounded all like cosmetic changes only. If you don't care for these, you're probably better off buying the current version with the current discount offered.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back