• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New AX Visio 10x32 binocular (2 Viewers)

Another thought/question to Per and Canip,

It seemed that the information about the probability of the accuracy of the ID is lost on the stored pictures. At least I did not find it in the photos once they were in Outdoor or Merlin. I thought it would be very useful in learning to use the Visio in the most productive ways if one could see whether ID had been 1-24, 25-49, 50-74 or 75-100% confident when analysing photos afterwards. Now it only says no ID or gives the species.

If this is indeed lacking, maybe it could be brought in by software update.
That would indeed be useful.

Reading some more recent reviews on the internet. Some are quite negative, saying that the ID functionality gives them plenty of wrong answers.
That's not my experience so far. I mostly get a correct ID or the answer "No ID", but rarely a wrong answer.

What's your experience ?

Last edited:
Yes, but not in figures: when you push the button half-way down you will see quarters of the "aiming circle" change, one at a time, from thin to bolder curves. Four of them, 0-25, 26-50, 51-75 and a highly theoretical 100% (or 75-100!). This is not reflected in the app as far as I have seen.

Those bolded circle sectors is what I meant, that is how the binocular shows the probability of ID being correct. Since that information is provided momentarily during ID, it should in my view remain in the metadata of the photo and be available for later analysis. Now we only have the species if the system provided an ID, or lack thereof if it didn't.

I am not sure you can talk about „probabilities“ here.
See attached the table from the Visio manual that describes the meaning of the bold circle segments.
2 segments getting bold just means „bird detected“, 3 segments means „inexact identification result“. It doesn‘t say HOW inexact.
Etc.
IMG_4714.jpeg

I think in future it would definitely be useful to have some probability attached to the identification, so that users are more aware as to use their own judgment. Whether that is easy or difficult to implement, no idea...

I am not sure you can talk about „probabilities“ here.
See attached the table from the Visio manual that describes the meaning of the bold circle segments.
2 segments getting bold just means „bird detected“, 3 segments means „inexact identification result“. It doesn‘t say HOW inexact.
Etc.
View attachment 1559304
I hate it: you are quite right. I didn't read closely enough. So, it's a sort of two-stepped thing: 0-50, 51- more... At least that is honest.😄

I hate it: you are quite right. I didn't read closely enough. So, it's a sort of two-stepped thing: 0-50, 51- more... At least that is honest.😄
The whole thing is somewhat difficult to interpret. One bold circle element means according to Swaro „Auto Focus complete, no GPS signal“, so you would expect nothing useful from it, but I have had correct bird identifications with only one circle segment lit bold.

The whole thing is somewhat difficult to interpret. One bold circle element means according to Swaro „Auto Focus complete, no GPS signal“, so you would expect nothing useful from it, but I have had correct bird identifications with only one circle segment lit bold.
That is why I was led to believe they represented probabilities. Mind you, there may be a connection: "I've got focus, don't know where I am, but I think it may be a (insert bird name) " which is between 0-25%?
Per

Thanks Canip, this clarifies things. Or maybe not. It would still be useful to have this data with the stored photo. GPS data is, but over that, at least level three/four would be nice to know. Based on the table, one segment should not provide an ID since the system would not have detected a bird at all, but I'm pretty sure I got some ID's with just one segment also. I don't have the AX Visio anymore, so cannot check further.

I went looking and found that Oslo had a new record of -31.1°C

Colder than I’ve ever seen it. About -15°F is my lowest.
I suppose the reply should have been "...and that was indoors..."🥶, but yes, it is some of the coldest weather I have experienced in the southeast, and how birds survive...they must have an incredible metabolism in addition to down, feathers and air sacks. And regardless of coatings: lenses will actively trap any humidity in the air. Brrrrrrr...

Clement weather and some minutes outside with the AX: there is a quartered "cake" visible when identifying in the ax. When provoking the ID I saw that it was accompanied by this cake, and the number of lighted quarters seemed to be associated with how "sure" the app is of its id attempt...
And focus is all important, here as otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back