• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (1 Viewer)

Sorry mate. That was honestly just me not thinking and forgeting the score.

I'm sure you'll pull it back though.

Jason

any *****-****** there then ;)

Not today.

Is there a real need to not name them?

Natural England are not shy about it on their website.

Birds found at Martin Down include turtledove, grey partridge, nightingale, skylark, yellowhammer and linnet. Hobby and quail may also be encountered and Montagu’s harrier and stone-curlew sometimes visit the site.
Natural England - Martin Down

Todays sightings

White-throated Sparrow still this morning in area with no public access (from a personal opimion please don't try and sneak in because you'll only make access far less likely to be granted)

also at least one Roseate Tern still at Hill Head/Titchfield Haven plus 2 Arctic Skuas, Little Tern, 3 Little Gulls

Bonxie past Milford-on-Sea

3 Poms past Hurst

can't imagine too many people were out in thsi weather though!

Last edited:
where abouts was the Spotted Flycatcher, it's becoming a pretty scarce bird in Hampshire now. The only NF locations that I am aware of are Denny Wood and Slufters Inclosure

Hi teamsaint

2 more Spotted Flycatchers along the egde of Wooton Coppice Inclosure & Brownhills Inclosure along the Avon Water. Kingfisher & Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there aswell.

Do you still want me to let you know where else I see them?

thanks Deer Stalker for the info, hopefully I'll be able to look in the areas you've mentioned soon.

Yesterday evening 5 Woodlarks, Cuckoo sitting on a fence post nice views, 3 Woodcock, Stonechats, Kestrels, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Jays, Mistle Thrushes, Garden Warbler, Linnets, Stock Doves, Yellowhammers etc etc on Baddesley Common/Emer Bog

thanks Deer Stalker for the info, hopefully I'll be able to look in the areas you've mentioned soon.

Yesterday evening 5 Woodlarks, Cuckoo sitting on a fence post nice views, 3 Woodcock, Stonechats, Kestrels, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Jays, Mistle Thrushes, Garden Warbler, Linnets, Stock Doves, Yellowhammers etc etc on Baddesley Common/Emer Bog

5 Woodlarks ain't bad.

drove past farlington marshes twice today on either side of a visit to sussex and then I get home and find out that I drove past a American Golden Plover twice today, now perhaps pagers aren't that bad after all...

Lol, unlucky mate. I spent the day hobbling around the New Forest today, but bumped into a chap with a pager who informed me. I arrived at Farlington at around 7 and it was showing really well. Looks like it'll be there tomorrow.

Shall write about what I saw in a bit.

Jason

Lol, unlucky mate. I spent the day hobbling around the New Forest today, but bumped into a chap with a pager who informed me. I arrived at Farlington at around 7 and it was showing really well. Looks like it'll be there tomorrow.

Shall write about what I saw in a bit.

Jason

oh sh1t, even the cripple saw it;)

Rofl! Very funny. You'll get over it though B :)

oh sh1t, even the cripple saw it;)

Yeah, anyway. Very good day today, both in the Forest, and Farlington. My knee has been getting better over the last few days, and I've been dying to get out of the house properly. Turned out to be a good move, as the knee held up fine, and hardly aches at all 3:). However, I reckon I must have looked like a complete muppet hobbling along on a crutch. Still, nice to be out.

Considering the state of my knee, I decided to set myself a few target birds, rather than wandering around aimlessly for miles like I usually do. These were; Wood Warbler, Hobby and Dartford Warbler. Wood Warbler would be a lifer, and the other 2 I had yet to see in the Forest

Started at about midday, (which is fine, in my opinion B :) ), at Mark Ash Wood. Over the (short) distance I covered here I saw 6+ Redstarts, 1 Spotted Fly, 2 Firecrests and the other usual suspects. No Wood Warblers though, which was what I was hoping for. Am not complaining tho, by any means!

Next, onto beaulieu Road Station, where I managed to hobble down to Woodfidley Passage. Quite a treck for a cripple (;)) but the knee did me proud. Good birds along this route, including a high soaring Hobby (1st target bird seen), a Dartford Warbler (2nd target bird seen), 1 Redstart, lots of Stonechats, a Wheatear, one heard Crossbill and 2 Wood Warblers (woo hoo!!!). Also saw this years 1st House Martins, collecting mud from a puddle, with Swallows. (Noticed that House Martins have feathered feet. Got me wondering; do we actually know where they winter? Probably a dumb Q.) Driving back towards Lyndhurst another pair of Hobbys swooped low over the road. I parked up and had absolutely breathtaking views of the two of them.

Final stop, having been told by a very nice chap with a pager that there was something nice there (you knows it Teamsaint!), was Farlington Marshes. Arrived at about 7pm and hobbled straight down to the Lakes, where there sat an American Golden Plover. Very nice, and showing very well. Spread its wings a couple of times to show dingy grey auxilleries, so ruling out European, and the primary projection was too long for Pacific. Dont get me wrong; I trusted the original id, but it wasn't exactly a first glance obvious bird. So, good work Jason!!! (and Jason Crook, who originally found it, last week) Also had a Little Tern swoop down onto the pool and stop on the mud for a bit, which was very nice. 2 Lesser Black Backed Gulls also stopped, and the reeds were heaving with Reed Warblers.

So good day it was. Knee did me proud!

Jason

Last edited:
AG Plover still present at 15:30 this afternoon, at Farlington, on the near side of The Lakes. Flew off at 17:30 and I wasn't able to relocate it. However, being a cripple, it wasn't a massively extensive search! Could still be around.

Also seen:

4+ Little Terns, including one taking a bath on The Lakes. V. nice.
2 Bearded Tits
1 Ringed Plover
19 Dunlins in S. plumage
c8 Black Tailed Godwits
Sedgies, Reedies and Cettis all over the place.

Jason

AG Plover still present today, showing well.

Also a 1st summer Grey Plover in similar plumage, which had me going for a bit! Thought we had 2 AGPs!

plenty of birds in Hampshire today:

American Golden Plover still at Farlington on the lake plus Curlew Sandpiper
Temminck's Stint Needs Ore Point for second day
Little Stint, Garganey, LRP all at Keyhaven
Spoonbill still at Titchfield Haven plus 2 reported circling over and dropping down in the Upper Haven. don't know how many birds are involved

Also yesterday Wood Sandpiper at Hook-with-Warsash

American Golden Plover still on the Lake at Farlington, handing around with a near summer plumaged Curlew Sandpiper (was this reported there yesterday Teamsaint, or on the Oysterbeds? I had a look last night, but couldn't find it). Very nice anyhoo. A Marsh Harrier made an apperance, over the reedbeds at the back of the river.

Also went to see the Kentish Plover at Church Norton, W. Sussex, which was showing very well on the mudflats, along with a full summer Grey Plover, 2 full summer Knots and other bits and bobs.

Jason

American Golden Plover still on the Lake at Farlington, handing around with a near summer plumaged Curlew Sandpiper (was this reported there yesterday Teamsaint, or on the Oysterbeds? I had a look last night, but couldn't find it). Very nice anyhoo. A Marsh Harrier made an apperance, over the reedbeds at the back of the river.

Also went to see the Kentish Plover at Church Norton, W. Sussex, which was showing very well on the mudflats, along with a full summer Grey Plover, 2 full summer Knots and other bits and bobs.

Jason

so the cripple has seen more than one rare wader in a day

save me Jebus!!!

If I'm honest, I feel a bit guilty, what with all of the twitching and all. But I'm not likely to be walking any long distances with this knee. It was horrible only stopping at the Kentish Plover and not cheching out the rest of the place. V. nice bird all the same. Check the tides first if you want to see it though.

Jason

Heres some crappy pictures of the American Golden Plover with the Curlew Sandpiper taken with my mobile through my scope. Feel free to slate as much as you like. At least the cripple saw them ;)

Attachments

• Cropped AGP + CS 1.JPG
    Cropped AGP + CS 1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Cropped AGP + CS 2.JPG
    Cropped AGP + CS 2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 230
Very good pictures Jason.
I had only my second visit of Farlington yesterday afternoon, and had the place to myself.After a full circuit around the sea wall i didn't see anyone else, until i got to the lake.
Altogether i saw 34 species, including ringed plover, reed warbler, and a single brent goose on a pond with some cattle.Shouldn't they all have migrated by now?
The american golden plover was showing well but i didn't see the curlew sandpiper. I was hoping to see some little tern and some sandwich terns, but i dipped on them aswell, are the oysterbeds in Langstone harbour a good place to see them?
Plenty of whitethroat and some dartford warblers on Browndown common, Gosport (Tuesday)
Hope the gammy knee gets better!

Alan.

Hi Alan.

Thanks. I was quite pleased with how the pics came out on the computer, to be honest. Only been able to get them off the phone today, because of software problems.

I haven't been able to get round the whole reserve for the past 4 weeks (I'm sure everyones sick of hearing why by now!), so I cant really give you a full rundown of what you may have missed. Tbh, you probably did ok, as the reserve does seem to quieten down at this time of year. In the winter you can easily surpass 60 species. Most of the duck species are gone now I'd imagine, along with Rock and Water Pipits, the Merlins, Grebes (all 4, bar Little which is resident) many of the waders (although they're still clinging on in small numbers) and the brents (bar one, obviously! There were thousands though! Just a straggler).

However, at this time of year, and later in autumn, the reserve can be excelent for uncommon waders, such as the AG Plover, obviously. It's also heaving with Common and Lesser Whitethroats, Sedge and Reed Warblers. There is also a Common Sandpiper around, but it's tricky to spot unless you know where it tends to hang around. Wheatears and Yellow Wags are also fairly regular.

All three Tern species should be viewable from the reserve. I've had at least 1 Little Tern fly in and bathe on the Lake, where the AGP is, every evening for the past 4 days, so it's worth just sitting and watching the lake for a bit if you've got time. It's really nice to see. You also get a few flying close behind you, along with Commons and Sandwich Terns. It's worth scanning out over the water also for these, as they're usually fishing.

Well done with the Dartfords. Theres a pair breeding near me I believe, but I'll keep the site quiet.

Shame about the Curlew Sand. Really nice bird. I didnt see it yesterday evening either. There was one on the Oysterbeds though, apparently. Probably the same bird.

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Jason

Very good pictures Jason.
I had only my second visit of Farlington yesterday afternoon, and had the place to myself.After a full circuit around the sea wall i didn't see anyone else, until i got to the lake.
Altogether i saw 34 species, including ringed plover, reed warbler, and a single brent goose on a pond with some cattle.Shouldn't they all have migrated by now?
The american golden plover was showing well but i didn't see the curlew sandpiper. I was hoping to see some little tern and some sandwich terns, but i dipped on them aswell, are the oysterbeds in Langstone harbour a good place to see them?
Plenty of whitethroat and some dartford warblers on Browndown common, Gosport (Tuesday)
Hope the gammy knee gets better!

Alan.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back