• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd BOP?.....N.East London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Allowing for the fact that it is one of the worst film clips that I've ever taken, with subject out of focus and obscured. It does have some merit though I believe, regarding attempting an ID?

I have a hunch but only that! My problem is with the tail, which to my eye appears ''pale?''.

Objective comments appreciated, taken Saturday Nov.10th.

Cheers https://youtu.be/dn6iE8KhMzI

Looks and flies like a Common Buzzard to me. Lacks the longer-winged, more 'eagle-like' silhouette of Rough-leg, if that's what you're angling for. Your eyesight must be exceptional; I can't even distinguish the tail clearly, let alone assess what colour it is!

RB

Last edited:
Looks and flies like a Common Buzzard to me. Lacks the longer-winged, more 'eagle-like' silhouette of Rough-leg, if that's what your angling for. Your eyesight must be exceptional; I can't even distinguish the tail clearly, let alone assess what colour it is!

RB

Here are a few grabs from the clip....am thinking image 3 is showing a longer tail than one might expect from a Buteo?

Attachments

• P1810766.jpeg   BOP 100.jpg
    P1810766.jpeg BOP 100.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 64
  • P1810789.jpeg   BOP sp 200.jpg
    P1810789.jpeg BOP sp 200.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 67
  • P1810823.jpeg   Buzby 823.jpg
    P1810823.jpeg Buzby 823.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 115
  • P1810831.jpeg   BOP sp 102.jpg
    P1810831.jpeg BOP sp 102.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P1810830.jpeg   BOP sp 101.jpg
    P1810830.jpeg BOP sp 101.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 58
.am thinking image 3 is showing a longer tail than one might expect from a Buteo?

Ken, remember that CB juveniles show a slightly longer tail than adults. I find that this is often disconcerting and the field impression is surprisingly noticeable. I think you ought to try and age your CBs ;)

Ken, remember that CB juveniles show a slightly longer tail than adults. I find that this is often disconcerting and the field impression is surprisingly noticeable. I think you ought to try and age your CBs ;)

Ah yes Simon! I've never noticed a tail difference on CB's between Adults and Juvs. probably down to my pre-occupation with the under-parts, and the existence, or absence, of tail barring.

However my main concern was the ''faintness'' of the tail compared to the body on the profile grabs and was attributing it to the camera's ''contrast'' focusing which as I understand it....is governed by the grey scale limit, as set on Panasonic cameras.

Thus I reasoned that it would be biased towards the darker tones under the prevailing ambient lighting with pale tones almost disappearing.

Going through my gallery I found this (much better image) showing an imm. CB, with an almost ''contrasting'' paler longer tail...which was most instructive.

The moral here is....get better images. :)

Attachments

• P1600800.jpeg  Buzby at eye level.jpeg
    P1600800.jpeg Buzby at eye level.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 80
My way to ID has never been with photos - I really do prefer to try and scope anything that's being difficult in the field and resolve the ID there. Of course there are times a wished I had a half decent camera with me :t:

My way to ID has never been with photos - I really do prefer to try and scope anything that's being difficult in the field and resolve the ID there. Of course there are times a wished I had a half decent camera with me :t:

Words of wisdom indeed. If you can't trust your eyes, why trust a dodgy, artifact-blighted digital image!?

RB

Words of wisdom indeed. If you can't trust your eyes, why trust a dodgy, artifact-blighted digital image!?

RB

My modus operandi as far as optics is concerned is...if at distance or “close in”, Bins then “film clip”. Overall for me...a record of events with access to images after the event for possible reference. The bird in question was singularly to the limitational extreme, however a good excercise nonetheless. I find that digital images invariably give a proportional and cosmetically accurate account of “what’s on offer”, and allows one to see at 25 frames per second, something that would have been too fast to register with the naked eye!

Looks and flies like a Common Buzzard to me. Lacks the longer-winged, more 'eagle-like' silhouette of Rough-leg, if that's what you're angling for. Your eyesight must be exceptional; I can't even distinguish the tail clearly, let alone assess what colour it is!

RB

Big apologies. But have just realised that "assess" is an extraordinarily rare word. It is actually one of the only known english words where a double-plural is acceptable. Perhaps because there are so many of them about! :cat:

Agree with CB ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back