• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audenshaw reservoirs (1 Viewer)

TonyC

Private Property, Keep Out, beware of the killer guard dogs.

It's a real mystery why birds keep getting reported on Birdline yet this is site is off-limits to the great unwashed. United Utilities alledgedly have a permit system but it is impossible to find out how to get one, and I work for the company !

Basically you park on a side road, walk along the perimeter then when no-one is looking, you climb over the fence and get a view of the fabled water that is such a top-secret. Today in the mist we were lucky to spot the Red-necked Grebe before a thick fog descended.

Judging by the beer cans, graffiti and dog s**t, we are not the only 'fence jumpers'.

Why can't United Utilities be like other water companies and open up access to their sites - look at Kielder, Rutland, Chew Valley Lake, and Tophill Low for example.

United Utilities treat everyone as a potential terrorist or suicidal swimmer. Look at Hope Carr - the old Leigh Sewage Works. There's a lovely hide which is kept locked (key available Monday - Friday, 9 - 5 if you are lucky enough to find the warden - tough luck weekend birders).

Or Prescott Reservoir - surrounded by razor wire and an electric fence. Why can't UU provide a simple car park and viewpoint like at Ladybower ?

Looking at the bird reports, all sorts of goodies drop in at Audenshaw and luckily someone manages to spot them now and again. Come on UU, give Joe Public a chance and maybe boost your 'environmental' credentials a bit.

Thankfully I had a friend that lived in Ashton who knew how to get in. Without his knowledge I wouldn't have had a clue.

Have to agree with Tony regards the opening up of these waters. Don't know if it will happen though as this company doesn't appear to be in tune with the public access needs.

Maybe they're not prepared to accept the health and safety responsibilities? I don't know the place but I guess a drowning there would be regarded very differently from one at an obviously public amenity like Chew Valley lake. Not a lawyer - just guessing.

Jason

Hi,
I live about 10 minutes walk from Audenshaw Reservoir and it's been recommended by loads of people but how do you get on and how do you get a key for the hide?

BirderBoy :hippy: peace

I got on yesterday through one of the holes in the fence. (There are a few) :-O
I didn't get to stay long as it was quite late but here's what I saw:
Goldeneye (1) ♂ (Lifer)
Goosander (10) ♀♂ (Lifer)
Glaucous Gull 1st Winter (1) (Lifer)
Pochards (30-40) ♂♀
Tufted Ducks (10-15) ♂♀
Huge Gull Roost (400+) :eek!:
HUGE ROOST!
It's really worth going if you can. :t:

BirderBoy :hippy: peace

p.s
Hi Birder Boy,

Audenshaw Res is I believe a permit only site, so you would have to apply for a permit and key. Not sure if you have to pay, But check out the Manchester Birding Webpage under sites for more info - www.manchesterbirding.com

Kane

Thanks B :)

The holes in the fence are still there. I know folk who go without permit and those with permits whine about it, but nowt changes. And that includes dog-walkers as well. It's up to the individual I guess.....can they live with themselves?
Regards, Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back