• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need assistance planning Ecuador / Colombia (1 Viewer)

Pedroinspain

I never thought that I would ever have a problem deciding when to go on a birding trip. Here's the objective: Visit Ecuador - highlands, both Andean slopes plus a few days in Amazonia (about 2 1/2 weeks); Visit Galapagos (I also dive and my wife is an avid snorkeler); since I have to fly via Bogota, stop off in Colombia for 2 weeks.

Ecuador: I don't want murky water and rough seas in the Galapagos, so (I think) that rules out June to December. The high Andes can be pretty darn chilly and rainy from December to March - not impossible but not preferred - I hate packing for climatic extremes. So we seem to be left with April and May.

Now onto Colombia: Nasty October-November are already ruled out, but so is sunny and 'dry' December to February. And .... Murphy!!!! .... there is the secondary rainy season in April/May.

My question. Do any forum members know if that 'secondary' means wasted days and washed out roads? If so, I might have to split the trip and save Colombia for another time.

Thanks in anticipation.

I do not know the conditions where you dive in Galapagos, but the couple of times we snorkeled on our visit in August of last year, the conditions were fine. We snorkeled in protected bays. There were rough waves during one longer passage from one island to another -- we were on a birding trip around the islands.

Our 1+1/2 week of birding in the Andean areas both east and west of Quito were good. I believe if you travel around a bit, 4 weeks pass fast in Ecuador. We never made it to lowlands on the eastern side, and only one day lower than 1200 m on the west side. If you go south in Ecuador, there should be some additional birds not available around Quito.

Never been to Colombia.

Niels

We were in Ecuador and Colombia in April and the roads were fine except that one road from Loja to Copalinga where the traffic got backed up for a couple hours.

I am notoriously seasick so we only did a land-based Galapagos visit but was very happy with my choice of San Cristobal. We did do a day trip in a boat to Punta Pitt to see the boobies which was very successful but pushed my tolerance of being in a small boat to the limit!

I am notoriously seasick so we only did a land-based Galapagos visit but was very happy with my choice of San Cristobal. We did do a day trip in a boat to Punta Pitt to see the boobies which was very successful but pushed my tolerance of being in a small boat to the limit!

I do have problems with sea-sickness, but did not feel ill for an entire week on a boat around Galapagos. The main secret was to use the scopolamin patches that last for about 3 days per patch during the entire time. (bring a couple of spare ones, because you might rub one off in the shower or while snorkeling). If you are a small person, then ½ patch at a time might be appropriate.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back