• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allbino review of 10x35E II (1 Viewer)

Brock,
Your quotation at the bottom just slays me.

But Dennis is overestimating you. You are really only stout peasant stock, budweiser work shirt salt o the earth, but woefully damned with good eyes, and will never break the $1000 mark unless the economy picks up to where inflation is like a major issue.

Birds, Ha! One more little thing to look at.
Maxmillio Magnifico Roofo

Last edited:
People criticize them because the binocular they have is not ranked high so they try to shoot holes in them to make them look bad when really what it is is they have an EII or an SE and they can't afford an FL so they they make themselves feel better by criticizing the review.
Good grief, that's quite an elaborate theory. How about a simpler one: some people criticise a fallacy in a review.
If someone likes a $200 better than a $2000 bin they are deluding themselves I don't care what you say.
Different people value different aspects of things differently. So if I'm, let's say, extremely appreciating of a large AFOV then nothing on the market touches the EII. If I'm into using binoculars from a car then nothing touches the Fujinon TS (I own both.)

Brock's Excellent Adventure

Brock,
Your quotation at the bottom just slays me.

But Dennis is overestimating you. You are really only stout peasant stock, budweiser work shirt salt o the earth, but woefully damned with good eyes, and will never break the $1000 mark unless the economy picks up to where inflation is like a major issue.

Birds, Ha! One more little thing to look at.
Maxmillio Magnifico Roofo

It's an original parody © 2011 Brock 'n' Roll Productions Ltd.

In your description, you forgot the green John Deere hat and the circle carved into my behind from sitting on Skoal cans for the past 20 years. -:)

Even if money were no object, I'd still prefer porros to roofs.

I will try some alpha and the second tier roofs when I have the opportunity, but even when happy days are here again, I don't think the roofs would give me enough advantages over my Nikon porros to warrant spending $700-$1,700 more on them. I'd rather put the money into a good scope and camera.

If I already had this set up, I could have taken a photo of the yet-to-be-identified species for my No-Life List I saw today near the hatchery in Fisherman's Paradise and also the two bald eagles and their humungous nest.

I found the birding spot on the local bird club's Webpage. It was only about 20 minutes away.

I was hoping to see a new species, and I didn't have wait long. About 200 ft. past the gate to the fishery I spotted a mostly bluish-grey colored bird with some black and white markings flying above the fish stalls. At first, I thought it was a Blue Jay, but then it landed on one of the lamp posts and I got a better look.

It had a very high crest, bluish-gray back, a long, narrow bill similar to an ivory-billed creeper, a white spot in front of its eye, and an upside down "V" shaped marking on its breast that looked like an inverted Mazda logo. Its call sounded like a woodpecker, but I can't find any woodpeckers in PA that look like it.

I tried to move closer and it took off, but returned shortly. I was thinking that it was as curious about me as I was about it, but what I didn't know is that a fishery worker had put out some dead fish for the eagle couple. The mystery bird might have had his eye on the fish too.

I was sitting on a small bench to get a steadier view of the mystery bird with the 10x42 SE (I also had the 8x30 EII with me) when Mike the Fishery Guy came up to me and asked me what I was looking at. I told him I think its some kind of woodpecker, but I wasn't sure.

He said, "Well, you're missing the Big Show". He pointed to two eagles perched on top of a white pine on top of the hill and the nest nearby. This is their second year at the location. They kicked out the first brood and have new nestlings.

He said the bigger one was the female. They sat majestically on the tree overlooking the fishery as the sun started sinking low in the sky (even though officially it was only 3 p.m. - 4 p.m. yesterday during Daylight Savings Time).

They were looking in the direction of the sun. The strong side lighting reminded me of the scene in "City of Angles" were the angles gather at the beach to watch the sun rise.

I watched them for about 15 minutes while I squirmed in various positions trying to get a steady view through the 10x SE, which I finally got by lying on the ground with my head propped up against the nearby shed.

Not long after, the female took off and flew overhead. I wished I had the 8x in my hands, because it was hard to follow the bird overhead with the 10x SE.

It was probably going for the fish and changed its mind when it spotted me and opted for a flyby.

I was watching the male sit near the nest alone like Horton when Mike came over again and asked what I was looking at?

I told him the male eagle, and he said the female was right over there in the white pine close to the hatchery. I looked through the SE and got my most detailed view of an eagle in the wild.

Earlier Mike told me that the female was banded. I could finally see the green bands on her talons.

Mike said the hatchery was closing in 20 minutes. So I watched the eagles for 10 more minutes and then positioned myself by the gate to watch her swoop down on the fish, but a couple with three dogs came along and then doubled back outside the fence, so she stayed in the tree. I was getting hungry too, so I waved goodbye and walked back to the car parked on the other side of the stream.

Spring Creek is still "catch and release" in this area even though the ban on taking fish out of the stream was lifted two years ago. A local chemical company leaked two different chemicals in the stream 30 years ago, and it took that long for levels to come down to the point where the Game Commission lifted the ban (except at Fisherman's Paradise).

Mike said they hatched and released 650,000 fish from the fishery this year! I took a self-guided tour of the hatchery where tiny fish are in tanks. There are also three "lava lamps" in back where eggs continuously flow up and down water-filled tubes to keep them from getting fungus. About a third of the eggs were white, meaning they were never fertilized or "went bad," according to Mike.

The fishery is open to the public year round so I'll be back on the next nice weekend we have to see the eagles. Next time, I'll take my 10x35 EII with me for steadier views.

I can hold the 10x SE fairly steady above 45* for stargazing, but holding it straight out or at shallow angle is tougher. I found the same thing with the 12x50 SE. The 10x EII is just the opposite, steadier for terrestrial viewing, shakier for stargazing.

I want to get there earlier next time. Mike said the eagles come down (I assume one at a time) near the fish stalls in the morning. I'd also like to buy a spotting scope next year so I can see the third brood of chicks in the nest.

Brock

Last edited:
You got yourself a Belted Kingfisher, Brock. I think it's time for a field guide, yes?

Ivory-billed Woodcreeper??? I had to look that one up--native of Central America.

Mark

You got yourself a Belted Kingfisher, Brock. I think it's time for a field guide, yes?

Ivory-billed Woodcreeper??? I had to look that one up--native of Central America.

Mark

That's it! Thanks. The one I saw didn't have a second brown band, only the black Mazda symbol, but it was otherwise identical.

Apropos that a "Kingfisher" would be hanging around a fishery. I wonder if he uses that long, narrow bill like a spear?

The ivory-billed creeper's photo on the woodpecker Website was from Mexico. I knew it couldn't be that species, different color and shape, no high crest, but it was the only woodpecker on the site that had a "similar" bill, which is why I wrote "similar" so you wouldn't write, "Hey, Brock, you're 2,500 miles away... "

In comparing the color of the Kingfisher's crest and back in the 8x EII and the 10x SE, the bluish-grey looked like flat grey auto body primer in the 8x EII whereas in the 10x SE, the color looked more bluish.

That's probably related to the light curves discussed earlier where the EII has a dip in the blue range vs. the flatter curve of the SE. OTOH, the yellow beaks on the eagles were more striking in the EII.

Now I can add the Belted Kingfisher to my No-Life List along with the Golden-crowned Sparrow I saw last year in Wisconsin when O'Hare Airport was snowed in, and we had to "ditch" at Middleton Municipal - Morey Field Airport.

Brock

Last edited:
Hi Brock,
Not only a field guide, but if you have to lie down to hold your 10 x 42 SE steady you need one of these too.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/accessories/tripod_adapters/SE_Series/7806

Put it on your Stoney Point.

Bob

Bob,

I have a Bogen/Giotto Monopod Combo with a Bogen 234 Tilt Swivel Head that I originally bought for stargazing. After hurting my neck looking for DSOs near the zenith "as shown" on bigbinoculars.com Website , I no longer use it at night. Plus, the 10x SE is easier to hold than the 12x for stargazing.

The Bogen swivel head is a bit overkill for birding but it helps keep you farther back from the monopod so your body doesn't impart vibrations, and it's also easier on the neck for terrestrial use than a fixed head mount since you don't have to crane your neck as much.

I meant to put the adapter/head/monopod set up in the car yesterday with a folding lawn chair, but after having to do some "chores" in the morning (Elsie needed milking), I got behind schedule and just ran out with the bins.

Even when I do remember to take the monopod, I rarely use it long because I get tired of having to keep changing the height of the monopod and eventually just go handheld. However, in a situation where I'm looking at birds perched in the same spot for a long time, it would work well.

On my next trip to Kingfisher's Paradise, the monopod and lawn chair are coming with me.

Brock

"In comparing the color of the Kingfisher's crest and back in the 8x EII and the 10x SE, the bluish-grey looked like flat grey auto body primer in the 8x EII whereas in the 10x SE, the color looked more bluish."

Brock, So the SE showed a more natural color if I understand your post.

Guys..........I own nikon 8 E11 and zeiss 7x42fl. If you really want to test the optics try seawatching with both for for 4 or 5 hours. Nikons arn't really in the game as lovely as they are. kindest regards

Guys..........I own nikon 8 E11 and zeiss 7x42fl. If you really want to test the optics try seawatching with both for for 4 or 5 hours. Nikons arn't really in the game as lovely as they are. kindest regards

Yes, but you are comparing a 7x42 with a 8x30 - horses for courses. I would prefer a 7x42 for that type of use and over length of time.

Just curious about why "seawatching" in particular is better suited to the FL's. I often compare my 8x binos (8x30E11,8x32SE,8x42 Geovid,and 8x42FL) and optically the little porros are the full equal of the roofs. Maybe it's that you prefer the larger exit pupil....or the waterproofness of the FL...?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back