• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allbinos review of the Nikon SE 12x50 (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
As part of their last series of reviews on 12x50 binoculars, Allbinos has just released the review of the venerated SE 12x50. A bit of an exercise in nostalgia given that finding a 12x50 SE in 2023 can be pretty difficult to say the least, but a great an enjoyable read nonetheless.

I'm a big fan of the SE series, but (having had the 8x32 and 10x42) I've never seen a 12x50, let alone try it, so to me the 12x50 has a bit of a "legendary creature" status.

The Nikon SE 12x50 scored almost as high as the Leica Ultravid HD 12x50 at less than 1/2 the price. Just a good example of how porros are a better value than roofs. I have the Nikon SE 8x32 and outside of FOV it will match any of the alpha roofs made today and beat them in the 3D view they give you.

I have the UV HD 12X50 and the SE 12X50. Both excellent glass, with the SE having more ER but a smaller FOV. The UV is easier to use as an all around glass for day and night time viewing. Both are exceptional on the night sky.

I read that review also. Yes, I looked and they are very hard to find used. Oberwerk has used the SE as inspiration for their SE porro series and reviews are very strong. Under $300 as well.

Speaking as one reviewer looking at another reviewers site, I always like to see a unique photo / video
either on location or in the hands to show the tester has actually had them in their hands for testing.

I know BBR , Neil English and yours truly do, unless its a preview.

Oberwerk has used the SE as inspiration for their SE porro series

The Oberwerk (heh) "SE" models have nothing in common optically with Nikon's SEs, beyond both being porros. This doesn't mean the "SEs" are not good binocular in their own right, but they'll have a different optical design. It'd have been pretty interesting if the Chinese manufacturer had in fact copied the SE's optical train.

The Oberwerk (heh) "SE" models have nothing in common optically with Nikon's SEs, beyond both being porros. This doesn't mean the "SEs" are not good binocular in their own right, but they'll have a different optical design. It'd have been pretty interesting if the Chinese manufacturer had in fact copied the SE's optical train.
Funny thing and quite annoying to me being that theyre MIC, is that they are brighter, just as sharp and have less CA than the Nikons. At least in the 8x32 and 10x42’s I’ve had the pleasure of trying. Don’t get me wrong, I’d choose the Nikons any day over the Oberwerks even if I was still buying MIC goods. But I certainly would’ve had the 32 and the 42 as Knockaround‘s.

If you think about it, there ought to have been advances in certain areas in the what... ten years or more since the SEs were "archived" - coatings for sure, and maybe optical design as well. The PRC manufacturers are certainly capable of building good binoculars even if most of what they produce is built (by instructions from rebranders) down to a price - APM seems to be well thought of, and Holger M.'s writeup of one of the 8x30 binoculars he tried (Ares?) was very positive. They ought to take the gloves off and really go for it - produce something as good as they can, and find someone with the marketing nous of a Bushnell or Swift to promote them.

I certainly wouldn't mind having a look through the "SEs".

just checked my files to see when i bought my 12X50 SE's.....10/2002 i paid $849 to Eagle Optics. that translates to $1430 in today's dollars. i don't use mine often as my hands are shaky. i have the adapter to use with Oberwerk tripod and that is the only way i can enjoy the superior [pun intended] view. they cannot match the sharpness of 15X70 Oberwerk Deluxe, at very long distances, but that's comparing apples and coconuts. in my small collection of binocs, they wear the crown.

Superb astronomy binocular but I have to stop them down to get a 3mm exit pupil.
The full 4.2mm exit pupil gives me spiked stars due to astigmatism of eyes.

Superb astronomy binocular but I have to stop them down to get a 3mm exit pupil.
The full 4.2mm exit pupil gives me spiked stars due to astigmatism of eyes.
Yes it is a very nice glass for the night sky, enjoy. Can you get the astigmatism repaired through surgery?

Yes it is a very nice glass for the night sky, enjoy. Can you get the astigmatism repaired through surgery?
To be honest I don't want to risk that and I hate observing with glasses on.
I have very high light pollution so I mainly stick to bright objects so a smaller exit pupil is no real loss.

Hello, I found a second hand pair of 12x50 SE last year and I am very happy with them. They are great for glare/flare control, colour rendition, resolution and 3D (three dimension is very important for me); the only negative is they are not water proof.

I have compared them side by side with a Leica Noctivid 10x42 and a Zeiss 15x60 GAT (each one mounted on a tripod). Daytime the colour rendition of the Leica and Nikon are excellent, the older Zeiss shows a slight yellowish tint which is noticeable when looking at the clouds. Night time I can see more stars with the Nikon SE than the Noctivid, and the same number as the Zeiss. I know the Nikon and the other binoculars have different apertures and magnification, but comparing them at night gives me an overall indication of the optics quality (i.e. pinpoint stars, colours, ghosting, etc). By the way I think very high of the Noctivid because I compared it against a Swarovski Habicht 10x40 (made in 2020) I used to have, and centre-field I saw consistently more starts with the Noctivid than the Habicht. For me the Nikon 12x50 SE are excellent binoculars for day and night time.

I have uploaded three videos of the Nikon 12x50 SE on Youtube. I only used a camera phone to record so the view is better in real life (this is more noticeable in the video at twilight). I hope you find them interesting.

Nikon 12x50 SE general view

YouTube

Nikon 12x50 SE looking at Cotopaxi

YouTube

Nikon 12x50 SE at twilight

YouTube

Hi,

since one shows the Cotopaxi, the second highest mountain of Ecuador, I would reckon that the other videos are also from there...

Joachim, who still has fond memories of the 3 weeks there maybe 7 or 8 years ago...

Last edited:
I have had 12x50SE. Excellent binoculars. Very sharp to at least 95%(maybe more) of the field with very uniform sweet spot. Very free from glare.
The reason I sold it was that the eye relief did not meet my requirement.
It's a pity Nikon discontinued SE-series instead of improving it.

Hi Dries, Jring
Yes all three videos were taken in Ecuador as you Jring guessed. The location is close to ilaló Volcano, about 20mins drive from Quito, the capital.
Cotopaxi is about 43km from where I was (measured as the crow flies in Google Maps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back