• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Couple for Comment (1 Viewer)

Richard G

I've mentioned in a couple of threads that it's my intention this year to go back to basics & learn how to use my camera & lens properly & try & get the best out of some limited kit.

So, here're my first 2 efforts so far. A couple of Waxwing shots taken yesterday lunchtime. The shots are untouched aprt from resizing for the forum.

I realise they're probably not at the best angle, that's one criticism I have of them. Any other comments most welcome.

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_6154.jpg
    IMG_6154.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6162.jpg
    IMG_6162.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 121
The first thing that you need to consider when taking photos of birds against a bright sky is that you need to adjust the exposure value (EV). The meter in the camera will try to expose for the sky and the bird, which is shaded, will be underexposed. By giving the EV an adjustment of +.3, it would brighten the bird slightly. It will, of course, brighten the sky as well so you need to experiment to get a good balance.

Hope that helps.

There are some twigs between your camera and the bird - this is not good. If the second shot was taken without a tripod, an exposure of 1/200 at 400 mm it isn't good too. Use a larger aperture (f6.3, for example) and try to get something around 1/600. By the way, using a positiv compensation (as suggested above) will increase a little bit more the exposure time...

Last edited:
You generally want to get as close as possible to the subject bird, but you also want a pleasing angle, and ideally eye contact with the bird (as you've already noted).

In both of these, it looks like you were very close, but so far under the bird that the angle made it impossible to "show off" the bird's head/eye/face.

here's an example of a cedar waxwing (this flock showed up just twice, over the fence behind our backyard):

Attachments

• p651321855-4.jpg
    p651321855-4.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back