• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm Confused (1 Viewer)

George Garner

Hi All,
For a couple of seasons now I have been having a lone Song Thrush in the garden, all last spring and summer he sang his heart out, I thought to no avail.
Then the other morning there were two feeding on the grass, this morning when I looked out there were three. Last years young still about? another suitor trying to get in on the act? I really don't know, but the signs are good for this breeding season.
George

Hi All,
For a couple of seasons now I have been having a lone Song Thrush in the garden, all last spring and summer he sang his heart out, I thought to no avail.
Then the other morning there were two feeding on the grass, this morning when I looked out there were three. Last years young still about? another suitor trying to get in on the act? I really don't know, but the signs are good for this breeding season.
George

Hi George

I hope you are right!
We don't get many around here although I did see
two in the garden earlier this week, they were
quickly chased off by the resident Blackbirds!

Also there are a lot of cats in the area and they
cause devastation among with the fledglings! :-C

Cheers

Fingers crossed for you George Last year i had a the same sort of thing happen with a lone Chafinch. They are a rare visitor in my garden. through the spring and summer a lone male called and called forlornly. This year i have two males and two females coming to the ground feeds. Unfortunatly i wont be here to find out what happens as im moving on soon. I will just have to keep fingers crossed for yours and mine. I will look forward to hearing if your thrush teams up with another tho....Fingers crossed.

Enjoy them while you can George. I've seen one in my garden in 21 years. Please keep us updated.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi George,

I'd suspect that they must be a pair, it's a bit more likely that 2 males.

I get one every now and then, comes for scone crumbs. Then last year in the breeding season I had one coming and gathering food and taking it away. It was fingers crossed time and to my delight (and surprise) an adult did turn up with a juv in tow. I've had the odd well-grown juv before but that was the first really young one with parent. Now I'm waiting to see if it happens again this year.

Bill

Hi George,
That sounds exciting & promising, I was just about to post a similar thread to yours about Blackcaps.
Fingers crossed for you George

I've got the one lone one again this winter and have never seen more than that. He certainly likes the hot cross buns that I'm putting out at the moment, he's there with the blackies as soon as I get out there in the morning. My blackies seem to tolerate him, but it doesn't take much for him to fly off.

Let's hope that we all get young song thrushes this spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back