• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (61 Viewers)

Pic1 and pic 2 - juvenile med gull on the Flashes early pm.
Pic 2 has a comparison with a juvenile black headed gull.
Pic 3 and 4 juvenile med gull on Moors later pm.

Flashes pics have had confirmed. Moors pics matches a similar one from my 'Helm' book. One of my biggest problems is sorting meds from bhg juvs at a distance in sometimes awkward light. I have a very clear close up of each type from a different site which made the ident easy. Plus I had those confirmed. Wouldn't any fun if it were easy I suppose.o:D

Phil E

Hi, Phil, the latter two images show an immature LBBG, your first two though are stonking, check out that Med! Nice one :t:
MB

Growing birds

It was mainly the usual suspects apart from a Little Egret at the Moors and hordes of Lapwing at the Flashes but it was too hot to do a count so here are some impressionistic progress reports on young birds.

Moors: 6 cygnets moving serenely, one Oystercatcher juvenile on its own and rather somnolent at the seasonal pool, 2 tern chicks on the new raft fairly active despite infrequent feeds, at least 3 broods of Tufted Ducks in the open water (one very young brood of about 8-9) that hid from Phil yesterday, and probably 2 families of Reed Warblers being fed in the Hook.

Flashes: a Blackcap family in the trees by the steps, one youngish brood of Mallard, 3 families of Avocets and 3 juvenile shelducks on the 2nd Flash, and on the 3rd Flash a juvenile Oystercatcher being well fed: it couldn't be seen because of the reeds but the parents were constantly bringing in food every couple of minutes as if they were part of the Berlin airlift.

Peter

Ps. Also at the Moors 3 GCG chicks were riding on a parent's back.

Last edited:
Nice to see the latest Trust magazine giving UW a bit of coverage by highlighting continued sterling work by the volunteers. There's some dodgy looking geezers in the accompanying pic though.;):t:

update from Flashes

Started at 6am. Water dropping rapidly now at 0.40.
Med gull juv. Common gull 2nd sum. Teal 14. Shoveler 6. Shelduck 7. Tufted + 4 chicks 3rd flash.
Avocet 9 ads, 2 juvs ( not sure where the 3rd is). 9 chicks. Dunlin 2. Snipe 4. Green sand 14 (min). Common sand 3. LRP 2 (1AD+ 1JUV). Oyc 2ads + chick.
Raven 3. Rook 8. Again lots of reed warnlers a.d several chiffs.

Today at the reserve

Started at the Flashes 6am till 10am ( and revisited 3pm till 4.50pm). A cool start with a westerly breeze, but things warmed up rapidly, at which point I turned to 'hedge watch'. This is the hedge that runs along the back of the hide to the public footpath - the 'west hedge'. Along here today I saw, - lesser whitethroats, whitethroats, a reed warbler, chiffchaffs and regular garden birds as well as linnets and many goldfinches. On the Lagoons there was a small influx of waders, but no new species. The whole family of shoveler including the female were on the 3rd Flash, but later some had returned to the Moors. One of the juveniles from the last brood of avocets to fledge was missing its two siblings and mother were still together.
Early on this morning I heard a brief snatch of what I am sure was a begging cuckoo and accompanying reed warbler 'chacking', ironically close to the 'cuckoo ' hide. I heard it calling from the pool side of the hedge just past the cuckoo hide. Its call intensified (presumably just as it was about to be fed), as I approached the it, a cuckoo sized bird crashed through the branches. The begging call then resumed, from the blackthorn next to the feeding station. link to cuckoo begging call
http://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query=common+cuckoo
Species count FLASHES
Little grebe, teal 17, shelduck 7 (6 juvs), shoveler 11, mallard 100 +, tufted fem + 4 chicks c10 days old on 3rd Flash.
Avocet 9 ads + 2 juvs + 9 chicks, dunlin 2, LRP 3 (ad + 2 juvs), snipe 4, green sand 14, common sand 3, lapwing 170+ , curlew 5, Oystercatcher pr + chick,
Med Gull (juv - same as Sunday), common gull 2nd summer, BHG 220, green woodp 2, raven 3, rook 30+, jay, stock dove 40+, swallow 2, sand martin 2, reed warbler 10, sedge warbler, lesser whitethroat 3, whitethroat 2, blackcap, chiffchaff 6, linnet 6, goldfinch 45,

Sailing Pool . GCG ad + 2 juvs

Last edited:
At the Moors.
I discovered a bit more breeding activity, while checking out the little grebes. Not only were all 3 chicks on the east side ok, but another brood with at least 1 smaller chick was in the south west marsh. The 2 GCG were still on the females back and there at least 2 more fresh tufted broods. Giving us at least 15 broods.
But the best find was another Cetti's brood. The juv(s) skulked in dense vegetation constantly calling, but it took 30 minutes to find it, even though it was just a few feet away from me. The bird's tail was shorter than that of a wren and a broad white gape, indicating that this bird had not long left its nest. A female called close by and was presumably feeding the juv. The Avocet mystery at the Flashes was solved. The missing juvenile was happily feeding in the pool islands pond. A hobby dashed over the A38 into the Education reserve persued by hirundines.
Species count MOORS
GCG 3 + 2 ch, Little grebe 8 ads 7 juvs + 3 chick + 1 chick, Little egret cormorant 2, greylag 15+, shoveler 5, teal, shelduck 3 juvs (from Flashes), tufted 15 broods and c40 ads, Hobby, buzzard 2, Avocet juv, lapwing 35, Oystercatcher ad + juv, common tern 7/8 ads 1 juv + 2 chicks, herring gull, green woodp, great spotted woodp, kingfisher, jay, raven 2, cettis w fem and juv, reed w several, blackcap 2,

Started at the Flashes 6am till 10am ( and revisited 3pm till 4.50pm). A cool start with a westerly breeze, but things warmed up rapidly, at which point I turned to 'hedge watch'. This is the hedge that runs along the back of the hide to the public footpath - the 'west hedge'. Along here today I saw, - lesser whitethroats, whitethroats, a reed warbler, chiffchaffs and regular garden birds as well as linnets and many goldfinches. On the Lagoons there was a small influx of waders, but no new species. The whole family of shoveler including the female were on the 3rd Flash, but later some had returned to the Moors. One of the juveniles from the last brood of avocets to fledge was missing its two siblings and mother were still together.
Early on this morning I heard a brief snatch of what I am sure was a begging cuckoo and accompanying reed warbler 'chacking', ironically close to the 'cuckoo ' hide. I heard it calling from the pool side of the hedge just past the cuckoo hide. Its call intensified (presumably just as it was about to be fed), as I approached the it, a cuckoo sized bird crashed through the branches. The begging call then resumed, from the blackthorn next to the feeding station. link to cuckoo begging call
http://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query=common+cuckoo
Species count FLASHES
Little grebe, teal 17, shelduck 7 (6 juvs), shoveler 11, mallard 100 +, tufted fem + 4 chicks c10 days old on 3rd Flash.
Avocet 9 ads + 2 juvs + 9 chicks, dunlin 2, LRP 3 (ad + 2 juvs), snipe 4, green sand 14, common sand 3, lapwing 170+ , curlew 5, Oystercatcher pr + chick,
Med Gull (juv - same as Sunday), common gull 2nd summer, BHG 220, green woodp 2, raven 3, rook 30+, jay, stock dove 40+, swallow 2, sand martin 2, reed warbler 10, sedge warbler, lesser whitethroat 3, whitethroat 2, blackcap, chiffchaff 6, linnet 6, goldfinch 45,

Sailing Pool . GCG ad + 2 juvs

Hi John

Just saw your post above re the begging Cuckoo,

here's a recording I made of the young Cuckoo exactly a year ago tomorrow! :t:

https://soundcloud.com/gert-corfield/2-garden-warbler-mobing-a

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Dunlin (1)-------------------Green Sand (14)
Common Sand (3)-----------LRP (Ad + 2 juvs)
Curlew (18)-----------------Oystercatcher (2) +juv
Snipe (7)-------------------Avocet (18) inc 2 juvs + 9 chicks
Teal (8)--------------------Shoveler (1)
Shelduck (7) inc 5 juvs------Tufted Duck + 4 chicks
Common Tern (4)------------Little Grebe
B H Gull (c250)--------------Med Gull (juv)
Whitethroat (juv)

MOORS:
Little Egret (2), possibly three. Vern saw an Egret with rings on which disappeared. He is looking at images of it.
G C Grebe (2) +2 chicks + juv----Little Grebe (4). Eight reported.
Kingfisher-----------------------Cormorant(5)
Shoveler (10 juvs)---------------Common Tern (9) inc 2 chicks
Tufted Duck 7:4:3 broods--------Sparrowhawk
Oystercatcher (1ad)-------------Whitethroat (2 juvs)
Cettis Warbler ( juvs heard calling)

SAILING POOL:
Kingfisher-----------------------G C Grebe (2) + 3 juvs.

Des.

No sign of the juv Oyk at the Moors Pool Des?

A ringed Little Egret would very interesting to trace, can't recall hearing of any such birds reported locally.

sorry Des cant see the Little beggers rings hope Kim will get more look with his pics

ps John I have Kims money for you remind me its in the car kid oh and flight shot of Egret below

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:

Snipe (7)-------------------Avocet (18) inc 2 juvs + 9 chicks
Des.

Hi Des
An influx of these two species.
Yesterday I had 11 ad/juvs AVOCET, so 7 from somewhere. Maybe birds from NE of upton passing through to the SW?
I wonder if the missing juv that was on the Moors has left, alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back