• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D90 and spacemaster II digiscoping problem (1 Viewer)

drknees

Hello all, great forum....as an ancient digiscoper using a spacemaster II (Bushnell) telescope with a Yashica camera with adapter and t-mount 20 yrs ago I eventually gave it up as a bad job and hundreds of films wasted.....

However recently i invested in the D90 with sigma 150-500 lens and am having fun stalking and photographing and watching birds again....however I decided to resurrect my adapter for the aforementioned spacemaster which is still going strong and got an adapter for the D90.....attached them all and went to take photos (manual settings).....picture coming thro to live view etc but when I press the shutter I get a black photo with nothing.....the camera is showing a[perture as F _ _ and will not change.....

Again only learning the ropes with D90 and maybe the scope is not compatible... the adapter attaches over the scopes 20x eyepiece lens and then t-mounts to camera body.....

Anybody got any suggestions....hopefully I am just doing something wrong....or maybe this is the wrong way to go about digiscoping.....

Looking forward to a bit of advice...

Cheers,

DrKnees

Aperture will always be unknown to the D90 in this scenario. The only control of exposure is with ISO and Shutter speed. If the pic is all black it is because the shutter speed is too fast. If it is all white, then it is too slow.

cheers,
Rick

Hello all, great forum....as an ancient digiscoper using a spacemaster II (Bushnell) telescope with a Yashica camera with adapter and t-mount 20 yrs ago I eventually gave it up as a bad job and hundreds of films wasted.....

However recently i invested in the D90 with sigma 150-500 lens and am having fun stalking and photographing and watching birds again....however I decided to resurrect my adapter for the aforementioned spacemaster which is still going strong and got an adapter for the D90.....attached them all and went to take photos (manual settings).....picture coming thro to live view etc but when I press the shutter I get a black photo with nothing.....the camera is showing a[perture as F _ _ and will not change.....

Again only learning the ropes with D90 and maybe the scope is not compatible... the adapter attaches over the scopes 20x eyepiece lens and then t-mounts to camera body.....

Anybody got any suggestions....hopefully I am just doing something wrong....or maybe this is the wrong way to go about digiscoping.....

Looking forward to a bit of advice...

Cheers,

DrKnees

Following Ricks suggestion, set iso 800 and keep reducing the shutter speed until you have an image. Neil.

Following Ricks suggestion, set iso 800 and keep reducing the shutter speed until you have an image. Neil.

Thanks lads for the promt reply and advice.....will have a go tomorrow weather permitting....will keep you posted on my progress...

Knees

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back