• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back to the Reserve (1 Viewer)

pie

Hi All,
Following my encounter with a stranger, I decided not to let the incident deter me from going to the Reserve.
In a way I think it did me a favour because on reflection he was more of a chancer than dangerous, but it was enough to make me more aware of the risks.
So, this time with phone in pocket, my wits about me & walking boots on (so I can kick him in the "nethers" & run like the wind,) I set off.
(Oh, just for the record, did'nt dare tell my huuby & sons about the encounter, not that any of them are macho men, but, well, you know what I mean)

I went straight to the hide, no sign of the Kingfisher but the Heron came quite close.
Walking back through the woodland I saw;
Butterflies
Wall
Comma
Small White
Speckled Wood

Southern Hawker (male mature I think)
& 2 Darters I need to ID
Saw several Dragonflies at the pond but to fast to take pics.

I sat in a bench & put food on the gatepost & was visited by
Bluetits
Great tits
Robins.

The sociable Robin seemed to hop alongside me throughout my walk, & a Song Thrush popped out to say hello.
I really enjoyed the day, So glad I went.
Aww, no room for my friend the Robin!! (will show again)

Bye All

Attachments

• DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0098.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0084.JPG
    DSC_0084.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
A lovely report of your visit to the reserve Pie and such great pictures. That Heron photo is amazing, well done. In fact they all are :clap: .
Love to see the Robin pic though, perhaps you can sneak it on sometime :-O

You take care Pie when out and about, and keep those walking boots on! 3:)

Best Wishes

Pie - I am so glad you had a nice visit and didn't let the idiot put you off. Many years ago (21) I got approached by a flasher in the carpark of a Savacentre. I didn't notice anything until I went to return the trolley, which I did and then got in my car and drove home. It wasn't until I got home that I realised how frightened I had been, and it was a good three years before I would go back there alone.

Lovely pictures, and will look forward to a new post from you to show off the robin. Well done!

Hi Ladies,
Yes I echo Matts sentiments please do be careful ladies, the sad thing is that these incidents, make it all the more difficult for the rest of us to engage lone women in conversation. It really is a sad reflection on todays society, that a female cannot go out alone without feeling threatened. However it has made me realize that I shall have to be more careful how I approach women, so as not to make them feel threatened.
George

Hello Pie and everyone,
Well done Pie on being brave and facing your fears AND on those superb pics! :clap: I'm glad you had a good return to the nature reserve,maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and "go for it" WITH my boots on of course!!!
George I feel SO sorry for genuine blokes like you and to be honest had never really thought of it affecting you too.....as with most things it's always the minority who spoil things for the majority. :-C
Best wishes,

Hi Pie.
I'm so glad that you made it back to the reserve. I endorse all that has been said about your own safety, and that of all the ladies. I like to think that I'm a very amiable bloke who will speak to anyone, male or female, but as George remarked, it's not always easy, or advisable to engage a lone woman in conversation out in the wilds. I think all we men can do is look for signs of unease and depart the scene quickly. But as has been said, it's such a shame that everyone can't feel comfortable with each other.
Thanks for some lovely pictures.

All the best.
Baz.

Last edited:
Hi Pie Glad you had a good day, it takes guts to go back, but you were right to do so. Here in Liverpool we have a saying "Never let the b******s drive you down", but as some have aleady said do be careful, but dont give in.
Sounded a nice day hope the weather was as good as here very hot and back to summer. We saw a flock of 30 Great Crested Grebes at Marberry CP in Cheshire yesterday, never seen so many in one place.

Take Care Peter

Hi Pie

A nice thread. Glad your well into the insects too!

Sorry, I had not realised that you had problems with some pathetic speciemn (SP). I have to say that even as a bloke I feel uncomfortable in some areas. You never know who is out there, but it helps to remember the vast majority are decent people.

take care

Hi Pie,

Great photo of the Heron, nice to see it. With the others, I'm pleased that you felt able to keep up your birding, I guess it can be a bit daunting at times.

Apart from the boots (in our unarmed combat we were taught that it someone has you clasped in close you rake the side of your boot down the the shin and finish 'with a stamp to break the instep'; never got chance to try it out) you should carry a small hair-lacquer spray, I mean you never know when your hair might get blown about do you?

If I ever see a bird-watching Lady wearing boots and spraying her hair I'll come over (carefully) and introduce myself.

Bill

Hi Pie

Well done, you took a courageous step returning to the reserve and, judging by your report and pics, it was well worth it. I agree with Peter's Liverpool saying - why let some creep deny you the pleasures of nature.

Whenever I'm out and about my dog is always with me unless I'm on a reserve. I've always found male dog owners or birdwatchers to be friendly folk but hearing about your experience has tought me to be careful in future. Men like this are in the minority and get a bad name for all the decent chaps out there.

Well done Pie on not letting those bar stewards get to you!!! :clap: I myself have been approached a couple of times over the years and after the first time it DID put me off going out on my own for nearly a year :eek!: But my love and NEED for nature won through - I just couldn't be satisfied with 'just' watching wildlife on tv - I HAD to be out there in the fresh air experiencing the sights and sounds.
I'm still VERY wary of lone guys whenever I'm in a built up urban area ( unless they have a dog or bins around their neck LOL ) and DO keep a beady eye on them.......and I haven't been approached since. Though, to be honest, that MAY be because I'm giving them an evil 'Don't even THINK about coming near me buster!!!' look! :'D I'm probably scaring them to death LOL
Since I moved up to the Northumberland countryside though in August 2004 I've felt a LOT safer - not sure why? Less folks around perhaps? And I certainly feel safe when I'm in the hills......you don't really hear about perverts and losers climbing a steep hill on the offchance of meeting a defenceless female on her own ;)
Good advice aboutthe boots and hairspray Bill........can I just add that gouging eyes out with long nails is quite effective too! :cool:

You just take care Pie and keep taking those fabulous photos! :t:

Well done Pie on summoning up the resolve to keep going to YOUR special place. Along with all the other advice on how to keep yourself looking good whilst out and about, don't forget to take the walking stick with you for getting up those steep bits!!!! You may even want to remove the rubber bit at the bottom for those extra steep bits!!!

Great pics by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing your robin too. We've recently been visited by a young one and he's not quite done up in his red waistcoat yet! :clap: :clap: :bounce: :flyaway:

Cathy H said:
Well done Pie on summoning up the resolve to keep going to YOUR special place. Along with all the other advice on how to keep yourself looking good whilst out and about, don't forget to take the walking stick with you for getting up those steep bits!!!! You may even want to remove the rubber bit at the bottom for those extra steep bits!!!

Great pics by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing your robin too. We've recently been visited by a young one and he's not quite done up in his red waistcoat yet! :clap: :clap: :bounce: :flyaway:

Defenceless Cathy? just reading yours and Gill's posts scares the hell out of me LOL. Can't argue with your sentiments though.
George

If it wasn't illegal I'd suggest pepper spray. Though something like ralgex or radian b would work just as well.
Anyway glad you still can go out and about.

George Garner said:
Defenceless Cathy? just reading yours and Gill's posts scares the hell out of me LOL. Can't argue with your sentiments though.
George

LOL George :-O As long as you remember to wear your bins around your neck you'll be safe - oh and bearing gifts of cake and chocolate helps too! ;)

Good Evening All,
Thank you so much for your kind replies & support.
Its suprising how long these incidents can affect you. Like you Kits, I can remember a "flasher" from way back. I was about 12yrs old. The police came to the school to interview all the children & when asked to describe him I said "umm, he was either 5 or 6 foot tall sir" I had no idea at the time why my headmistress called me a "silly girl"!!
Mind you that was the first w***y I ever saw!!!

Ruth after reading Gill & Cathy's report I would say "take inspiration & go for it" but like everyone has said, we also need to be careful.
I think it's about attitude, like you say Gill, having that "steely look" helps, I think the warm weather helped to get me back quickly. I do wonder if the elements had been against me, would I have returned so soon and then end up dwelling on it??
I sure think the walking stick is a good idea Cathy, what with faulty goods these days, I bet the rubber end falls off!!!
Good idea about the hairspray Bill, & if I do see a man daring to approach when I'm in my boots armed with my scary look, broken walking stick & spraying my hair, there will be NO DOUBT it's going to be you!!LOL

Most impotantly I want to say to Matt, George, Baz, Peter & Brian,
there was no doubt in my mind that this man was a weirdo. I meet many men alone at the reserve & often glad to have a chat. In fact I'm always chuffed when a birder talks to me because most birders just want to be left alone & I respect that. When a real birder talks, I hang on to their every word so I can take advice. So please never stop talking to women out birding.
WE KNOW, when things are not right. Thank you so much for caring.

Did you manage to get a pic of the Great Creted Grebes Peter? I just looked them up in my book, wow! well done.

Here is my cute little bodyguard Pam, you can see how close he is to me,
Aww, bless! (did you get a pic of your baby Cathy? would love to see him)
Bye for now all

Attachments

• DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
Chris-Leeds said:
If it wasn't illegal I'd suggest pepper spray. Though something like ralgex or radian b would work just as well.
Anyway glad you still can go out and about.

I wish Chris!! or even that nice well known "herb" spray would do the trick!

Hi Pie,

No sorry I didn't manage to get a pic of my baby but I'll work on it!

Do you know, I've just been reading all the tips that have been offered, and if we were to use all of them, I think the psychatric wards may get full rather quickly - a defence of 'I was just out birding Gov.' wouldn't do very well!!!

I agree with Gill, chocs and cake are very acceptable, not to mention down right friendly!

I also agree with Pie, guys, you can often get a sense of something not quite right when you meet some folk, although I do accept that we need to take necessary precautions, but not be put off going out and about.

Lets all stick to the chos and cakes please, yum yum!!! (o)< :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back