• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extinct or Extant - you decide.... (2 Viewers)

Docmartin

Thought Police
For fun(?).... I know there's hundreds of these we could do, but....

three species of bird

1) Ivory-billed Woodpecker Campephilus principalis

2) Eskimo Curlew Numenius borealis

3) Slender-billed Curlew Numenius tenuirostris

Who wants to vote on which they think are extinct, and which survive?
IBW - alive or dead will suffice - there are other threads for that one!

For what it's worth, I think the balance of probabilities is
1) dead
2) dead
3) dead

I can't argue with the balance of probabilities you suggest... but if I had to pick one of the three as still surviving, then Slender-billed would get my vote (though my knowledge of Eskimo Curlew is admittedly pretty thin)

1) Alive (I don't think i really believe that - Just like the idea of it !).

2) Dead and buried.

3) Alive (Not quite ready to give up on that one yet).

You could add these

4) Bachman's Warbler Vermivora bachmanii
5) Imperial Woodpecker Campephilus imperialis

1) Extinct
2) Extinct maybe.
3) No Answer (Sorry, I am a parochial American)
4) Extinct
5) Extinct

I would like to think that Slender-billed Curlew is clinging on somewhere on those remote steppes, there must be vast areas that still remain unsearched......?

There is another seemingly 'lost' species that has gone unoticed within China, hasn't been recorded since 1989 (that I am aware of), Biet's Laughingthrush. This species must be struggling due to habitat loss. Same with Javan Lapwing, no sightings since 1930's (?) but reports by locals persist, personally, I think this could a goner too.

The ivory-bill is still here! You can't sway me. I looked at that blurry video evidence from Cornell, and I know pileateds, so I say 'EXTANT"
The eskimo curlew, not so sure, I don't know the bird that well, but I say never give up on "extinct birds", and keep an open mind.
I know the slender-billed curlew less than the eskimo, so I can't say.

The ivory-billed still LIVES!!

1. The reason I believe this is that there have been continued reports and sightings throughout the last 60 year period which have been simply ignored by most.

2. Those who claim that the bird is extinct cannot 'produce proof' of the bird's demise, so their claims remain unproven to this day.

3. The IBWO dwells within very deep, dense, swamps which are extremely difficult to search, therefore it has remained 'hidden from view' for the most part since 1944.

These are not the only reasons that I believe the IBWO still extists, but it is a good start.

TimeShadowed

timeshadowed said:
The ivory-billed still LIVES!!

1. The reason I believe this is that there have been continued reports and sightings throughout the last 60 year period which have been simply ignored by most.

2. Those who claim that the bird is extinct cannot 'produce proof' of the bird's demise, so their claims remain unproven to this day.

3. The IBWO dwells within very deep, dense, swamps which are extremely difficult to search, therefore it has remained 'hidden from view' for the most part since 1944.

These are not the only reasons that I believe the IBWO still extists, but it is a good start.

TimeShadowed

Cannot all of the above be applied to numerous other creatures? Thylacine and suchlike.

Ben

Docmartin said:
Who wants to vote on which they think are extinct, and which survive?

Americans vote every four years whether many species will be extinct or survive. By voting for pro- or anti-environmental government, you decide.

It is completely serious - governments and voters decide fate of birds.

I'm worried about such voting, because public debate on ivorybill is apparently used by developers lobby. Extinction of birds should be left for scientists. Otherwise industrial lobby will vote in few months that all endangered species are figment of imagination.

Doubtless, there are people who want to vote if ivorybill exists or evolution exists. I hope they should first vote if gravity works or electricity in socket is harmful. With predictable results.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back