• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 OS... (1 Viewer)

Oh well, hope Sigma has some good lawyers, I can't afford the Canon stuff.........

From samples on other forums it's looking like a pretty good lens at least, hope it is on the shelves a while longer........

Just curious, but does the OS work when this large lens is tripod-mounted? And if it does, is it both modes or the panning-only Mode 2? I have not been able to come across anything on this on the net on this particular lens's version of OS.

Users of other Sigma lenses with OS (e.g. the 150-500 and 50-500) generally switch off their OS when mounting the said lenses on tripods. Is this lens also subject to the same limitation (c/f Canon's IS on its big white primes that has tripod detection)?

Keith has also drawn a blank on this and has informed me on another thread. I know I'm repeating this (very sorry to do so, Keith), but perhaps micloi and davidmelville can enlighten me on this as you have tried out the lens personally.

Thanks!

Just curious, but does the OS work when this large lens is tripod-mounted? And if it does, is it both modes or the panning-only Mode 2? I have not been able to come across anything on this on the net on this particular lens's version of OS.

Users of other Sigma lenses with OS (e.g. the 150-500 and 50-500) generally switch off their OS when mounting the said lenses on tripods. Is this lens also subject to the same limitation (c/f Canon's IS on its big white primes that has tripod detection)?

Keith has also drawn a blank on this and has informed me on another thread. I know I'm repeating this (very sorry to do so, Keith), but perhaps micloi and davidmelville can enlighten me on this as you have tried out the lens personally.

Thanks!

I rang Sigma Imaging this morning and had a little discussion regarding OS and was informed that OS should be turned off when mounted on a tripod.

Thanks Andrew. Makes me scratch my head a bit more on this lens. It would be rather difficult for some people to hand-hold a lens + TC + camera combo weighing over 3kg, but one loses OS when one mounts it on a tripod.

IMHO, Sigma must do more about its OS operations, not least when it has Nikon all out for its blood! I wonder how that lawsuit is taking shape, being a lawyer myself ;)

In light of this, would the Sigma 300mm F2.8 prime give equally good results? Or how would the 120-300 compare with Canon's older non-IS 300 2.8?

Again, I ask with reservations as I do not mean (and do not want to be taken as meaning) that a zoom is better than a prime or vice versa. It is just that I can get mint used copies of the above for less. Without the OS being usable on a tripod, the 120-300 may be not so useful for me as I don't think I can handhold the 3kg+ lens at all!

Thanks guys! :t:

Hor Kee

Hor Kee

I have used the old sigma 300 prime linked to a 2X converter quite a bit recently. I have rested my lens on my camera bag or used a tripod. The lack of IS/Os does not bother me. I only want stabilisation for hand held shots. I think there are a number of Canon shooters with long primes who leave IS on II when resting on a tripod but there does seem to me to be some confusion as to whether IS turns off automatically ...if that is the case I see no point in setting the IS on anything. As I said 'doctors differ patients die'. Being a lawyer you probably know how varied opinion can be even on fundamental issues.

The attached shot of a rabbit was taken with me balancing the lens on a barbed wire against a post...on this occasion I used a Sigma 2X converter f 5.6, 1/200 sec ISO 800, 20D camera.

Attachments

• Birdfair 21st August 2011 181 copy.jpg
    Birdfair 21st August 2011 181 copy.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 397
I think there are a number of Canon shooters with long primes who leave IS on II when resting on a tripod but there does seem to me to be some confusion as to whether IS turns off automatically ...
According to everything I have read Adrian, The tripod sensing IS lenses do not turn off but go into a special tripod mode which makes it beneficial to keep the IS on. I know I always kept it on when I had the 300/2.8.

According to the digital picture review of the 300/2.8 "The IS version on this lens is tripod-sensing. The Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens knows that a tripod is being used when vibrations go below a certain level. Keep IS turned on when mounting this lens on a tripod to take advantage of the secondary IS mode - reducing mirror slap, shutter and tripod vibrations."

This is also supported by Canon's Chuck Westfall who states that using I.S.on a tripod is actually beneficial for the tripod sensing lenses "In 2000 Canon released the next generation IS professional lenses. These lenses feature a "tripod-detection" mode which means that there is no problem using IS on a tripod. Even more than that - IS will correct vibrations caused by the mirror operations of the camera".

BTW that Rabbit shot is superb !

+1 for a superb rabbit shot :t:

Now I'm less certain on whether to choose the Sigma prime or a Canon 300 2.8 non-IS. Sigma has poor after sales service in Malaysia but Canon may not have the spare parts for the latter either....

I have just recently purchased this lens and IMO its fantastic!!

i have also just got a 1.4x TC for it and im hoping to get the 2x TC for xmas :D

although it is a little on the heavy side, i think it is a small price to pay for the image quality you get!

Please have a look at my website for some images i have taken with it. http://mikesbirdpics.weebly.com/index.html

cheers

+1 for a superb rabbit shot :t:

Now I'm less certain on whether to choose the Sigma prime or a Canon 300 2.8 non-IS. Sigma has poor after sales service in Malaysia but Canon may not have the spare parts for the latter either....

Just a point about the canon 300mm from what i`ve read the auto focus motors fail on these lenses & are not available from canon anymore.

Steve.B :)

Just a point about the canon 300mm from what i`ve read the auto focus motors fail on these lenses & are not available from canon anymore.

Steve.B :)

I think I've read somewhere that if it is 10yrs or more since the lens was discont. then Canon cease making spare parts for it.

Take a look at Mike Lane's 'Ramblings' and go to his entry for 25th November. Mike is still pursuing this matter so there may be an update...interesting reading!

http://mikelane81.wordpress.com/
That is strange Adrian, I always assumed that you would be a able to get any repairs to a lens that is still in production. I can understand it if they are out of production. Does this mean that you could not get a 100-400 or 400/5.6 repaired for lack of spares because they are more than 5 years old, surely there is some mistake!.

That is strange Adrian, I always assumed that you would be a able to get any repairs to a lens that is still in production. I can understand it if they are out of production. Does this mean that you could not get a 100-400 or 400/5.6 repaired for lack of spares because they are more than 5 years old, surely there is some mistake!.

Maybe Mike is talking about the 300mm f4 NON-IS which is no longer in production.

That is really strange then for Canon not to repair lenses that are sold new! Makes you wonder about their warranty!

Mike says he bought it new in 2004. Does anyone know when the 300mm was first released or if the non-IS was still available back then? I feel 99% sure he's actually got the 300mm f4 non-IS because no-one's Canon 300mm f4 IS would be able to be repaired if his statement was true. Spare parts must be freely interchangeable otherwise we'd be in a right mess.

Interesting that it is 5-7 years that Canon cease the spare parts. Means that 5yrs down the line all the MKI tele's that everyone has won't be worth a light if they go wrong! :eek!:

Mike says he bought it new in 2004. Does anyone know when the 300mm was first released or if the non-IS was still available back then? I feel 99% sure he's actually got the 300mm f4 non-IS because no-one's Canon 300mm f4 IS would be able to be repaired if his statement was true. Spare parts must be freely interchangeable otherwise we'd be in a right mess.

Interesting that it is 5-7 years that Canon cease the spare parts. Means that 5yrs down the line all the MKI tele's that everyone has won't be worth a light if they go wrong! :eek!:
The 300/4 IS was just about the first Canon I.S. lens to be produced I think - it and the 100-400 are the only two current lenses that still have the first generation I.S.System still in them from what I have read. I would be certain that the 300/4 IS was first produced before 2000.
I cannot see how Mike thinks it could be the I.S. Module that has packed up if he has a non IS lens!
EDIT: The 300/4 non IS was discontinued around 1998 so your 99% guess is wrong I am afraid Adam ;)

Last edited:
I wanted to just get confirmation from someone cos the only 300mm f4 I'd have thought you could buy new in 2004 would have been the IS so that tallies but I just can't believe that Canon can't repair a lens that is still in production. Maybe he's getting jerked around by Canon as per the thread in the Canon forum and if he went to Fixation or Lehman's he might get a different story.

Something just doesn't add up here.

I just can't believe that Canon can't repair a lens that is still in production. Maybe he's getting jerked around by Canon as per the thread in the Canon forum and if he went to Fixation or Lehman's he might get a different story.

Something just doesn't add up here.
As I said earlier there is some mistake here, could it be that when Mike enquired he just said it was a 300/4 and Canon assumed (quite rightly) that it must be the old non IS model because it did not say it was the 300/4 IS.
Canon saying that they do not carry spares for any lens over 5 years old is obviously not right - bet they were referring the lenses that have been discontinued for 5 years.

I wrote to Mike a few days ago. Obviously it would be inappropriate to copy his reply on an open forum but the upshot is that he has heard of this before. It is Mike's understanding that the model he purchased back in 2004 is the same as that which is in production today (yes the IS unit was a clue) but it does not mean that the parts that are made for the current model are the same as the old one. This does of course raise one or two interesting questions. Mike will update his blog when he finds out more.

Roy you could be right, such things are easy to happen but since Mike has been in correspondence one wonders?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back