• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

great grey shrike (Lanius excubitor), Marrakech (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
While exploring a large area of wasteland, on the edge of the city, I spotted a small Acacia bush. When I got close enough, I saw that there were whole/partial beetles impaled all over the plant.
Later that day, I spotted a candidate for the massacre.
Fof
Any idea as to the ID of the Acacia?

Attachments

• P1070183.jpg
    P1070183.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P1070271.jpg
    P1070271.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 7
I think the plant is not an Acacia - or from a closely related genus. I've spent about 30 mins trying to work it out and I'm foxed. Maybe its from Lamiaceae - a stab in the dark based on leaf appearance. Lovely elegans Shrike, takes me back.

Simon
Sorry, I was a bit sloppy there. I should have said acacia rather than Acacia. It appears that the taxonomists have decided that only the Australiasian spp are in the Genus Acacia. All the African spp have been divided between 2 new Genera, Vachellia & Senegalia.
Most, if not all acacia, both African & Australisian, belong, as far as I know (I'm researching hard), to the Fabaceae, the leaves of which are totally different.
I have seen video and pics of camel and giraffe (?) browsing on thorn trees (hence acacia) with leaves of this shape.
Further research needed. B :)
Thanks
Fof

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back