• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Spotted Sandpiper x Solitary Sandpiper hybrid? NY (1 Viewer)

It may not be obvious from this photo, but this bird is MUCH lighter and a purer brownish color than any Solitary Sandpiper I've ever seen, in person or photo. It was viewed side-by-side with normal Solitaries, by experienced birders, and it was clear to all that this was a highly anomalous individual. Initially, I wrote it off to some sort of global leucism, but several people have called the bird's facial pattern to attention (namely, what appears to be a rather Spotted-esque double-eyeline).

I don't expect to get a slam dunk ID on this bird, I was just curious to hear other opinions.

If that's so you're of course right in your leucism-diagnosis.

The picture just appeared somewhat pallid to me, but if there was an obvious difference to the colour tone of this individual compared to other juveniles of the same species, then the case is clear:

These shorebirds vary very little in general colour in a fresh plumage.

Congratulations with your rare find.

Peter

I don't expect to get a slam dunk on this bird, I was just curious to hear other opinions.

I agree with Peter - Solitary Sandpiper. Regardless of any pigment abnomalities, the structure and markings of the bird don't really leave any other possibilities :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back