• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willet or ? help please. S. Manitoba, July 28, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hello, the attached photo was taken at the beach at St. Ambroise, Southern Manitoba, on July 28, 2023. I was thinking it was either a solitary sandpiper or a willet, due to the colour of the legs being greyish I believe. Unfortunately, it is the only photo of this bird. Due to the spotting on the back, the dark breast and the eye ring I was thinking it might be a solitary sandpiper. But then the heavy bill and the dark legs made me think of willet, though the bill perhaps is not long enough?
ID help sought, and all comments, corrections and advice much appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_19d9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_19d9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
It is indeed a Willet.
Thick bill like you pointed out. Size also helps, as Solitairy is fairly small in comparison and looks more dainty.

The thick-based evenly-tapering (and longish) straight bill rules out everything else. And legs are too long for solitary sandpiper.

Thanks Indobirder and Butty, much appreciated. When looking at Sibley it seemed that the bill was longer and bi-coloured in juvenile and that the back pattern was off for an adult. Still have lots of work to do in improving my birding id:)
thanks again for looking and the helpful advice on what to focus on for identification.
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back