• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (1 Viewer)

On the way to work this morning (5.10am) a pair of Barn Owls were hunting the verges of the A465 at Tredegar.They were also present throughout last winter but vanished through the summer.Also no Black Redstart this evening at Rassau.

The Black Redstart was still showing well at Rassau Industrial Estate 14:45 today. Seems to be staying for a while!
Gary

After me saying what rarity will turn up next, a pectoral sandpiper arrived at goldcliff and showed well all evening after i shot down from work until i had to rush off again to a meeting!

Glad the black redstart is still about.

I think you would be better off going up in the evening Alan.A lot more food about for it then.Give me a ring before you go and I will pop up with you.

good luck, it doesnt seem to show very well in the mornings so try the afternoon or evening!

The black redstart is showing brilliantly this morning so much for it being a evening bird. Very quiet up here today so not much disturbance shoulod be good for pics.
Thanks,
Paul

Well, went up around lunchtime...stayed an hour and no sign so ended up driving about here there and everywhere in search of some bird life...nothing - they must be on holidays! Went to fill Mike's feeder's down SVR and stayed an hour - not a single tit came to the feeder. (they will be full hopefully for your visit tomorrow Mike) Then decided to give the redstart one last chance....as I drove into the unit Mike's car was there and he informed me he had seen the bird very close but it had wandered off again. Luckily (and at last) the bird appeared on the fence behind us for a little while - so I got to see it after all - but it didn't move around to the posts we were hoping it would land on so we could get some shots. I stayed a little while after Mike but the bird didn't appear again, I left at 7.15pm.

Anyone seen any Redwing yet?I saw two small flocks (15-20 birds),on Thursday and Friday, of small thrushes flying very high eastwards at dusk.They were too high to determine species(just sillouettes) and they werent calling.Any ideas?

i would of thought its far to early for redwing, maybe the odd bird in the east but not flocks yet. Its usuallt mid october before we get flocks.

Hope i am not ebing too stupid but behaviour sounds like starlings, which arn't to disimilar from redwing if seen flying high. See the collins book, it shows a comparison.

Good views of stonechat right next to the car in the layby for Garnlydan reservoir this pm. Also excellent views of a female kestrel being mobbed for it's catch metres away from the road further north. Who needs binos?

Had great fun this morning trying to get to Newport wetlands! got caught in the usual traffic when i realised it was about 2 miles from the M4! then i heard on the radio that the M4 was closed and all traffic was being diverted through town. so after 2 hours i only got half waay through newport (about 4-5 miles?) then the car started to over-heat!!!! Right in the middle of a traffic jam on the inside lane. So had to stop, but thankfully after a few minutes a tow truck pulled along side and offered to tow me to Nash. i then took a further hour to get 2-3 miles to nash but we finally got there. I topped up me water in the car had a look to see if everything was working (not on fire or similar) and got to goldcliff at 10:10. i left the house at aroudn 7 this morning!

Thankfully there were birds there! a few curlew sandpipers which showed really well in front of the first plateform, also 2 little stint with the 150+ dunlin and 40 ringed plover. Also the usual 100+ Blkwits and a few knot with them. Sadly, first thing this morning there were 2 wood sandpipers showing really well but they went at around half seven! (i would have been there then!). There were also 3 ruff. We thought we might have had one of the wood sandpipers flying overhead but went off in the distance and was never seen again.

After that, i decided to onto Uskmouth (given that the M4 was still closed) given my sucess last week. The only highlight this week was a bearded tit that showed breifly. Did get a few pics of some chiffchaffs and willow warblers, so i will post them once i've downloaded them.

Hopefully it will be a bit better tommororow!

pic 1 spot the little stint!
pic 2 spot the curlew sand! (its a bit easier)
pic 3 another curlew sand.
pic 4 Chiffchaff

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 147
  • curlew sand.JPG
    curlew sand.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 138
oh, i forgot, the black redstart was still there this evening though i had to wait an hour before it showed and it was only briefly in unit 13. It was really windy!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back