• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The amazing Contax SL300RT* (1 Viewer)

There is Kyocera SL300R at my photo shop.
Does anybody know if there is a big difference between Kyocera SL300R and Kyocera SL400R
for digiscoping purpose? Are they both good enough?

Thanks for the advice.
Mariusz

mblank said:
There is Kyocera SL300R at my photo shop.
Does anybody know if there is a big difference between Kyocera SL300R and Kyocera SL400R
for digiscoping purpose? Are they both good enough?

Thanks for the advice.
Mariusz
There is a similar thread on this forum regarding the Kyocera sl400r by Andy Holt.
The Zeiss lens on the Contax versions may make some slight difference in certain circumstances vs the Kyocera version, but the photos taken by Andy Holt are exceptional. You may have difficulty in obtaining the 28mm filter adapters supplied with the Contax... they are not supplied with the Kyocera. You would need to ask Contax for this item.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy.

I am sorry but I was not clear enough. I asked for an advice whether Kyocera SL300R is as good as Kyocera SL400R for digiscoping. I know that the last one is OK.
But Kyocera SL300R is not the same camera as Contax SL300RT. Kyocera is definitely cheaper. In the shop they do not know what is the difference between those kyoceras.

Regards+Pozdrawiam,
Mariusz

mblank said:
Thanks Andy.

I am sorry but I was not clear enough. I asked for an advice whether Kyocera SL300R is as good as Kyocera SL400R for digiscoping. I know that the last one is OK.
But Kyocera SL300R is not the same camera as Contax SL300RT. Kyocera is definitely cheaper. In the shop they do not know what is the difference between those kyoceras.

Regards+Pozdrawiam,
Mariusz
The Kyocera SL300 is a 3.34mp camera and the SL400 is a 4mp camera, that is the only difference as far as I know... both are suitable, the difference between 3 and 4 mp is minor in reality.
regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Dunno, it works without smoke... and is safe to use on the camera according to Contax/Kyocera. Whilst the battery pack is plugged in, it also recharges the internal battery. Yep, 4 AA batteries. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the manufacturers say it's safe.

The external mains psu/charger supplied with the camera delivers 5v.

Someone asked about the power input plug... it's a standard one, but I couldn't tell you what size.

regards,
Andy

The power input plug IS available from Bardwells of Sheffield, its a 1.7mm x 4mm coaxial dc plug

I have built my own external power pack.

See this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=21831

Peteg

Last edited:
Hi Andy - Christine and all those interested! Have managed to locate a Power Pack. Caroline at Contax was most helpful and put me on to Caplin (020 7807 9990) who have put one in the post. Actually what they didi was take details (money!) and phone Contax back and asked them to post it direct. Both places were really helpful. Now all I need is that Royal mail will do its job!!!
Hope you are managing now with the rings and adapters Christine. I do find it easier to leave them on. Was amused because I asked Contax to send me a spare and they said the last two had been ordered!!! On reading your last post - I know who the customer is!! Better luck with the new ones.
Kim

Actually,Kim,I rang and asked for 2 spares,but in the letter with cheque,asked for 4!!.Sorry. !! I have a problem attaching the filter ring to the camera lens.No, I do not remove from the adaptor,only when split.Just need some decent weather next week,and some spare time and will have another try.Have a good weekend,Kim.If you do snap your ring,and Contax have none left ,e- mail or PM me and I'll send you one of mine,ie provided Contax do send them or they have any left in stock.

another day with beautiful light on the East coast---in the absence of any rare birds practising on Coots!--My other digi camera is the rather old Coolpix 880 but I get the impression that the Contax handles contrast and colour balance better than that model at least--attached are a Coot steaming head on and M Swan--note that I have not change levels or sharpened these at all just as they were taken--also the advantage of 3.5fps with Coot pulling up and eating weed---now if I can just get that hovering Pallas's

Attachments

• C00t a.jpg
    C00t a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 154
  • MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 162
  • C00t sa.jpg
    C00t sa.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 147
  • C00t ra.jpg
    C00t ra.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 155
  • C00t ta.jpg
    C00t ta.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 172
Hi Graham,

Great results with the Contax. I hope to be taking delivery of one shortly. The colours and tones have been handled exceptionally well. It meters very well indeed. The the swan and coot are great subjects for demonstrating the contrast range the camera can handle. Detail has been retained in both the white and the blacks.

Let me ask a question that has been asked previously but which has not yet been answered directly. Is the Contax model demonstrably better-performing than the Kyocera SL400R? The Kyocera will provide larger files, which Jay has estimated would increase resolution some 10% or so. And the camera's price is lower. Is the lens quality of the Contax 10% (or more) better? Has anyone been able to do a side-by-side comparison yet? I'm wondering if there's an element here of Kyocera adding a bit to the price (and reputation?) of the Contax because of "the name."

Doug Greenberg said:
Let me ask a question that has been asked previously but which has not yet been answered directly. Is the Contax model demonstrably better-performing than the Kyocera SL400R? The Kyocera will provide larger files, which Jay has estimated would increase resolution some 10% or so. And the camera's price is lower. Is the lens quality of the Contax 10% (or more) better? Has anyone been able to do a side-by-side comparison yet? I'm wondering if there's an element here of Kyocera adding a bit to the price (and reputation?) of the Contax because of "the name."
I wouldn't have thought anyone has both cameras but it would be interesting to see the results regarding the lens if anyone manages it.

Other than the Zeiss T* lens, the Contax does have a better finish (genuine leather finish) and the 28mm adapter.... nothing too much but it would all add something extra to production costs.

Graham,those images of Swan and coot are spot on.Very good indeed.It seems this little camera really has got a lot going for it!!

Andy Bright said:
I wouldn't have thought anyone has both cameras but it would be interesting to see the results regarding the lens if anyone manages it.

A regular birding friend of mine has the Contax, whilst I have the Kyocera SL400 As soon as I get the chance I will try and compare the two together in the same conditions (not necessarily digiscoping).

Oh by the way I bought 4 batteries off ebay (PJ's World new york) last week, for £34 inc' postage. Received them within 5 days of sale. The only difference that I can see is that they fit in the camera a little tighter than the originals and take a little bit of tugging at to get out.
Mark

Last edited:
Took this picture yesterday of a juvenile Dotterel on the Great Orme in North Wales using the Contax SL300RT* camera only no digiscoping, usual sharpen and lightened, picture is not cropped, my friend Gary Bellingham a bird photographer, had visited the bird on Friday morning and had told me that it was very approachable, even to the point when a Peregrine flew over, the dotterel ran and sat right next to Gary for protection ,and then moved back to its position when the danger had passed ! The bird did react yesterday by crouching when Large Gulls, Corvids, Kestrels, the model gliders flying around and dogs appeared, but not to people !

Attachments

• Kicx8334web600b.jpg
    Kicx8334web600b.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 258
Spotted Fly attached both taken within a couple of minutes in similar light Web2 with Contax at 2x and Svaro scope 20x and Web with Coolpix 880 on 2x and Svaro on 20x (zoom eyepiece) bird was close and obliging---is there much to tell between them--neither have been altered in any way apart from reduction in resolution

Attachments

• Sp Fly web.jpg
    Sp Fly web.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Sp Fly web2.jpg
    Sp Fly web2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 221
Smashing photo's Graham..., I don't think there is much between them quality wise. Is the Contax the left pic? Have you a preference now with your two cameras - or is it early days? I have the 4500 and I am not sure - need another few good sessions with both. But you have produced some great shots.
Kim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back