• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Warbler - late March, between El Palayo and Algeciras (1 Viewer)

D_Greenwell

Environmental Scientist and birder
Hello all

Looking for some help with the ID of a warbler seen on a recent (and fantastic) trip birdwatching in the Andalucia region. Specifically it was seen at the 'Observatorio Aves Algarrobo', just off the N-340 between El Palayo and Algeciras on Monday the 2nd April.

Any help would be much appreciated as we have a couple of thoughts but could do with some expert advice!

Apologise for the images, this was right at the limit of my lens

Thanks and happy birding!

Attachments

• Warbler-1-min.jpg
    Warbler-1-min.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Warbler-2-min.jpg
    Warbler-2-min.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Warbler-3-min.jpg
    Warbler-3-min.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Warbler-4-min.jpg
    Warbler-4-min.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "I bet its an Iberian Chiffchaff". The PP looks a tadge long to me for Common (primary spacing anyone?), especially in the last photo. Also, they breed at the location - and throughout areas with Cork Oaks down there. I used to live near there (approx. 1km) for some 13 years and Iberian Chiffchaffs (what we would then then call subsp. brehmii) would be singing all around (Mar-June), with Bonelli's Warblers mainly north of the N340.

However, there is no guarantee, as for sure some Common Chiffchaffs would have (and are) still been around. Its certainly one or the other, and as you probably know, its much easier to hear them sing.

It's difficult to judge plumage tones accurately with so much yellow in the photo but they look OK for typical Iberian whilst the PP does look a tad long for a bog standard Chiffie. Simon's right to cautious but I'd agree that Iberian Chiffchaff is the more likely option.

Hi all

Thank you for the information! Unfortunately we didn't hear it singing, which probably would have made things a lot easier.

David

Tib, is there something in particular that you can see in that respect?

There is Simon. The long PP, notched tail and face pattern as seen in the first image with the bird head on, along with several other details look all good for WW in my view.

I had (seemingly erroneously) discounted WW from the start, maybe swayed by the fact that WW is only thinly occuring in the spring in this area, whereas Iberian Chiffchaffs are very common. As far as the PP is concerned, at least when I manage a close steady view (I don't hardly take photos) ICs always seem to me, to show an intermediate length between CC and WW. Saying that, in these photos there could be a foreshortening effect and in the last photo, although looking long like WW, I though it hard to judge due to the tertails sitting out of position.

Looking at the head pattern I had expected that the super would be a bit more flared behind the eye for WW. The notched tail feature is not one I know of - I suppose if I had taken up ringing I would ;) Saying that, I rarely struggle to separate these 3 in the field, at least on decent views.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back