• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What use are reviews? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Someone, apologies for forgetting who, put forward the view in the discussion on Ultravid bins, that reviews in the popular birding press were useless. Although the point was made with regard to optics reviews, it was made even more strongly with regard to book reviews ("don't even get me started on book reviews" I think was the line). Well, let's get started!

In my view, read sensibly, optics reviews in the like of 'Birdwatch' & 'Birdwatching' (in the UK) and 'Birding' (in the USA) are both useful and, by and large, fair. No, I don't agree with everything said, but they are useful for sorting the wheat from the chaff.

As for book reviews - and I've penned a few myself - again I generally find them useful. Those that get 'Birding' will know that one well known world class birder has written a somewhat dispeptic letter bemoaning the lack of rigour in recent reviews. I think he's being too harsh.

So, reviews - good news or merely an excuse for partisan axe grinding? John

A review of reviews... isn't that a circular argumement!

I read reviews. With books I tend to believe them and purchase accordingly, though not without thumbing through them myself. With optics I think you need to try them.... reviews might help me come up with a shortlist.

I think reviews serve two useful purposes. They do help you choose between, as you say, the wheat and the chaff (but in truth, there's not much chaff around that isn't obvious enough to need confirmation).

And they also make you feel good when you own the product that has been given a wonderful review...

But they are not rigorous in my view and certainly are no longer objective in any way - and that is pure laziness on behalf of the publisher.

Last edited:
Watcha John

guilty as charged - it was me.

What I meant was that a review of something like Howard and Moore checklist in the 'popular' birding mags (I don't think I'd include Birding World in this though) is usually too superficial to be of any real use. A good review of something like that or the Beaman and Madge guide is perhaps out of the scope of the popular mags due to space limits. Tim Inskipp has penned a review of Howard and Moore for the forthcoming OBC Bulletin that is an excellent example of a quality, in-depth review.

I remember we also reviewed the recent China Guide and it got a bit of a panning but it was also reviewed in either BirdWatch or Birdwatching in a few lines saying it wasn't really that good but without a real critique of it or what it lacked. Not much use if you actually want to go to China and need to know a bit about the book

tend to agree with Scampo on most points.

Optic wise you've got to look thru them not read a possibly biased review. And models are perhaps often compared to other recent models or current competitors rather than still relevant and often used models by todays birders that are perhaps older.....

I often tend to think that book reviews in most birdwatching mags are a bit too nice. Not that I'm advocating unnecessary criticism but a lot of it just seems to be patting the authors on the back and saying 'well done for all your hard work'. I suspect that this syndrome helps explain why there were no significant improvements in fieldguides between Peterson and Johnson/ Collins Guide.

Hi Andrew,
You obviously didn't read Anthony McGeehan's review of the "new" Sibley guides in BB?Ouch!;)
Harry H

Hi Harry,

Missed that one, although Anthony's one of the few who doesn't mince his words. The exception that proves the rule though I fear.

Talking of reviews - the review section of this web site is coming along very nicely indeed with respect to equipment - couldn't you expert birders add a review of a useful birding book or two?

I agree with John that some of the book reviews are too nice. But so often the mag is selling the book at a discount (pre-publication offer) that you wonder...
I do enjoy reading book reviews, even of books I already own. And I would certainly like to see far more reviews on this site. (I've tried to set the ball rolling with a very short review of the latest moth field guide... but I suspect that, as I am a novice at moths, my review will be poorly regarded by those with more experience. Still, if it stimulates others to add their tuppence worth, it will have achieved something.)
Of course, there are some field guides that, however inadequate, are the best available for their area... and it's a help to know this when you are visiting some little known country. Having said that, more and more countries and regions are getting first-class field guides now. The book I had when I went to New Zealand, for example, has been completely outclassed since then.

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Steve,
I'd love to write a review of a book,especially if I got a free sample copy....;)
Harry H

You should send a review to a publisher, Harry - they'll usually pay around £100-00 for it.

One thing that I don't like about some reviews is when they waffle on about a couple of small errors. In the end the whole review will have been taken up by comments about a couple of spelling mistakes on page 84 and then right at the end they'll say 'but overall these shouldn't detract from what is an essential book for anyone interested in this area/bird/genus'

What gets my goat when they equate value for money with optical performance. Apparently it is impossible, in Birdwatching, for a £300 bin to be better value than a £900 bin, they seem to think that Optical performance is all that matters. The more you spend you don't get exponentially better performance. You get fractions. For many birders they don't need that extra bit. some Birders do.

Birdwatching find that hard to twig.

pduxon said:
What gets my goat when they equate value for money with optical performance. Apparently it is impossible, in Birdwatching, for a £300 bin to be better value than a £900 bin, they seem to think that Optical performance is all that matters. The more you spend you don't get exponentially better performance. You get fractions. For many birders they don't need that extra bit. some Birders do.

Birdwatching find that hard to twig.

I agree with this point. It would be quite interesting to do a poll on BF about which bins are best value for money. Though I suppose the drawback is that most of us have probably only looked through a tiny fraction of the many different models on the market.
I've go an old 60mm Kowa scope which was, I suppose, bottom of the range when it was produced. Yet someone who was rather snooty about it (he had a much more modern 80mm affair) was impressed when he looked through it (admittedly in good light). I'm sure his was better but he may have paid four times as much for what was a fairly small improvement. So his scope should score more on quality and mine on value for money.

My son still happily uses my old Kowa TS601 60mm scope with a 30xW eyepiece and it undoubtedly gives a wide, clear and sharp view. The colours are pretty faithful to the original and in many important ways it would be difficult to better. As you suggest, in poor light a larger objective is bound to produce a brighter image but I don't think Kowa have ever been bottom of anything. It is a lovely lightweight scope.

Well said Pete! Agree 100% :clap:

I think in rating optics, they should take the number of stars awarded for optical quality, etc., and then divide that by the price in hundreds of pounds (to the nearest hundred) to give a value for money rating.

Michael

As the chief book reviewer for Bird Watching magazine, I've got a few comments to add to some of the points made.

In a typical month, something like 12-20 books arrive in the office for possible review. In a good month, I get space to review three, usually less. So of course I have to choose which ones go in and you tend to pick the most interesting titles or the ones that will appeal most to your readership. Please write to the editor and complain that you would like to see more reviews!)

This last point is important, not least in the tone of the review. Our readership would not claim to be as scholarly a sthat of, say, British Birds. The tone of the review reflects that.

By selecting such a small proportion of titles submitted, you are always going to get a large percentage of 'nice reviews' because you tend to pick the best books rather than the mundane.

It doesn't follow that every review heaps praise on the title. I hated the book about trying to see 1000 birds in the year and said so despite the fact that we had a special offer going. I also took a huge amount of flak for my review of one of the identification guides with all sorts of letters flying back and forth.

With the limited space available, there just isn't room for a decent criticism. Usually the best you can do is give a flavour of what the book is about and suggest what sort of person it would appeal to.

As to picking up the spelling errors on page 89 or whatever, this is a device to show that the reviewer has actually bothered to open the book in the first place and not review it from the press release (grin) It also serves to suggest that the book has not been edited or proofread as well as it might have been and is indicative of a genaral slipshod quality

I would be the first to concede that I don't have the ornithological skill to pass comment on the technical skill of every artist and the veracity of everything written but against that, in our magazine, there would be neither the space nor the interest in doing so.

Against that, I have reviewed more bird books than anyone else in the country by a considerable distance. I have a huge library, mostly self bought as I don't get to keep many of the review copies - they go back to the office library.

There is a huge second category of birders who just like collecting bird books regardless of their technical merit and it is probably these people that I relate to more. Books aren't cheap these days with many titles coming out at £50 or so. You always have to ask 'How would I feel paying that sort of money for this book.'

What you get with my style of reviewing - which, as with all book reviews is at best a subjective view - is a sense of consistency. Because I have seen so many books, I get a genuine feel for what is good and what is bad in my opinion. You might disagree totally with my review but you will know that if I don't like something, then you will or vice versa.

Similarly, I have had letters from people saying that they wouldn't normally have touched a book but because i said it was worth a look, they sought it out.

It is just the same with film reviews. You either like or loathe Johnathan Ross or Barry Norman but you get to know their likes and dislikes.

Which brings us to the whole point of reviews in the first place.. On one level of course, they serve no purpose whatsoever. You're intelligent, go and make your own mind up. It's not quite as bad as a review of a one-off concert that you have no chance of seeing but it's not much better.

Against that, if you are going to South Africa for your holiday, it is useful to know that the field guide you were going to buy has been bettered by something else. Or, if you are going to spend all your Christmas book tokens, that you don't waste them on XXXXXX by XXXX

Gordon

PS And yes, I did praise the gulls book to the skies when it came out and I stand by review even though the book was subsequently recalled - most of the problems were of a technical nature rather than bad text and artwork.

fair points well made Gordon

as you say the problem the popular magazines have is space limitations - they have to review these books but what can you really say in such a short space other than a general impression......

the gull's text is excellent and superbly edited (as usual!) by Nigel Collar. I wouldn't call the wholesale mis-captioning of the plates etc a technical error. It does make the book 'technically' unusable though!

I disagree to some extent. It's technical because it occurred via the publishers rather than the authors. I received a large errata list with my copy and most of the other transpositions were self-evident eg adult and 1st-winter plumage captions the wrong way round. Most of the faults concerned the wrong photographers being credited and while it understandedly annoyed them, it affected me not a jot <grin>

Not that this excuses the monumental cock up but I suspect that most purchasers could cope. Put it this way. Have you stopped looking at it and are you ignoring it totally, until the new version arrives? Because I haven't!

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back