• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bins (1 Viewer)

Chigman,

In your price range if you are willing to consider a less common format, the Celestron Granite 7x33 would be another option to consider the main attraction being the *combination* of the 477' FOV and the increased DOF of the 7x. For whatever reason the price has fluctuated between US $200 and $320 over the past year or so. The 15mm ER may be a little short if you have to use glasses.

Mike

It really is personal, if there is anywhere you can go and try a few out you'll be able to get a feel for what you like. Specifications and reviews are only so much to go by, really until you hold them in your hand you can't be sure whether you'll like them or not. That being said, Vortex Diamondback HD models are probably one of the most popular in that price range, and come with a very good guarantee and level of accessories.

Have a look at Vanguard Endeavor EDII 8x42 @£177 and also the ED IV 8x42 @£247 on EBay ....both brand new and f you look on Allbinos you'll see that they are rated very high.
I have the EDII 8's which I paid £299 a year ago and they are excellent and compare very well with my Zeiss Conquests.
Ian

As many have already said, nothing replaces first hand experience: touching, using, feeling. I'm sure many here have been disappointed by binoculars that receive a lot of praise and/or have experienced an unexpected surprise when using some "unsung hero".
On the other hand, you don't mention any detail that can be crucial when trying to give you any advice at all.
- Format: magnification, lens diameter, weight
- Intended use (weather, holiday day, serious birding dawn/dusk, long range/coast, forest, etc.)
- Whether you use glasses or are old/young (these details can steer your choice in one direction or away from some choices)

Having said that, an advice I wish I had been given a while back is: don't underestimate second hand. Since you live in the UK, which is a DPAB (Densely Populated Area of Birders ;) ) I'm sure you can find great deals on second hand binoculars, where 250 GBP can be stretched to amazing lengths (the Classified subforum here on Birdforum is usually a good proof of that). You are not unlikely to find a pretty good example of a middle-class device from a previous generation still in great shape.
Then, big brands that produce reasonable quality at lowish prices (such as Nikon Monarch 5) are usually a safe bet, or else some "enfants terribles" like the Vanguard Endeavor and the like.

Hope this helps :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back