• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

‘Windscreen wipers’ for bins! (1 Viewer)

Grando

Ok, so this is quite tongue in cheek, but the new tech in the Swarovski Visio got me thinking about other innovations that it might be good to see in binoculars. One thing that’s always bugged me is how unusable bins quickly get in heavy rain (particularly, wet objective lenses). Would some kind of blower/heater ever be feasible to keep the rain off/dry them more quickly?! Or, probably more realistically, could we see improved hydrophobic coatings that work effectively? (Or is the latter unlikely since env regs put paid to Swaroclean?)

What other new binocular innovations would people like to see introduced?

Is Swaroclean the only effective hydrophobic coating out there? How do the other perform?

The thing with extra tech is that it's an added liability out in the field. Part of the reason I haven't plunged into the world of IS binoculars is that I know at some point I'm going to be worry about batteries. Their upkeep and potential leakage or other issues. I value as seamless of a viewing experience as possible.

How do the other perform?
From my experience the best is Zeiss LotuTec, then Leica AquaDura and the third is Nikon. LotuTec is so protective that, after years of using, the lenses of my binoculars look like new. They wipe off extremely quickly and completely, so you can say it's magic!

Last edited:
I didn't find much difference in the field between coatings - they're all basically the same restricted PFAs. They improve beading, but a few big beads of water rather than lots of small ones still obscure and distort vision. They probably do make cleaning slightly quicker though.

Also, Zeiss uses this LotuTec for eyeglasses! Another anti-reflective protective layer from Zeiss is DuraVision, which is also used for eyeglasses in medical industry. Just like with my binoculars, with my eyeglasses I have noticed, from my own experience, differences in maintaining the qualities of the surfaces lenses over time. I have three pairs of glasses (different frame) with the same medical prescription, but I bought lenses from different brands: Zeiss, Hoya and Nikon. The ones that have these layers are kept clean and are rarely scratched. The ones that don't have these layers need to be wiped more often, so over time the coating suffers more from this often cleaning!
So for me it is a big difference, but one that can be seen only over time!

PS
Of course, strict rules must be followed when cleaning the lenses. The air pump is used first, then the antistatic brush and only then the actual wiping solution with fine and gentle movements (LensPen, microfibre with distilled water, wet optical wipes, etc.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back